Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so upset, I found a flea on Charlie- and she has only been home 36 hrs!
She went to the vet yesterday at 3:00, and hasn't been anywhere else. In fact, she wasn't even on the ground at the vet- except for when they made me weigh her... the vet tech *swore* she had 'just cleaned' the scale.

Charlie was checked at the vet on the 21st, before she came home and I saw the vet's write-up- everything looked great. Even yesterday at the vet they didn't notice anything unusual.

I didn't have any fleas at my apartmet before this because my 2 year old cat has been indoor-only his entire life. I am so upset that this might give him fleas

I called the vet and they gave me the small puppy version of Advantage (they were out of the one my cat would need). I hope that the few fleas on Charlie will die and then not infect my house and cat. Am I hoping for too much? She really only has been here for 36 hrs!

What would you do??? I want both of my animals flea-free a.s.a.p!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
There are a lot of threads about this.

I use Frontline spray. I like this product because it is cheap ($20-35 per bottle), last 1-2 years per bottle, and you customize it to the dogs weight (1-2 pumps per pound. This is a good preventative product.

If you notice any more fleas on Charlie you can get a pill, called Capstar, from your vet that will kill the fleas that are on her now.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Advantage is a good product. She may have picked it up at the vet, at the apartment, or already had 1-2 on her. It isn't hard for them to pick them up. It doesn't sound like you have an infestation, but frequent washing of her bedding and frequent vacuuming will help ensure that.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Do you train her to go outside to pee or on wee wee pads ? If you put her on the ground outside your apartment she can pick up fleas. If not, either she had 1 or 2 already or she picked them up at the vet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go back to your vet and get your cat flea free. It is flea season!!! Instead of hoping and searching your furry friends for little blood sucking creatures... go get them the medicine they need.. especially during summer!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jul 25 2005, 07:40 PM
Do you train her to go outside to pee or on wee wee pads ? If you put her on the ground outside your apartment she can pick up fleas. If not, either she had 1 or 2 already or she picked them up at the vet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84495
[/QUOTE]
Since she isn't fully vaccinated (not until 16 weeks) I am having her go potty on pads, so she hasn't been outside.

I am planning on getting my cat some medicine, but my vet was out of his particular weight. So within the next week he will be on advantage too.

Will that one or two flea cause an infestation in my apartment if both my animals are not food sources? Ideally, I am planning on ordering the frontline spray (like Lexi's Mom suggested) since it can be used on both dogs and cats.

For now Charlie is on the med, and I went around vacumming like CRAZY. I hope I got any eggs thaty were dropped

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
You are on the right track. I hope those fleas get what they deserve and go away perminetly. Hope charle and your cat are ok.

don't for get to wash thier bedding and bleach your floors.

·
Registered
58 Posts
watch out for your household cleaners as they may make your puppy sick. don't take your puppy out and you really should have your cat up to date! your puppy could get other diseases from your cat if you don't keep up! your puppy could also suffer from allergies that your cat could come in from outside with. the puppy stages are so important. i would consider separating the two until your dog is complete on his puppy boosters or at least to his rabies.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by babybinks22@Jul 25 2005, 08:51 PM
watch out for your household cleaners as they may make your puppy sick.  don't take your puppy out and you really should have your cat up to date!  your puppy could get other diseases from your cat if you don't keep up!  your puppy could also suffer from allergies that your cat could come in from outside with.  the puppy stages are so important. i would consider separating the two until your dog is complete on his puppy boosters or at least to his rabies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84510
[/QUOTE]
I suppose it helps to read posts throughly before replying... As I've said he is an indoor ONLY cat, and has been his entire life (although he is microchipped just in case of escape!) He is fully up-to-date with his vaccinations, and I even take him to have his teeth cleaned annually! He is current on boosters *including* rabies, so there is no reason to separate the two once he is treated for the prevention of fleas. This is his house first and foremost, and he won't be limited to any part of it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by CoriMalte@Jul 25 2005, 11:34 PM
For now Charlie is on the med, and I went around vacumming like CRAZY.  I hope I got any eggs thaty were dropped 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84504
[/QUOTE]
Don't forget to empty the bag or canaster when you are done. I've heard you can put a flea collar in the bag to kill the fleas as you suck them up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jul 26 2005, 05:14 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CoriMalte
@Jul 25 2005, 11:34 PM
For now Charlie is on the med, and I went around vacumming like CRAZY.  I hope I got any eggs thaty were dropped 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84504
Don't forget to empty the bag or canaster when you are done. I've heard you can put a flea collar in the bag to kill the fleas as you suck them up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84545
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks! Good tip!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
What many won't tell you is that if you are using Advantage, the dog and cat formula is the same...so whatever you used on your pup should be fine for your cat. I get the 55+ dog tubes and split it four ways between Brinkley and my three cats.

I am a supporter of the Capstar pills to help kill the fleas that are on her immedietely! That stuff works. Then a good flea bath and a dose of Advantage/Frontline in addition to treating the house should nip it if it just started.

I have also been rinsing Brink in liquid Downy. Since I have been doing that, he has had NO fleas on him at ALL! Maybe coincidence...but looks like it works to me!
And he smells like a clean fluffy towel!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by saltymalty@Jul 26 2005, 11:15 AM
Does it get any better than a clean and fluffy dog smelling of Downey?  Now I have a scent to go with Brink's photo!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84633
[/QUOTE]

LOL...Downy and pee-pee paws!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jul 26 2005, 09:47 AM
What many won't tell you is that if you are using Advantage, the dog and cat formula is the same...so whatever you used on your pup should be fine for your cat. I get the 55+ dog tubes and split it four ways between Brinkley and my three cats.

I am a supporter of the Capstar pills to help kill the fleas that are on her immedietely! That stuff works. Then a good flea bath and a dose of Advantage/Frontline in addition to treating the house should nip it if it just started.

I have also been rinsing Brink in liquid Downy.  Since I have been doing that, he has had NO fleas on him at ALL! Maybe coincidence...but looks like it works to me!
And he smells like a clean fluffy towel!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84564
[/QUOTE]
We do the same thing on the advantage with our rescue animals. It really does save money that way. I have to use frontline for my cat though. He likes to prowl in the woods and picks up ticks.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Please DON'T bleach your floors. Bleach is soo toxic and it is not necessary for killing fleas. Remember your dog and cat are very close to the floor and sniff and snuff and lick things off the floor.

Pico occasionally picks up a flea from outside and I just pick it off of him and kill it. He gets combed every night and I have only found 3 on him the entire summer....and we live in hot and humid central Texas. Of course I credit the Beneficial Nematodes I sprayed twice this season with keeping the fleas down. I've been using the Advantage about every other month instead of every month and I vacuum frequently as well.

One or two fleas do not an infestation make if you kill them when you find them. I hate to see them on Pico, too, and I don't give up until I've caught and killed them. I found that grabbing the hunk of hair where the flea is and pulling it taut and laying it kinda sideways on his skin traps the flea in the hairs and I can pick it out with my fingernails.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for you helpfulness!

I've gone ahead and gotten both the puppy and my cat treated with Advantage, I've vacummed the entire condo EVERYWHERE, and I will be ordering some frontline spray for future use.

I actually haven't seen another flea on either of them,
so I really think I caught it early, espcially since neither of them go outside to pick more up.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by CoriMalte+Jul 26 2005, 01:09 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-babybinks22
@Jul 25 2005, 08:51 PM
watch out for your household cleaners as they may make your puppy sick.  don't take your puppy out and you really should have your cat up to date!  your puppy could get other diseases from your cat if you don't keep up!  your puppy could also suffer from allergies that your cat could come in from outside with.  the puppy stages are so important. i would consider separating the two until your dog is complete on his puppy boosters or at least to his rabies.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84510
I suppose it helps to read posts throughly before replying... As I've said he is an indoor ONLY cat, and has been his entire life (although he is microchipped just in case of escape!) He is fully up-to-date with his vaccinations, and I even take him to have his teeth cleaned annually! He is current on boosters *including* rabies, so there is no reason to separate the two once he is treated for the prevention of fleas. This is his house first and foremost, and he won't be limited to any part of it.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=84519
[/B][/QUOTE]

sorry! didn't mean to upset you so.
just trying to give you friendly advice! I've been through a similar ordeal with just ONE pet! I think I've heard that maltese are pretty hypoallergenic to fleas and their doo-doo even though they are sprayed and have frontline... they only kill fleas.. not protect your puppy from endo allergies given to him from fleas that have just hopped on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
the only reason why i have concern is because i don't even have another pet and i keep kenji on frontline plus. Right now he can't go out frolicking in the grass because he's allergic to fleas and their byproducts. he was never allowed outdoors as a puppy until he was complete on all his boosters and vaccinated. am i still missing something here? He is just about 18 months. I give him frontline plus drops and he came home from a walk with fleas one day. I guess because it's summer, I've noticed fleas on him for the first time with flea prevention application! I noticed poor kenji scratching and biting his feet often and I wondered what was going on. Turns out a lot of dogs are allergic to fleas and their poop! Now that I keep him indoors we have kept the fleas out of the house. He no longer scratches and bites at his feet. Hope your baby is well and flea free! :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts