Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just lost my sweet Maltese boy at 13 and am devastated. I found a so called breeder named Joan Latreille from Diva Maltese in North Florida outside of Ocala She has a website. She does say I can come visit and see parents. However, she is not on breeder list. I also cannot find anything on the web except on dognet. No reviews anywhere.. Has anyone heard of Diva Maltese? Anyone purchase from here?

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Hi and welcome to SM! :welcome1:
I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard, and I hope you are doing okay.
I have never heard of that breeder and looked at her website. I would be concerned that she could be what is called a hobby breeder or back yard breeder, meaning that she doesn't show her dogs,just breeds for profit The ones she is showing as available also look very young. Reputable Maltese breeders dont let the puppies leave their mother until 12 weeks.
My first Maltese Molly was from a back yard breeder, and had lots of health issues throughout her life. So when she died, I wanted to find a healthy dog and sought out a reputable breeder. The American Maltese Association has a list by state which is a good start: Breeder Referral by State | American Maltese Association
Also, if you look in the Forums section here on Breeders, there are some good
"stickies" on what to look for in a breeder, questions to ask, and things that are red flags.
Best wishes with your search!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
II am so sorry for your loss. I live in Florida. The only ones I know about is TNT in New Sryrna Beach and one in West Palm Beach area -Lynn S. and I think Pat O. got Ava from there? My breeder is in Vero Beach and PA, but the breeding part is in PA. I flew up and got Boo.

·
Super Moderator
10,137 Posts
I looked at diva dogs website and would be concerned they are backyard breeders who just breed two cute dogs without studying lines or being concerned about inherited disorders and long term health. I don’t see any indication that she shows her dogs, which is where reputable breeders “prove” that they are breeding healthy dogs who meet the breed standard.

I’m sorry about the loss of your pup and wish you luck in your search!

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
There are quite a few very good breeders in Florida.

Here is the list from the American Maltese Association. There are other great breeders who are not part of AMA. If you would like to meet great breeders in Florida, The Greater Miami specialty show will be at the Orlando Convention Center Dec. 15th with shows going on from Dec. 12th through Dec 17th. You can see and meet the best of the best.

Breeder Referral by State

LEE ALBRITTON

LuvLee Maltese
Email: [email protected]
Phone (Home): 954-260-2223
CHERYL FILSON

Cher-Chien Maltese
Cherchien Maltese
Phone (Home): 630-768-5548
SHARON GIRVEN

Blue Hill Maltese
Blue Hill Maltese
Phone (Home): 352-319-6855
KATHRYN LAROSA

Donryn Maltese
Phone (Home): 954-684-9019
TOM MEYER

TNT Maltese
Phone (Home): 805-377-1217
BONNIE PALMER

Bonnie's Angels Maltese
Phone (Home): 561-691-1691
MARY ANN PAUL

Petite Maltese
Phone (Home): 813 374 4894
CHRISTINE PEARSON

Crisandra Maltese
Phone (Home): 407-275-9890

·
Registered
49 Posts
My first dog 13 years ago I bought from a pet store knowing nothing about puppymills. Within 3 weeks she was having heart surgery to the tune of 4k. Luckily she has been well ever since. I had a ton of health issues from a show breeder so that was just bad luck. Then I adopted a puppymill breeder mom at 10 and she lived until 20. I would definitely stay away from a backyard breeder. 2 months ago a few people on this site recommended a good breeder to me in CA and I got the most awesome Maltese from her. Luckily I got a dog from one of her last litters.

·
Premium Member
20,025 Posts
Hey, Reva...some of these got mixed up....check the names...
Tom Meyer is TNT and Bonnie Palmer is Bonnie's Angels, etc....oops!

There are quite a few very good breeders in Florida.

Here is the list from the American Maltese Association. There are other great breeders who are not part of AMA. If you would like to meet great breeders in Florida, The Greater Miami specialty show will be at the Orlando Convention Center Dec. 15th with shows going on from Dec. 12th through Dec 17th. You can see and meet the best of the best.

Breeder Referral by State

LEE ALBRITTON

LuvLee Maltese
Phone (Home): 954-260-2223
CHERYL FILSON

Cher-Chien Maltese
Cherchien Maltese
Phone (Home): 630-768-5548
SHARON GIRVEN

Blue Hill Maltese
Blue Hill Maltese
Phone (Home): 352-319-6855
KATHRYN LAROSA

Donryn Maltese
Phone (Home): 954-684-9019
TOM MEYER

TNT Maltese
Phone (Home): 805-377-1217
BONNIE PALMER

Bonnie's Angels Maltese
Phone (Home): 561-691-1691
MARY ANN PAUL

Petite Maltese
Phone (Home): 813 374 4894
CHRISTINE PEARSON

Crisandra Maltese
Phone (Home): 407-275-9890

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I noticed that too, Pat. If one isn't "in the know" it could be confusing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi. Just lost my sweet Maltese boy at 13 and am devastated. I found a so called breeder named Joan Latreille from Diva Maltese in North Florida outside of Ocala She has a website. She does say I can come visit and see parents. However, she is not on breeder list. I also cannot find anything on the web except on dognet. No reviews anywhere.. Has anyone heard of Diva Maltese? Anyone purchase from here?
**UPDATE** - please do not purchase from Joan Latrielle at Diva-Maltes at Live Oak. I was stupid enough to give her a deposit. She turned around and sold my puppy for twice the amount. She breeds her dogs contstantly and has available puppies every month. She now is trying to breed them smaller and smaller. Those poor dogs being pregnant the majority of their lives. I feel so stupid that I fell for her lies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
UPDATE - please do not purchase from Joan Latrielle at Diva-Maltes at Live Oak. I was stupid enough to give her a deposit. She turned around and sold my puppy for twice the amount. She breeds her dogs contstantly and has available puppies every month. She now is trying to breed them smaller and smaller. Those poor dogs being pregnant the majority of their lives. I feel so stupid that I fell for her lies.
I’m so glad I saw this. I was supposed to send her a deposit today !
Not doing it now
Thank you

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when they leave us. Our 15 year old Kip passed 4 weeks ago and we are heartbroken. We would love another Maltese in the future and also don’t know where to look. Best wishes in your search - I hope someone can recommend a great breeder for you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
II am so sorry for your loss. I live in Florida. The only ones I know about is TNT in New Sryrna Beach and one in West Palm Beach area -Lynn S. and I think Pat O. got Ava from there? My breeder is in Vero Beach and PA, but the breeding part is in PA. I flew up and got Boo.
May I ask who the PA breeder is? We live in PA and would love to get another Maltese in the future. Ours passed away 4 weeks ago and we are devastated. Thanks so much!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts