Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ruby has fleas! She has little black specks all over her back. I did see one bug (flea?) near her bottom. Are these fleas and flea poop? Ruby is an indoor dog and the only place she has been was the groomer on Oct. 5th. I noticed a bug on her last week, but didn't think anything of it. She's not on any flea preventative because my vet and I didn't think there was a need, he said that they only live in damp, dark areas and since she's an indoor dog there really wasn't a reason to give her anything. Well, I guess we were both wrong.

Of course since its Sunday the vet is closed. Should I wait until tomorrow or take her to the emergency vet today? I won't be able to take her until tomorrow after work. I just worry because she's so little.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by mimi2@Oct 23 2005, 08:04 AM
he said that they only live in damp, dark areas and since she's an indoor dog there really wasn't a reason to give her anything.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112479
[/QUOTE]

Not sure I agree with that...

They can live/hatch in your carpet and other places and we still have yard fleas in the middle of summer when we have gone WEEKS without rain.

Anyway, it probably is flea stuff that you are seeing.
This is my suggestion...

Go get a Capstar pill from the vet. This will start to kill the fleas that are on her.
Give her a good flea bath, rinse her in Downey Fabric Softener (rinse that off)...blow dry her and treat her with Advantage/Frontline. Do all this right after she has the Capstar.

THEN, treat your house. Spray or powder your carpets...wash her bedding...throw out your vacuum bag and put a flea collar in a new one.

They are a pain to get rid of, but eventually they will disappear.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I would suggest you bath her immediately and if you don't have any flea rinses try using a rinse of Downy fabric softener as I am told fleas do not like it. I am sure there are other natural remedies that I can't think of right now, but you will have to treat your house to kill all fleas that may now be present. Also you will have to wash her bedding etc.
I would say she has picked up the fleas at the groomer by the sound of things.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the mystery of where she got them has been solved....we have a lot of tear downs going on in our neighboorhood, we have NEVER had a mouse in the house but I have found what looks like rodent droppings in our laundryroom! So, off to the hardware store to get traps and we will be calling the vet at 7:00 am tomorrow when they open and get her fixed up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had had no flea problems all summer but just the past week I have begin to see them on the kidz. I am going to get some of that Capstar tomorrow if my vet has it. I had never heard of that thanks Traci. YOu stay on top of things that is for sure.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We caught one mouse! Too bad I can't send the bill to the builders! Ruby has an appointment this morning for a flea bath and to start Frontline. We are taking the day off to treat the house and get these disgusting pests out of the house.

·
Registered
313 Posts
well...l.e. has fleas now too. we just moved into a new apartment and i kept getting all these bites. my boyfriend and i thought it had to be all the spiders that we living in the apartment, but then he noticed how much l.e. was scratching. well, he looked at her back and saw five fleas on her in just one sitting. so, out i went today, even though i'm sick, to petco to get rid of them. i've noticed l.e.'s looked uncomfortable the past few days, but just thought that she was adjusting to the new house. boy was i wrong.

to start the cleaning process i filled the sink with water and Dawn dishwashing soap and lett her stand in it for a few minutes and soak. i rinsed her and then washed her with her normal Bless the Beasts soap. then i took her out and gave her a good look over with the flea comb. has anyone ever tried to use one of those on our furbabies? well it was almost impossible with l.e.'s long hair. so after it looked like i got her all clean, i packed her up and we're at my parents house while i'm bombing our apartment with bug fogger. when we get home i'm going to sray some non-toxic (to dogs and humans that is) on the carpet so the flea eggs will die.

i'm hoping to get rid of most of them this weekend so id on't have to worry about her next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts