Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Fleas

2K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Brinkley & Neyland's Mom 
#1 ·
My friend noticed last night that Bella has fleas. She just went to the groomer's on Saturday and they did not mention that she had any and I had never seen one on Bella. I think she probably got them there.

Anyway, I called the vet and we are starting her on Frontline Plus. Anyone that uses this product, how good is it and how fast does it work? Oh and how much does it cost? I just paid $72 for 6 months supply and I almost fainted.

See less See more
#2 ·
I've used it on Lexi since May. That is a GREAT price. The vet that sold it to me charged $120 for a 7 month supply. It should have been around what you are paying. It is a great product. You need to put it only 3-5 days after a bath and then wait another 3-5 days before you bath again. I usually put it on right befor bedtime. Bella might look a littl oily the next day but that is normal. By the second day it should be fine.

#5 ·
Just give her another bath but use flea shampoo this time instead of regular shampoo. It will be easier to see the fleas when she's wet so if some don't die when you give her a flea bath then you can just pick them out. Then vacuum your floors, couch and everything else, wash her bedding and yours (this is to get rid of flea eggs) and then you should be set until you can use the frontline.

#6 ·
Originally posted by FannyMay@Jan 14 2005, 03:11 PM
Just give her another bath but use flea shampoo this time instead of regular shampoo.  It will be easier to see the fleas when she's wet so if some don't die when you give her a flea bath then you can just pick them out.  Then vacuum your floors, couch and everything else, wash her bedding and yours (this is to get rid of flea eggs) and then you should be set until you can use the frontline.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29768
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Don't forget to empty the vacuum clean bag or bin thing. I would empty it to a bag that you can close and then put it into an outside garbage can. That way the fleas are out of the house.

If you give her a bath tonight you should be able to use frontline plus on Monday night.

#7 ·
I suggest to go back to the vet and get a "Capstar" pill. It kills the fleas like within an hour of her taking the pill. This might help until you can put the frontline on her. It worked like a charm for Brinkley.
One pill is just a dollar or two. Or at least it was at my vet.

#8 ·
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 14 2005, 03:22 PM
I suggest to go back to the vet and get a "Capstar" pill. It kills the fleas like within an hour of her taking the pill. This might help until you can put the frontline on her. It worked like a charm for Brinkley.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29772
[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that. But I've been lucky and never had to deal with fleas.

Found this on their website.

The fleas that you see on your pet are in the adult stage. What you don't see are the thousands of eggs a single adult flea can produce.
An adult female flea can lay up to 2,000 eggs in her lifetime. With CAPSTAR® (nitenpyram), almost all your dog's adult fleas will be gone within four hours.[/B]

#9 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jan 14 2005, 04:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Jan 14 2005, 03:22 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29772
Never heard of that. But I've been lucky and never had to deal with fleas.

Found this on their website.

The fleas that you see on your pet are in the adult stage. What you don't see are the thousands of eggs a single adult flea can produce.
An adult female flea can lay up to 2,000 eggs in her lifetime. With CAPSTAR® (nitenpyram), almost all your dog's adult fleas will be gone within four hours.[/B]
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29773
[/B][/QUOTE]
Boy that sounds like a good product to keep on hand, just in case.

#11 ·
I was going to suggest the Capstar also, I know our Vet uses it on any animal that comes in their clinic with fleas..as they are a "flea free zone" it would be worth it since you can't use the other yet. We use Revolution on ours and you just have to wait 24 hours to bathe...it is not oily at all. So far it has worked great....hope you get rid of the little buggers. yuck....

#14 ·
Originally posted by mylittlebella@Jan 14 2005, 03:27 PM
My friend noticed last night that Bella has fleas.  She just went to the groomer's on Saturday and they did not mention that she had any and I had never seen one on Bella.  I think she probably got them there.

Anyway, I called the vet and we are starting her on Frontline Plus.  Anyone that uses this product, how good is it and how fast does it work?  Oh and how much does it cost?  I just paid $72 for 6 months supply and I almost fainted.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29762
[/QUOTE]

My daughter brought home a cat who had fleas, mites, everything, it cost me a small fortune. Frontline works very fast and they do get oily for a day but it goes away. You can buy it cheaper at petmeds.com I buy all my pets meds there I save big time!

#15 ·
I don't know about Capstar. I have used Sentinel and Advantage. The one time Alex had a lot of fleas was also after a grooming. My husband even today says he got them at the groomer. We had a lhasa for almost 12 years and he never was infested by fleas. And Alex never was until that grooming. When we only see one flea on the dog we kill it between our nails and the yard is sprayed right away. You can see the fleas very well when giving a bath and wet they cannot jump. Very easy to kill. That's ok if there are only a few. But when they are full of fleas you need to treat the dog. Even with all the fleas Alex had at that one time, I never had to use a product in the house. But we always treat the outside. Even if we find only one flea.

#16 ·
Originally posted by sherylmint+Jan 14 2005, 09:04 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mylittlebella
@Jan 14 2005, 03:27 PM
My friend noticed last night that Bella has fleas.  She just went to the groomer's on Saturday and they did not mention that she had any and I had never seen one on Bella.  I think she probably got them there.

Anyway, I called the vet and we are starting her on Frontline Plus.  Anyone that uses this product, how good is it and how fast does it work?  Oh and how much does it cost?  I just paid $72 for 6 months supply and I almost fainted.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29762
My daughter brought home a cat who had fleas, mites, everything, it cost me a small fortune. Frontline works very fast and they do get oily for a day but it goes away. You can buy it cheaper at petmeds.com I buy all my pets meds there I save big time!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29804
[/B][/QUOTE]
I checked the price petmeds have the 3 pack for $38.99

#17 ·
I was thinking about it today after I took my pup to the park...should I use frontline even if she doesn't have fleas? Now that the weather is nice (I'm in Texas....sorry for you guys still in the snow) I want to take her outside more and to the park and farmer's market. But I don't want to deal with the flea problem. Will it hurt her to use it if there are no fleas yet?

Nicolle

#19 ·
I have Lacey on Frontline Plus. Here in Ohio the fleas are dead...too cold. In the warm months I have Lacey on it but once it gets cold I stop. I work for a local health department so I also find out when the mosquitos can no longer survive because of the temp. I figure as long as I have Lacey on the flea prevention she is good but once she doesn't need it I take her off...why keep giving her something she doesn't need. Once April comes around I will start her on it again. Now if she was to pick up fleas I would give it to her right away. Once those little buggers get in your carpet and house watch out. Right now my son's cat has fleas. He can't afford to take it to the vet to get the medication so guess who gets to? What are mom's for?

#20 ·
We have mega fleas here in North Carolina! I swear by Frontline spray, especially if you are watching your budget. A small bottle lasts for years (until the expiration date) and this is for Lady and my 2 cats. The bottle is only $22 or something if you order it . (I don't buy things like that from my vet - too expensive!) I think the $$ is in the individual pipettes.

I spray some on a cosmetic puff and just wipe it all over. It works just as well as the individual doses (3 months).

It used to be hard to find, but many catalogues carry it now. I get mine from Revival.

http://revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=32-205

#21 ·
I just buy whatever pack size will give me enough ml's to dose however many dogs I happen to have in the house. There is actually a dose/lb and I just got that from the vet and draw it up in a syringe. If I have two big dogs and my little dogs, I just split the biggest pack according to weight dosage. If it is just the two little dogs, I eyeball and split an up to 22 lb between them.

#22 ·
Jackie,
How safe is the flea pill for Maltese? Any problems with giving it to small dogs? Does it take care of ticks and heartworm as well as fleas? THe reason I am asking is one of my dogs skin flakes off where he has had the liquid applied. This has happenend for 3 months now, he doesn't have dry skin anywhere else, and it occurs about 3-4 days after I put the liquid on him. I apply it in small drops all along his back, from shoulders to rump to try and spread it out, but the skin still flakes off--big flakes, as if he were sunburned. He is going to the vet soon for a dental, but they just tell me everything is as safe for a Maltese as it is for a bigger dog.
Thanks,
Quincymom

#24 ·
Originally posted by Quincymom@Jan 18 2005, 10:43 AM
Jackie,
How safe is the flea pill for Maltese? Any problems with giving it to small dogs? Does it take care of ticks and heartworm as well as fleas? THe reason I am asking is one of my dogs skin flakes off where he has had the liquid applied. This has happenend for 3 months now, he doesn't have dry skin anywhere else, and it occurs about 3-4 days after I put the liquid on him. I apply it in small drops all along his back, from shoulders to rump to try and spread it out, but the skin still flakes off--big flakes, as if he were sunburned. He is going to the vet soon for a dental, but they just tell me everything is as safe for a Maltese as it is for a bigger dog.
Thanks,
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30165
[/QUOTE]

The Capstar people were talking about is quite safe, but it is a one-time thing, not to be used as a regular preventative.

Which liquid are you using? Is it only fleas you are concerned about? If you are using frontline, try Advantage instead just for fleas. I'm not crazy about Advantix, but if you need tick prevention Revolution may be an option. It is more likely to be a cause of reaction than Frontline or Advantage. Frontline and Advantage are quite safe, but a dog can react to anything, even a holistic herb. Usually, a topical reaction is the most common reaction. I've never actually seen a systemic reaction to a topical preventative and just about every dog we see is on Frontline (we have ticks here so don't use just Advantage).

#25 ·
Originally posted by JMM+Jan 18 2005, 11:06 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Quincymom
@Jan 18 2005, 10:43 AM
Jackie,
Thanks,
Quincymom
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30165
The Capstar people were talking about is quite safe, but it is a one-time thing, not to be used as a regular preventative.

Which liquid are you using? Is it only fleas you are concerned about? If you are using frontline, try Advantage instead just for fleas. I'm not crazy about Advantix, but if you need tick prevention Revolution may be an option. It is more likely to be a cause of reaction than Frontline or Advantage. Frontline and Advantage are quite safe, but a dog can react to anything, even a holistic herb. Usually, a topical reaction is the most common reaction. I've never actually seen a systemic reaction to a topical preventative and just about every dog we see is on Frontline (we have ticks here so don't use just Advantage).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30244
[/B][/QUOTE]
Yes, I use Advantage--lots of fleas and ticks here. I guess topical is safer than systemic, I just don't want Quincy's reaction to get worse. But I can deal with a little flaky skin if I know it isn't anything to worry about!
Thanks,
Quincymom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.