Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone said it before and I didn't write it down... I can wait another week or just get something for her now, and I've found SO many fleas on her the last few days I don't want to make her wait!!!
HELP!

WHat do you all recommend for long term?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
You can use Frontline every two weeks. Using it a little early won't hurt. Get a capstar tablet from your vet. This will kill all of the fleas on her now. Wait an hour and bathe her. Then put her up while you treat your house, wash all bedding in hot water, vacuum, probably use a flea spray based on your description. If she goes outside get your yard sprayed. Treating the environment is one of the most important steps. A dog in a flea infested place will get fleas on them no matter what you use.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not infested by any means, but there ARE some. We've been looking into getting some DE earth at the feed store. I should call her tomorrow and check up on that. It's a permanent solution to the problem because it physically damages their bodies and the eggs. We also have ticks :/ Luckily the frontline works really good for that and I havent seen one in months. I've never had an issue like this while on frontline before.

ANyway, yes, that's what it was, capstar, thanks!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, is it because we wash them every week that we can use it more often? Or is that for any dog? I've never heard that before.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't mean to disagree with anyone, but I'm not sure about using frontline more than recommended, and that is once a month. My vet said that was the reason some dogs were dying... Another reason was that people were using the wrong strength on their animals. I think I'd just do the Capstar, DE,( food grade)Vacume well in three days and throw away the vacum bag.. And washing your animals bedding at least once a week..Preferably twice.. I live in Florida, and the state pet is the flea, but I follow thiese guidelines and I rarely see a flea...I will say though that I don't have carpet..I put in tile and it's the best thing I ever did for my dogs, and my sanity!!!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't mean to disagree with anyone, but I'm not sure about using frontline more than recommended, and that is once a month. My vet said that was the reason some dogs were dying... Another reason was that people were using the wrong strength on their animals. I think I'd just do the Capstar, DE,( food grade)Vacume well in three days and throw away the vacum bag.. And washing your animals bedding at least once a week..Preferably twice.. I live in Florida, and the state pet is the flea, but I follow thiese guidelines and I rarely see a flea...I will say though that I don't have carpet..I put in tile and it's the best thing I ever did for my dogs, and my sanity!!!!!
there's only two rooms with carpet in the whole house!! The rest is tile ;) I'm more concerned about the yard than INSIDE the house. I kill every flea I see and I DO wash everything well. But my yard is where they keep getting them. My large dogs ("the boys" lol) like to stay outside as much as possible (by their choice) and I think that's why our yard has them. But all 5 of my dogs are on frontline plus, and Vi is the only one I've found fleas on.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am sure there is something that can be used on the lawn that is organic that will eleminate fleas and ticks.. I know in Idaho where we came from I used organics as a spider barrier.. You might try calling Flea Busters.. I'm pretty sure they use safe products..Or look under organic lawn care.. They might have the information you want.. It's worth a try anyway...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure there is something that can be used on the lawn that is organic that will eleminate fleas and ticks.. I know in Idaho where we came from I used organics as a spider barrier.. You might try calling Flea Busters.. I'm pretty sure they use safe products..Or look under organic lawn care.. They might have the information you want.. It's worth a try anyway...
You can use DE on your lawn too! AND on the pets supposedly, but it's unsafe to inhale, so that's not an option for me. (and I'm talking about the DE that is NOT from the pool store that's treated with chemicals. Strictly food grade)

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you are seeing fleas on your dog, they are in your house.
I use to bathe my dogs in dish soap weekly. It would strip the Frontline away. I had 2 veterinary dermatologists tell me I could use that or Advantage every 2 weeks. I played around and every 3 weeks worked for us. When I switched to Comfortis we didn't have this issue any more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a question about the Frontline Plus. Since it's for small dogs up to 22 lbs and Kirby is 5.5 mons old and 7 lbs... do I have to put the entire vial of Frontline on him?

I have never used Frontline on any of my dogs before and my dogs have never had any problems. My entire backyard is decking, concrete and rocked, nothing grows back there and he only goes out to go potty.

When I got Kirby I had a pen built right outside the sliding glass doors on the deck and I put indoor outdoor carpet on it......so he doesn't even go on dirt ever. I do plan on walking him once he has all his shots that's why I got it. I just hate using chemicals if I don't need to.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Well said! :thumbsup:

I feel your pain. I went through this a few years ago when Frontline just stopped working. In two short weeks of seeing a few fleas I had an infestation. I was finding brand new hatchlings on Lady (which are as small as a grain of coarse pepper) even after baths, washing bedding, Capstar, etc. It was a losing battle because as fast as I was killing the adult fleas, new ones were hatching in my carpet.

I would call Fleabusters as the other have suggested. It can be dangerous to start trying to treat your house yourself. It can also get very expensive. It is a waste of money to try to do it yourself once you have an infestation.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well, I STILL haven't seen any fleas in the house, but it makes sense that if they're on the dog they're in the house. I guess I just never really thought it through...
SO... talked to hubby and we're gonna wage war against them. We've ordered a bag of Diatomaceous earth (DE...food grade of course) and it'll take at least 7 days to get it she said. But in the mean time, We went to the vets this morning and got some comfortis. We didn't get the capstar because I didn't have enough to get both, but I gave her a bath and will continue to pick them off as I see them until I can get DE THEN I will get the capstar for all of them at once and be done with all this.
Stupid fleas.
She recommended that I use the comfortis from now on since I bath her every week, and also for my doxie who has sensitive skin. So hopefully this will be the solution to both problems!
I wish I had an unlimited supply from the money tree so I can do all this right NOW. It's frustrating. I know I must sound like a horrible fur mommy, but I truly am doing what I can with what I have. Please don't think bad of me.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Adams carpet powder is excellent and inexpensive. It's $8.99 at Petsmart. It's the only one that works IMO.

Farnam Adams Flea & Tick Carpet Powder w/Linalool & Nylar - Sale - Dog - PetSmart

That's how I cleared up my infestation a few years ago. I've used it in the past, too. Next step was getting the house bombed, but thank heavens this worked.

Since you only have two carpeted rooms, can you keep Vi and your other pets off the carpets for awhile? I sprinkle it all over the carpet, then work it in with a broom, then let it sit overnight before vaccuming it. It will kill the flea eggs and larvae in your carpet.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I knew that about DE but I wouldn't put it on vi because it says it can be harmful if inhaled. And since she's so wiggely I don't want to chance it.

And yeah, I've been keeping her off the carpet already since JMM's comment about if there's fleas on her they're in the house...
I hate that word 'infested'. It sounds so horrible. But if it walks like a duck...
Thank goodness my kids aren't getting bit and it doesn't seem to be effecting anyone else in the house (I have cats too...everyone is already treated with FL)

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
It is not so much the live fleas in the house that you need to worry about...it is the millions of eggs that are everywhere and you can't see the. They will hatch if not treated and the cycle will go on and on. No fun!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts