Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a female maltese puppy and I am willing to spend up to $2500 if she is from a very good, reputable breeder and has a good pedigree. Has anyone had a good experience you would like to share?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmom@Dec 9 2004, 03:03 PM
I am trying to find a female maltese puppy and I am willing to spend up to $2500 if she is from a very good, reputable breeder and has a good pedigree.  Has anyone  had a good experience you would like to share?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21686
[/QUOTE]

Joyce Watkins at Marcris, Bonnie Palmer at Angels, and Theresa Meyer at TNT are ones that are on the American Maltese Association list that are well known in Maltese circles, etc. http://www.americanmaltese.org/

Marcris doesn't sell directly to the public I don't believe. Joyce Watkins is the owner and I think she will refer you to her handler, Sharon Girvin. .... I emailed back and forth with Joyce and Sharon early this summer when I was looking.... they did have some pups available but they were smaller than what I was looking for...... I'm not sure if you can get a female for $2,500 from top breeders, but you can probably get a male....

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Hey if you are willing to spend $2500 for $500 more you can get a girl from those breeders Kallie/Catcher's Mom mentioned i talked to all of them when i was looking for a puppy and i wish so much i could have gotten one from them but i just didnt have that much to spend
not that i dont adore sunny but their dogs are just like freaking perfect lol anyways if i remember correct their prices are all about the same $3000 for a girl $1800 for a boy (i think dont hold me to it) i would expect to get on a long waiting list though

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That $2500 range for girls seems to be the going rate here in NJ with the top breeders. We paid in that range for our puppy, and quite frankly I would've paid even more because she's such a wonderful little dog. I know that Chrisman Maltese also has a long waiting list, but has wonderful puppies when they are available. I would say that a review of the Maltese Specials that were held this fall would be a fine place to start. That way you can become familiar with the names of the top breeders and their dogs. When you interview prospective breeders, you will be able to recognize sires and dams that are familiar. I did a lot of investigating before we selected our breeder. I would say it took us about 18 months from the time we decided to get a dog, until we actually brought our puppy home.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I was interested in finding a good breeder when we got Sadie. While we were not interested in showing a dog, we were interested in breeders who show and are breeding perfect examples of Maltese. They sell as pet quality the puppies that don't meet the standard. I was NOT interested in breeders who have litter after litter. I wanted small show breeders, rather than big business. I looked at dog show results for shows in the southeast and then did searches on Yahoo or Google to find the owner's web pages. Several of the people that I contacted have females available. Here is one dog show link: http://www.onofrio.com/

Here is another: http://www.royjonesdogshows.com/

Prices for a pet quality female were in the $2000-$3000 range. I, like SaltyMalty, would have paid more. This dog should be with you for many, many years. While there are no guarantees on anything in this life, I felt like I was buying a little peace of mind. The breeders that I spoke to were very knowledgable and gave me a good feeling. I made contact with them via the internet and wrote a detailed letter with explaining our family situation, why we were looking for a puppy, ages of pets, children, housing, etc. I got very good responses from breeders who thanked me for providing so much info up front. They said that they get so many letters from people just wanting to know if they have a dog available. The good breeders are really concerned about where their puppies go and how they'll be cared for etc. You will find that the more info you give, the more inclined they will be to talk to you. All internet contact was followed up with voice to voice conversation.

Good luck. I'm going to PM you a few other links that I don't feel like would be appropriate to post.

Susan

PS. I also used the list from the American Maltese Association. http://www.americanmaltese.org/

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have posted this before:

So You Want To Use Your Dog At Stud

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only the very best males should ever be used at stud. The only reason anyone should breed his animal is to try to improve the breed. A bitch owner can go to any of the top stud dogs in the country. So, what does your dog have to offer?

Has your male been evaluated in the show ring by qualified judges against top competition?
Has he been OFA certified clear of hip and elbow dysplasia?
Have his eyes been checked by a veterinary opthalmologist, who certified him clear of PRA and other hereditary eye defects?
Has he been tested clear of brucellosis?
Is he of the proper temperament?
If you can answer yes to all of the above questions and you are one of the lucky few to own an outstanding dog, are you ready and qualified to handle a stud dog?

Breeding doesn't always happen 1-2-3. Do you have the necessary facilities to board a bitch in season to keep her safely in and the neighbor dogs out? Are you prepared to board a problem bitch or a bitch that the owner just doesn't want around while she is in season because it is too much of a hassle?

Are you prepared to spend sleepless nights with your boarding bitch in season barking and your male pacing and howling?

Are you prepared to handle the problem bitch that doesn't want to be bred and tries to tear your dog to shreds?

Are you qualified to evaluate pedigrees and judge if your dog's five-generation pedigree will complement the bitch's? After all, it's your dog's name and reputation you're passing on to that litter.

Are you qualified to advise the bitch owner on whelping and puppy care? If your dog is bred to a bitch belonging to a novice owner, that owner is going to expect you to have all the answers. Do you have a ready market for offspring of your stud dog to help the bitch owner place the litter? (This is usually achieved by showing your dog and having him become well known. A lot of time and money must be put into your dog if you want to get anything back.)

Have you seen many bitches in season at all, and can you tell when it is best to breed the bitch?

Have you ever assisted in a breeding, or even seen one so you will know what you have to do? Do you realize that its more than putting the two dogs in an area together? Do you realize that leaving a dog and a bitch in season alone together can be disastrous and may even physically harm both?

Are you prepared for the change in your male's temperament? Once he's been used for stud, that will become the only thing on his mind. Or are you prepared for the wear and tear on your stud dog ... his not eating, pacing and constant whining will not be easy to cope with.

As you can see, its not all that easy. Please think about it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Are you willing to loose some of the things that make your dog such a great pet? When used for breeding, dogs will take on different characteristics. Marking of furniture and walls, roaming and jumping the fence, mounting objects and people, some dogs become more aggressive. Also, once a young dog's fancy turns to sex it can be very hard to refocus his attention. Many males will not eat if there is a female in season near by. Some bark and carry on for hours driving every one near by out of their minds.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
And just to give you a taste of what you could be responsible for in Maltese: if the breeding produces a liver shunt, you may have to help pay for surgery which can cost around $3,000.

·
Registered
77 Posts
:eek: Wow What ever happened to just having the love to breed your Maltese..... People breed dogs everyday.... Everywhere i go someone ask me if my Maltese is a show dog... I thought it would be a good thing... Remember I own a Maltese just like you i love the breed also , and would only want to go about this in the right way.....

Remember most breeders start first by owning the adorable Maltese then they become breeders.............

Sorry i ask.....

Oh if anyone has anything positive to say by all means stand up.....

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What happened to just breeding for the love of Maltese? There is no such thing in a responsible breeder.

If you truly love the Maltese, you will NOT breed your dog unless he meets the breed standard (judged in a show ring, not by friends or family), he has all the necessary genetic testing and, most importantly, you are willing to take financial and physical responsibility for any puppies he fathers.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 10 2005, 08:12 AM
What happened to just breeding for the love of Maltese? There is no such thing in a responsible breeder.

If you truly love the Maltese, you will NOT breed your dog unless he meets the breed standard (judged in a show ring, not by friends or family), he has all the necessary genetic testing and, most importantly, you are willing to take financial and physical responsibility for any puppies he fathers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41733
[/QUOTE]

We used to have a wonderul Maltese breeder in the town where I live. My vet was her vet and he used to tell me about all the enzyme testing she was doing with the state vet teaching hospital..... At the time I knew nothing about liver disease and enzymes and had not a clue what he was talking about. He was so impressed with her desire to improve the breed.

When it was time for a puppy a couple years ago I called her. She said that she is no longer breeding. I forget exactly how she phrased her reason for not breeding anymore but it was something like this: "It is a dilemma. Responsible breeding can sometimes mean not breeding at all" ..... I hope you can get the point, as I did not say it very eloquently and she did....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes, we missed the boat on that question......you only asked for people to share "good experiences". And some of us foolishly told you the down side of breeding a Maltese. But then we would not be responsible forum members if we did not make sure you knew the downside of breeding this little, vulnerable animal. There was nothing in your post that indicated you had knowledge about Maltese breeding and it was right and normal for those who do to share it with you.

I hope you don't resent this advice. No one is telling you NOT to breed, just trying to spread the knowledge about it. One of the reasons puppymills flourish is because of ignorance in the general population and many on this forum were in that population prior to owning a pet or prior to finding a forum like this. Me included. So we take any opportunity to educate, whatever the subject. Hang around a while and you'll find yourself doing the same thing.

We all love this breed, too, and just want the best for both the furbabies and the people they own.

By the way, Pico was from a litter whose mother was bred one time so the family could have more pets for themselves and family. The family veterinarian found the stud and supervised the breeding so everyone thought they were doing the right thing. The parents both had Champions in their lineage. Pico has MVD, his sister is deaf, his brother is underweight for his size and his mother is on steroids for severe allergies.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
If you want to breed a better Maltese, then you need to do it right. We have a huge pet overpopulation problem in the US so breeding just because is not a great reason.

1. Show your dog to get outside opinions about how well he meets the breed standard.

2. Health test your dog for knees, eyes, and liver disease.

3. Research your dogs pedigree to find out about health issues produced, structure produced, what lines it mixes well with, major faults, temperament, etc.

4. Get a mentor, preferably the breeder of your dog as show quality breeding potential dogs are kept on a tight leash by their breeders. Breeding is an art, not just putting 2 dogs together. It takes years to learn about structure, evaluating dogs, etc.

5. Be prepared to be responsible for what you breed. That means assisting the bitch owner in paying expenses if the litter produces a serious health problem like liver shunt. It may also mean taking responsibility for any puppies produced by your stud if the bitch owner for some reason cannot do it. It takes 2 to tango and both are responsible for the outcome.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I re-read some of your earlier posts and saw that Bushi had an appointment January 7th to be neutered, but that your "husband" was against it.

Thanks you so much for your support i was really starting to get worried about getting Bushi Neauterd, because of my "Husband". He thinks I'm being mean buy getting this done.... I had to make a second call to the Vet to make me feel better.... My husband said that anything could happen while he's asleep and what if he dont never wake up.... That was so Mean of Him.... I guess it's a Man thing... Bushi is still Getting Neauterd, because it's the best thing to do..... Right?

Well i'll keep you guys posted.......

Jan 7th Bushi's big Day.....

Why did you change your mind?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I also noticed that you bought Bushi from a pet store. Please don't breed a pet shop puppy! He could be a carrier of all sorts of genetic disorders.

After reading on the Maltese Breed for about a "Year", It's funny because you go over the Do's and the Dont's and you can still buy an Maltese on impluse. The Biggest Dont was not to buy from a Pet Store, and that's exactly what i did. I drove all the way to Staten Island, it took for ever to get there coming from Queens. She was about to close when i got there. That's when i Notice it was a Pet Shop. It was like a Diva Shop for dogs. Very Clean. She had it set up like an Puppy Day Care. When i met Bushi, i saw him in a Doggie Crib beside 2 others. I thought that was 2cute. In less than 5minutes i bought him. SOLD!!! He's every thing i wanted in a Maltese. The only concern i had, was that she didnt ask me anything about my house hold. She Never Once Did a Follow up Call to see how he was making out. He came home with a Kennal Cough, and stood in the Hosptial a few days for not Eating. Price $600.00 Puppie $1100.00 Totals out to $1700.00 in one week. He's fine now, and i love him to death. He's still a Finiky Eater, but he's eating.... Wouldnt trad him for the World. Well, that's my Story. You live and you Learn. The End..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts