Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I completely agree with Nichole. I too have not flown with a puppy, but I would definantely get the smaller bag just to prevent any problems at the air port if they wanna be sticklers about the size of it.
I think the treats are a good idea to get her to not mind being in it as bad. Also if u give her treats periodically on the plane, it may keep her from being too bored...being a 5 and 7 hour flight. Would there be room for some sort of a small chew bone or toy in there at all to also entertain her some? I also agree with Nichole on having a blanket over her and petting her during the flight. I think it would help relax her and not feel like she is in such a strange situation...having to be in a bag. Best of luck, and have a great trip! :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
Mee....
One more suggestion. Call your vet and get Jong-ee a mild tranqualizer. If she does panic it will calm her (wich will in-turn calm you down
) and she will sleep through most of the flight. I have a friend who travels often with her Chihuahua and has had to use the tranqualizer a few times. It is just strong enough to calm the pup down, she will curl up in a ball and sleep.

You may also want to ask the vet for a "health certificate". It is best to have this with you when traveling with your pup... it shows that the dog is healthy and up to date on all shots. I always get one before traveling.

Judi

·
Registered
205 Posts
Next week I will be flying America West too to bring home my pup. I bought a carrier that my friend used to travel w/ for her pup but its bigger than the Amer. West requirements <_< . So now I have to find a smaller one too! My friends vet told her to give her puppy Benadryl to help him relax on the flight. Maybe ask yours about that.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Me,

I have traveled with Pico half a dozen times in the past two years. The first trip, I asked my vet for a tranquilizer just in case Pico didn't do well. He suggested I give him 1/4 of a tablet before the day of the trip to see how Pico handled it. I did and I just hated what it did to him so I didn't give it to him the day of our trip and he did just fine.

He never liked the carrier, either, and I had tried everything for several weeks to get him accustomed to it but he always tried to claw his way out of the mesh sides and made a mess of them. But once on the plane and the engines started, he settled down and was fine the whole way.

Like you, I was a nervous wreck about the trip but now it is a piece of cake. Here's a couple of tips to make your trip easier:

Make sure your shoes, clothing, etc. will all pass through security without sounding the alarm so you don't have to go back and start taking things off or get scanned manually. If you have a zipper or metal on your clothing and can take it off before going through the scanner, do so. I wear rubber soled shoes with no metal decorations or arch and usually wear clothing that has no metal whatsoever. Same with jewelry. It's just so much easier traveling with Pico if I keep things simple.

Take your furbaby out of his carrier and send the carrier through the scanner along with your purse, etc. Leave his halter off (you don't put a collar on a Maltese anyway) and carry him through security in your arms. Be prepared to have a crowd around you :lol: And watch the eyes light up and the smiles on the security people when they see jong-ee

I put Pico's halter on once we're past security and leash him and let him stay out of the carrier while waiting to board so he doesn't have to spend so much time in the carrier.

When boarding, I hold the carrier high in front of me so the flight attendants can see Pico. If they ooh and aaah, there is a good chance they will be cool about it if you take him out during flight and let him sleep on your lap. If their eyes glaze over, don't even try it. On one flight, Pico slept on my lap for several hours and the attendants didn't even notice him until later. They may have thought he was a sweater on my lap or something.

Since I am familiar with DFW I always take him out for a potty break if there is enough time between flights. I found where a patch of grass is at Departures and I head for that. Jong-ee may not be able to hold it for 7 hours so it is good you added pee pads to the carrier.

Relax. It's going to be fine and you are going to love traveling with your furbaby. Let us all know how your trip went.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Wow, sounds like Jong-ee travels like a champ, what a good little girl you have there!! :D I'm so worried to take Tuffy on a plane because he always starts crying if he's in his carrier too long and he barks at ANY person who walks past us. I'm sorry you had to endure so many stop overs, that really sucks when you have a little doggy but I'm glad you two made it through just fine.
And we'll be sending some get well soon vibes to Jong-ee too

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats awesome that everything worked out though. im glad jong-ee had a great time with your boyfriend. so in december are you going back to DC or is he coming to LA?

did people stop you at the airport to pet jong-ee? its hard going anywhere because people always want to talk to sprite and ellie.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts