Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We originally had Zoe on Revolution for her flea and tick meds because that is what our breeder recommended. We weren't so sure about Frontline (our second choice) because the smallest dosage they make is for 11 to 22 lb dogs. Anyway, my vet strongly recommended using Frontline because Revolution does not protect against internal parasites (I think that's what it is).
So we put Frontline on her last night and I still feel a little uncertain about it. It seemed like the dosage was WAY bigger than the Revolution (which was for 5 lbs and under because Zoe is only 3 lbs) and today her hair is still pretty greasy where I put it on.
Also, right before bed (about 20 minutes after we gave her the Frontline) she started going nuts! I mean she would NOT settle down. She was barking and growling and running everywhere which she normally doesn't do to such an extreme extent so near bedtime.
Does anyone else use Frontline?
What do you think of it?
Am I just overreacting?? :wacko:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Frontline has now been approved for 0-22 lbs. I talked to someone at the company and they said they are now printing that on their packaging.

I have been using that on Lexi since May and have not had any problems. The hair will stay only for a few days. I usually time Lexi's baths for 3 days after I do the Frontline. My guess would be it was just puppy behavior. How old is she now?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy is on Frontline and he hasn't had any bad reactions to it and I've never seen a single flea on him. *knock on wood* I actually just put a dosage on him last night and he's still a little grease ball today. That's the worst part of the Frontline to me is the greasy fur.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We are on frontline plus too...it helps some, but we still have a flea here and there. The inside cats too... <_<

I have also had the house sprayed by the exterminator. Going to try that again in another week or so...see if one more spraying helps. I don't think they are much in the carpet because they are not biting me. Usually I am their favorite snack. I have no bites...so must just be on the fur butts.

I am also going to the vet this afternoon and may ask him.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the reassurance everyone!

I just get so paranoid about every little thing with her.
The going wild might just be because she is still a little one (four month birthday on the 27th) and goes a little nuts sometimes.
I am SO glad to hear that it was finally approved for 0-22 lbs....My vet told me it would be fine over and over but I was still a little wary.
Thanks everyone!
-Brittany & Zoe

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I asked my vet about the few fleas I was finding after using frontline plus and he said a "few" was ok. He said because I was finding them at the ends of the hair...and not crawling under the hair...they were probably dying when I found them. He said they (the fleas)have to bite them (the dogs) to get the meds from their oil glands or something. So until they actually take a nibble, the meds do no good. He said it should be better when flea season slows down. He didn't recommend double dosing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
* I love that name Brinkley*

Anywho back on topic LOL We use Advantix and BOY did it work fast. We live in Texas, and we have some killer ticks out here! When we got Britn'y we took her outside just to go to the bathroom and BAM she had ticks. We had to HURRY and get her on advantix b/c you can use it at 10 weeks

It worked FAST and we have yet to see a tick or flea!

However I was thinking of switching to Revolutions because it protects agains heartworm too and you can use any kind of shampoo because although its topical it doesn't wash off!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Aug 30 2004, 06:37 PM
* I love that name Brinkley*

However I was thinking of switching to Revolutions because it protects agains heartworm too and you can use any kind of shampoo because although its topical it doesn't wash off!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8016
[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I love his name too..and so far it is original...haven't seen another one named that. :D

Just wondering if the Revolution is cheaper or more cost effective to get it all in one? The flea and heartworm?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Revolution was my first choice but the reason we feel it isn't as safe as Frontline is because it does not protect against internal parasites (as Frontline does).

·
Registered
447 Posts
What are "internal parasites"? I always thought those were heartworms....

I need to know all this stuff!! LOL

I am thinking of switching to frontline plus though. Even the vet said it was better than Advantix.... I dunno though...

·
Registered
260 Posts
We use Advantage on Sassi. That is all we have ever used on her and we have never had a problem with fleas. We give her Interceptor for the heartworm.
This combination has worked on her and we have been very happy with it, even though they are probably getting outdated by the newer, better drugs.
I guess we feel like the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...LOL
Pam/Sassi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts