Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet suggested Frontline or Advantix for fleas and ticks because we will be in Tennessee for a month and ticks are bad there. I remember someone posting about purchasing a pack and being able to draw up exactly what dosage you need for each dog. I would rather give them exactly what they need rather than overdosing them on unnecessary medication.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I keep around Frontline Top Spot (not Frontline Plus) for cats. It's the exact same medicine as the Frontline Top Spot for dogs, but the dosage is smaller. I only use it once or twice a year, as Nikki is an inside dog.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Rarely use any sort of flea/tick control on either of mine...so far no problems. I just don't like the idea of feeding my dog pesticide (ie Revolution) or applying it topically for absorption into their little systems. I do understand that many people are in infested areas or spend a lot more time outside, in which case you have to weigh the cost per value yourself. Sounds like you should for where you are going this summer, though.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Rarely use any sort of flea/tick control on either of mine...so far no problems. I just don't like the idea of feeding my dog pesticide (ie Revolution) or applying it topically for absorption into their little systems. I do understand that many people are in infested areas or spend a lot more time outside, in which case you have to weigh the cost per value yourself. Sounds like you should for where you are going this summer, though.
I do not use Revolution, I use Sentineal tabs for PREVENTION. Revolution is not a pesticide, their website also boldly states that.
I dislike even giving Sentinel but sometimes preventing is better than treating.
I agree with you I hate the thought of giving the dogs any type of pesticide.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I was just wondering about something similar, I use Frontline Plus and it's for dogs under 22lb. Shiloh isn't even a 1/5 of that weight. Could I use partial dosage and save the rest, or will the ingredients deactivate once opened?

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
I was just wondering about something similar, I use Frontline Plus and it's for dogs under 22lb. Shiloh isn't even a 1/5 of that weight. Could I use partial dosage and save the rest, or will the ingredients deactivate once opened?
i use the small dog frontline upto 10lb and use it on 2 dogs it still works .

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I love the Frontline spray because you can customize the dosage. A $25 bottle lasts years for Lady and my two cats.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
We have had MUCH better luck with Advantix over Frontline--which made both dogs vomit which the vet said was a "coincidence." Uh, no. Advantix is also a repellant, which Frontline is not.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I want to know more about this. Does it work the same? How long does it last?
It works exactly the same. It kills both fleas and ticks. I spray some on a cosmetic puff (cotton balls are too absorbent), then rub it all over the body. I don't bother with the face or legs.

Vets don't tell you much about Frontline spray because they wouldn't make a profit if all their small dog and cat owners started using it!

Frontline spray

Excellent and inexpensive flea control for cats and small dogs

Frontline Spray works the same as Frontline Top Spot. It must be sprayed all over the body, so it is more difficult to use than spot treatment but works much faster. For cats and small dogs, Frontline spray is also much less expensive. Using Frontline spot treatment for cats costs about twelve dollars a month; the spray costs about a dollar- a huge difference. Frontline Spray is the least expensive way to effectively control fleas on cats and small dogs.

Flea control

I get it from Entirely Pets:

Frontline flea Spray Kills Fleas & Ticks

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
advantage and frontline are becoming less effective over the years b/c fleas are becoming immune to them. there r newer products on the market that may be more effective. promeris and vectra are both flea and tick. i cant say which is better b/c i dont use them but we started to sell vectra at our clinic and may be switching to promeris b/c aparently vectra gets too weak after repeated washings. if i see a flea on mine they get a capstar. if they need long term control they get a comfortis. but i dont have a tick problem. the sentinel that they r on prevents fleas from reproducing so they dont typically need long term control

·
Registered
844 Posts
It works exactly the same. It kills both fleas and ticks. I spray some on a cosmetic puff (cotton balls are too absorbent), then rub it all over the body. I don't bother with the face or legs.

Vets don't tell you much about Frontline spray because they wouldn't make a profit if all their small dog and cat owners started using it!

Frontline spray

Frontline Spray works the same as Frontline Top Spot. It must be sprayed all over the body, so it is more difficult to use than spot treatment but works much faster. For cats and small dogs, Frontline spray is also much less expensive. Using Frontline spot treatment for cats costs about twelve dollars a month; the spray costs about a dollar- a huge difference. Frontline Spray is the least expensive way to effectively control fleas on cats and small dogs.

Flea control

Thanks Marj for the link!!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Frontline spray

Flea control

Thank you Marj! How often do you apply it on Lady? Does it smell or make the coat greasy?

I'm thinking that this may be a better solution for Sophie & Bailey. If only Bailey used pee pads I wouldn't have to use anything!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Thank you Marj! How often do you apply it on Lady? Does it smell or make the coat greasy?

I'm thinking that this may be a better solution for Sophie & Bailey. If only Bailey used pee pads I wouldn't have to use anything!
Like Jaimie mentioned, a couple of years ago the fleas in my area became resistant to Frontline so I had to switch to Advantage. I'd used it for about 7or 8 years. Oddly, Advantage is what I started with with I first adopted Lady and it didn't work at the time.

Ticks are not a problem here so I applied it every 2-3 months as Frontline kills fleas for up to 3 months. I believe less is more when it comes to pesticides.

I looks wet when you first apply it, but it dries quickly. It's not greasy like K9 Advantix. It does have an odor until it dries, though.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I do not use Revolution, I use Sentineal tabs for PREVENTION. Revolution is not a pesticide, their website also boldly states that.
I dislike even giving Sentinel but sometimes preventing is better than treating.
I agree with you I hate the thought of giving the dogs any type of pesticide.
is Revolution then a repellant rather than an insecticide? Does that mean the fleas ar still around, they just jump on the owner instead of the animal? ((sigh))

Yikes...I hope not. :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts