Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have our Snoopy coming home in August and noticed flea bites on my ankles. My office is right over our neighbors living room. They have a dog and I know it has fleas as the girl has bites all over her. So I did a thorough vacuum of our living room, my daughters room and working my way back to my office. Mind you, my wife and daughter have not been bitten and I am the only one.

Do you think fleas could be coming up from the living room downstairs? Also I have a car garage next to there garage which is next to the living room where I keep my inventory for my business. I walk up and down the stairs all day long. Can it be coming for my garage or walkway/stairs possible?

What can I spray in my office that might kill them off? I do not plan on having our snoopy or daughter in my office, that is off limits. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I need to nip this in the bud before August 16th.

P.S. If it is possible I am picking them up from walkway or stairs, what can I spray along the outside?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
I'm so sorry for you.
Yes...I do think they can come from someone living next door, if it's in the same building. The reason I say that is because when my daughter signed a lease for her apartment, she had to agree that if when she moves, or anytime while she is renting, that fleas or bedbugs were found in her unit, she would have to pay to exterminate her unit and the 12 other units in that building because they can travel from place to place.

If I were you...I would steam and vacuum every inch of your place, including windowsill, window frames, base boards, cracks between hardwood floors, not leaving an inch to spare and then I would spray Wondercide evolve Home and garden, again every inch, nothing spared.
Vacuum every day to remove eggs that you missed and repeat the above every 7 days for 3 weeks, until you know that if any eggs hatched...you got them!

The wondercide will kill all stages and is organic.
I would also wash all clothes, sheets, steam clean drapery.

It's ALOT IF WORK but you have to do this or they will multiply.
Four years ago, my dog came home from the groomers infested. She had a few dogs in her shop for flea baths and apparently, those live fleas infested my girl and 2 others.
I ended up hiring an exterminator, and even that was a lot of work to prepare for them, and a lot of money...I think I paid $1000.00 but well worth the $$$ for the peace of mind.
Also...if your neighbor doesn't do the same on their unit, they will reinvest your home, so you have to let them know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Believe me, they will not do a thing and will live with the fleas. This is a two house unit sort of. They have a very tiny house below my office again being the living room. Our dinning and living room are over two garages. So you can say that 60% of the top level is under garages. Our kitchen and washing machines are over there kitchen which again runs along the wall of our office. Good thing that our dinning and living room is not directly above the unit. But I understand they can spread. I have already begun a thorough clean/vacuum and will begin steam and vacuum in the next day, will have to purchase steam machine.

Lastly my office, dining and living room are all hardwood and tile. The hallway to the three bedrooms are carpet and so are the bedrooms.

Thank you for the advise, I'm calling it a day for now.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Can you talk to them at all? Since you are getting a purebred puppy from a great breeder, could you offer your neighbors a packet of Frontline for their dog?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi, they are not suppose to have a dog. When we moved in 5 years ago, my special needs daughter had to give her dog away. I was not aware of our rights back than. So you can say the owner sort of gave them an ultimatum. The dog or you, well they found a loop hole. The dog comes on weekends and sometimes stays for 2-4 days, just depends.

Now that has me thinking that when the dog is here, that is when I am being bitten in my office (I'm going to monitor this theory).

Oh, we are not talking terms as the little dog has bit me about 4 times until I told them to put it on a lease. They are cool people and I never told the owner about the bites, not big but still. Anyways, day 3 of cleaning, vacuuming and preparing.

P.S. We are now aware of rights for special needs and service dogs. The DR signed off as her two sisters have moved away and she is by herself. Owner was very cool after showing him the letter and being made aware that two sisters no longer live with us.

Can you talk to them at all? Since you are getting a purebred puppy from a great breeder, could you offer your neighbors a packet of Frontline for their dog?

·
Premium Member
5,221 Posts
Hi, they are not suppose to have a dog. When we moved in 5 years ago, my special needs daughter had to give her dog away. I was not aware of our rights back than. So you can say the owner sort of gave them an ultimatum. The dog or you, well they found a loop hole. The dog comes on weekends and sometimes stays for 2-4 days, just depends.

Now that has me thinking that when the dog is here, that is when I am being bitten in my office (I'm going to monitor this theory).

Oh, we are not talking terms as the little dog has bit me about 4 times until I told them to put it on a lease. They are cool people and I never told the owner about the bites, not big but still. Anyways, day 3 of cleaning, vacuuming and preparing.

I'm sorry but your much too nice! If it were me and they weren't supposed to have a dog on the property, especially one who has infested your home wth fleas...I would be on that phone with the landlord, immediately! That's bull%^*t
Get them out of there before they infest your puppy that will be coming and your daughter!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Landlord is aware, he lives next door. That is why I said they found sort of a loop hole. They tell the owner he does not live with them and only comes to visit. Owner has told me he is having a hard time with the tenant. At this time I do see the dog on weekends. But I will be monitoring that much closer as I have heard the dog during the week on a few occasions.

But here is where the owner messed up. There is a front house and again, we had to give our dog away when we moved in. When the front tenant moved out and new tenant came in. The tenant gave a $300 deposit that I could have also given when I moved in. So the tenant below me saw that as, well if they can have one we will too. Owner said no, the dog goes or you go. They said, we will get rid of dog and now comes as a visitor

I'm sorry but your much too nice! If it were me and they weren't supposed to have a dog on the property, especially one who has infested your home wth fleas...I would be on that phone with the landlord, immediately! That's bull%^*t
Get them out of there before they infest your puppy that will be coming and your daughter!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
This isn't prison/jail. Dogs can't have "visitations" whenever the owners want. If dogs aren't allowed, then they aren't allowed period.

It sounds as if the owner is a push-over and is easily bullied or swayed by other tenants. If he/she isn't willing to enforce the rules or at least correct the situation, then your rights as a tenant are being infringed.

You paid to live in a safe environment. If your health and safety is being compromised, it is the owner's responsibility to fix the issues or reimburse you. Is your home covered through HOA?

If no one (dog owner, home/apartment owner) is willing to do anything, then you should leave. There are numerous condos/apartments that are dog friendly and aren't too expensive.
Trust me, living with fleas is no small matter. It will affect your sleep patterns and your overall quality of life. The longer you let this go on, the more difficult it will be for things to get corrected.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
This isn't prison/jail. Dogs can't have "visitations" whenever the owners want. If dogs aren't allowed, then they aren't allowed period.

I agree 100%

It sounds as if the owner is a push-over and is easily bullied or swayed by other tenants. If he/she isn't willing to enforce the rules or at least correct the situation, then your rights as a tenant are being infringed.

Answer: The owners mistake was allowing the front house to have a dog when all of us were told we could not have pets. Again, I did cross my mind, well if they can have a dog, so can I. But I did not push the issue but it appears the neighbor downstairs felt otherwise. Once push came to shove, the owners wife told him to just let it go since the neighbor assure him the dog only came on weekends.

You paid to live in a safe environment. If your health and safety is being compromised, it is the owner's responsibility to fix the issues or reimburse you. Is your home covered through HOA?

Answer: No

If no one (dog owner, home/apartment owner) is willing to do anything, then you should leave. There are numerous condos/apartments that are dog friendly and aren't too expensive.
Trust me, living with fleas is no small matter. It will affect your sleep patterns and your overall quality of life. The longer you let this go on, the more difficult it will be for things to get corrected.

Answer: Well not sure if you have heard, but here in Boyle Heights, it is the hottest real estate market at this time. What once was $1,500 for a 3 bedroom rental (I currently pay $1,500) is now going for $$2,800-$3,400. Yea, exactly. I am hanging on to the $1,500 as we are getting ready to buy in the next year so do not want to make any moves at this time.

Thank you for your concern but that way our top house is designed and as stated in my second post, the house is about 60-70% over garage as we do have a 3 bedroom and one office. Our downstairs neighbor has a one bedroom under my office. So it is sort of isolated to my office only and have not been bitten again since I posted this thread. I am monitoring the situation and seeing if any more bites happen in my office. I actually been in sandals and no socks since my first post to see if fleas are attracted to my ankles and so far, I have not gotten bitten. I will contine to vacuum and mop. No rug in my office only tile.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ah, I see now. It makes sense to hold on as long as you can in that real estate market.

Well, maybe you can grease the wheels by gifting your landlord the occasional baked pie/cookies?

Even if you do vacuum and get rid of the fleas, that's only temporary.
Pet owners that allow their pets to be constantly infested with parasites have no regard for their wellbeing and therefore will continuously have fleas. They'll think of it as a normal part of their lives.

Too bad you can't refurnish your floors to hardwood. It'll be much harder for fleas to hide and lay their eggs.

Good luck. If it were me, I'd start wearing flea collars on my legs, arms, and neck...But I'm a bit crazy :chili:

·
Premium Member
13,413 Posts
If you are vacuuming you need to throw out the vacuum bag after you use it. I know its a lot of bags. I was in 2 apts with fleas. I also bagged towels, sheets, cushions etc after I washed them, that I was not using until I was sure the fleas were gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts