Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok yesterday I noticed some bug in Chelsey's hair then saw more an down to the laundry room for a bath. Called my husband and told him to get two flea shampoos and collars.
After chelsey’s fist bath she got another one with he flee shampoo' I cut her hair down real low so I can make sure no more were left. I disinfected everything. Then it was Chester’s turn. While I was bathing them my husband was bleaching out all there stuff crates, old bed in the garbage. Then we scrubbed the house vacuumed and bleached the floors.. What else do I need to do? Should I still take them to the vet for treatment?
Three dogs and Chelsey was the first to have flees. I can’t think of how she got them unless they are in our tiny yard. We only take her around the block. Mind you i did take her loblaws last week garden center. Maybe that's it. Does the heartworm medication take care of flea’s this as well

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got of the phone with the Vet. They both have an appointment on saturday.
I have to bring the shampoo we used and they will give them Revolution and heartworm treatment.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We have fleas real bad in our area. The vet has switched Puddles over to Frontline, once a month. Said if this does not work we may need to move it up to every 3 weeks. I always wait 3 days after bath and don't do another bath for 3 days after treatment.

Good luck, been there, know what your dealing with.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Flea collars don't really work. I don't think today that flea shampoos are necessary either. They are pretty harsh.

I recommend:
1. A Capstar to kill all the fleas on them now
2. A good bath
3. Apply Frontline or Advantage (or Revolution)
4. Treat the environment and continue to treat it for a while (vacuum more frequently, wash their bedding more frequently, etc.).

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 8 2005, 09:55 PM
Flea collars don't really work. I don't think today that flea shampoos are necessary either. They are pretty harsh.

I recommend:
1. A Capstar to kill all the fleas on them now
2. A good bath
3. Apply Frontline or Advantage (or Revolution)
4. Treat the environment and continue to treat it for a while (vacuum more frequently, wash their bedding more frequently, etc.).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70744
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, when i called the vet they told me he coller might not work. Gee why do they sell his stuff if it is not effective..

Thanks for the link lucy.
I hate those things... I'm really crepted out. I can't stand bugs. Ever here of that a gardener that hates bugs. LOL. I heard of those flea booms do you think we need it. I want to make sure there are gone. Poor chelsey i'm not even sure how long she had it. I saw one bug on monday, but i was not sure what it was. Gosh bugs why!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by scrappy@Jun 8 2005, 09:17 PM
I am just coming out of summer here in Au and I never had one flea on Scrappy and all I used was Downey.       
I bathe him every Sat and rinsed him with diluted Downey Fabric Softener. 
Scrappy had a very, very bad reaction to topical treatments.  This solved the flea problem for us.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=70753
[/QUOTE]

I have read this somewhere else....
How diluted?
How much fabric softener?
What flavor Downy? Regular April Fresh, or any of them?
Will rubbing them with Downy dryer sheets work?

I SURE wouldn't mind if Brink smelled like Downy...I like that smell...I use it, so this would work great for us..it is already on hand!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You can treat your outdoor area with Beneficial Nematodes. These microscopic bugs penetrate the larvae of fleas, grubworms and other larvae and keep them from hatching. This prevents infestation as the adults die their natural death there are no more hatching to take their place.

BN's are non-toxic to animals and the environment, so there's a real plus, too!

We had fleas early this spring and I just freak when I see one on my Pico! Even after two applications of BN's (we have a large corner lot with lots of dogs walking by and many outdoor cats) it took a while to get the population eradicated.

Yesterday, Harry (a sweet Bedlington Terrier) and his owner walked by and asked me if I was having problems with fleas and I told him I hadn't seen one on Pico since April and hadn't even put the Advantage on him in almost 2 months. He said Harry was having such a problem that even his bed was full of fleas! The groomer said they were putting Frontline on every month, too.

To keep the problem down in the house, frequently vacuum rugs, carpets, upholstery where Chelsey hangs out. This will pick up larvae and live fleas. I never found flea powders effective in bedding.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well was made it back from the VET yeterday... they did the heartworm test and treatment as well as put revolution on them. We took home a box for the year.
The Vet said that we should put the collers in our vacum cleaner as they are harmfull to dogs and cats but will kell any living flea eggs. My gosh. She said the shampoo was good.
She also said our house should be fine so long as we do regular vacuming.
p.,s chelsey went nut in the vets office. Everytime she see a big dog she freeks out, I have to cover her eyes, she get all squarmy and stuff and whiney.
Chester was so good yesterday, like a little angel. Strange. it's like they switched charaters on us. For a treat after the vet we took them to the beach. We found a nice beach... we never even new we had one were you can sit on the sand not rocks.
they loved it. children were just stoping to pet chester and chelsey.

I did some resarch on the net about those Beneficial Nematodes , they sound amazing...
I think I saw some in our garden center. Well you know I hate bugs and we do have bugs in our garden. Some you need and lot we don't. I'm going got get that stuff and get rid of those fleas for good. They should call it flea, be gone. Too bad they can't get bees, we have a lot of those.

p.s that downy sound wonderfull. Since you are a downy fan, you can try putting some in a spray bottle with water and use it to release wrinkels in your cloths so you don't have to iron. Rember that wrinkel stuff they sold in the stores, well they no longer sell it. who knows why.
I use d to have bottles of that stuff. It's really good for taveling and for people that hate irons,"ME" I did not iron for two years.

Oh some more tips. Lavender oil , and basel leaves will also help with mositos and keep them away. Just rub it all over your skin. I make lavender balm , if you get stun by a masito you just rub some on and the iching stops imediatley. It works great . The best mosito repelent even better then sticky off is that Skin so soft from Avon
. It last all day smell good and keeps your skin soft.

Well that the tips for the day. Thanks for all your help. I'm really looking forward to having a pest free garden... yippy.
no fleas

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
We tried the Hartz flea and tick drops as a preventative (Rex scratches and we havent seen any fleas) and it was a greasy mess. The next day I had to give him a bath, straight down his back he had a grease stripe where I put the stuff. He goes to the vet on Tuesday, they recommend Advantage. Has anyone had any luck with Advantage? Does it leave the hair oily? Downy sounds interesting! Do you use that in place of conditioner?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 12 2005, 11:02 AM
We tried the Hartz flea and tick drops as a preventative (Rex scratches and we havent seen any fleas) and it was a greasy mess.  The next day I had to give him a bath, straight down his back he had a grease stripe where I put the stuff.  He goes to the vet on Tuesday, they recommend Advantage.  Has anyone had any luck with Advantage?  Does it leave the hair oily?  Downy sounds interesting!  Do you use that in place of conditioner?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71812
[/QUOTE]

this was the coller we used Hartz flea . The vet said it was not safe., by the time we got to the vet from Monday to saturday. The fleas on chelsey were all gone. Mind you the vet said the coller could harm your dog and kill your cat. I would take it off right now. and thow it in the vacum . Our vet said so long as people buy them they will sell them.
try the downy as an alteritive until you get to the vet.
in addition our vet said after putting revolution on a black dog you may see a litter white resedue. We have not noticed anything on chester or chelsey... no left over anything and they are fine. I would ask for revolution as it kills all other things like the heartwork, fea's and other stuff i can't remember.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 12 2005, 10:02 AM
We tried the Hartz flea and tick drops as a preventative (Rex scratches and we havent seen any fleas) and it was a greasy mess.  The next day I had to give him a bath, straight down his back he had a grease stripe where I put the stuff.  He goes to the vet on Tuesday, they recommend Advantage.  Has anyone had any luck with Advantage?  Does it leave the hair oily?  Downy sounds interesting!  Do you use that in place of conditioner?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71812
[/QUOTE]

I use Advantage, although most on here use Frontline...my fleas were immune to Frontline
. The Advantage works great and leaves a little oily spot for a day or so, and then it disappears. We have had great luck so far with it.

I never knew the dangers of store bought flea/tick collars and had always used them until I read of the dangers on here....I do know that store bought flea drop stuff didn't work...Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts