Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone heard of Vetri-Repel Flea and Tick Wipes? I recently came across this, they claim it's all natural and prevents pests from detecting scents on the dog. Another friend feeds her dog garlic pills(for pets) everyday to repeal pests.

Yeager has been scratching a lot lately, and I'm hoping to find a new flea treatment program. I have been using Frontline but am considering trying something new.

Any good suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm not sure about fleas in general because we don't really have them here..but lately I've been reading a lot about 'brewers yeast and garlic' pills for dogs (I was going to ask about it here, if anyone used it w/their malt)..but I keep reading that it's good for flea prevention -because of the garlic. It's good for other things too..but the flea thing is one benefit, evidently.

It seems like these pills are regularly given to dogs but I don't know if they're okay for Maltese?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure about fleas in general because we don't really have them here..but lately I've been reading a lot about 'brewers yeast and garlic' pills for dogs (I was going to ask about it here, if anyone used it w/their malt)..but I keep reading that it's good for flea prevention -because of the garlic. It's good for other things too..but the flea thing is one benefit, evidently.

It seems like these pills are regularly given to dogs but I don't know if they're okay for Maltese?
The brewers yeast and garlic pills is a good suggestion, thanks! :)
I didn't know what they were called, just "garlic pills" haha.
I think I will give it a try, since the reviews say it stops scratching...

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have read that garlic can be harmful to dogs and yeast can be an allergen thereby making the "itchies" worse. I have mine on comfortis and spray them with my own concoction of essential oils (cedar, eucalyptus, lavender, spearmint) before our walks and then check them thoroughly after their walks and that has helped. Now that it is cooler, thankfully the fleas are dormant.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
I hadn't responded to this post earlier because I had not heard of the product you asked about. But my 3 went all spring, summer and fall with no flea or tick prevention and we had no trouble. The area I live in is notorious for fleas and ticks. They were on the Grandma Lucy's Artisan food during those months which has garlic in it. And then I was bathing them in PurePaws weekly and spraying them daily when combing with PurePaws Ultra Shine Conditioning Spray. The essential oils in PurePaws are known to be natural deterrents for fleas & ticks.

Garlic in small doses is actually good for dogs. I don't know much about brewers yeast for dogs but I do know dogs can get candida just like humans. And often dogs who have trouble with ear infections, is often due to a high yeast count in their system.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I haven't heard of this product and I tried all the topicals on Delilah to no avail. The only thing that has been working for her is the confortis pill. I give her half of the one for dogs up to 10 lbs and it has been working great. No fleas what so ever on her. Right now though I am not giving it to her and it's been almost 8 weeks since her last 1/2 a dose, still no fleas. I plan on putting her back on it prolly in march or april, as long as the fleas stay away until then.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the suggestions, and sorry I didn't see them until now!

I haven't seen any fleas on him during baths or combing sessions, but he's been scratching more than usual, and plus I haven't given him Frontline for a while so I'm guessing those little suckers are hiding in his fur.

I went ahead and bought the Brewers Yeast and Garlic Pills, and just gave him one today. I will keep an eye on him to see if anything changes(less or more scratching, ear etc). Thanks again for all the wonderful information :D

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey Sarah, Max is allergic to brewers yeast so I use revolution. Are u sure its fleas did you see a flea?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I hadn't responded to this post earlier because I had not heard of the product you asked about. But my 3 went all spring, summer and fall with no flea or tick prevention and we had no trouble. The area I live in is notorious for fleas and ticks. They were on the Grandma Lucy's Artisan food during those months which has garlic in it. And then I was bathing them in PurePaws weekly and spraying them daily when combing with PurePaws Ultra Shine Conditioning Spray. The essential oils in PurePaws are known to be natural deterrents for fleas & ticks.

Garlic in small doses is actually good for dogs. I don't know much about brewers yeast for dogs but I do know dogs can get candida just like humans. And often dogs who have trouble with ear infections, is often due to a high yeast count in their system.
I have stopped giving Aolani any flea prevention too at the advise of our new vet and he has been fine though I will porbably give him something for the monthf of July through October next year just in case. I did notice the garlic in the Grandma Lucy's and am hoping that will help tooand maybe we won't need to use anything next year - we'll see.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Sarah, Max is allergic to brewers yeast so I use revolution. Are u sure its fleas did you see a flea?
I didn't see any fleas this time, but in the previous times that he suddenly scratched more than normal I always end up catching a flea on him(even when he was on Frontline??).

How could you tell that Max was allergic to brewers yeast? I gave Yeager a tablet yesterday but didn't notice anything different.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have stopped giving Aolani any flea prevention too at the advise of our new vet and he has been fine though I will porbably give him something for the monthf of July through October next year just in case. I did notice the garlic in the Grandma Lucy's and am hoping that will help tooand maybe we won't need to use anything next year - we'll see.
If I may ask, what did the vet say about flea prevention? o_O? I stopped giving Yeager Frontline because it always causes a patch of wet fur on his shoulders where I apply it and it doesn't go away for a long time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts