Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doubt that any of you living on the gulf side of Florida are checking in today but I want to wish you the best of luck to make it through the storm. My father-in-law lives outside of Tampa and is busy preparing for the strom to hit. He is not in an evacuation area, but I know (from experience) that the storm system can be quite severe.

Best of luck to all of you; keep safe and let us know how you and your pups make it through.

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats so scary. i was watching CSI: Miami (and since everything is true on there
) i saw this episode where there was a hurricane and this guy had drowned from it and this lady who did target practice with her gun and was killed by an old bullet she had lying around.....anyway, it was really freaky and it makes me reluctant to ever go to florida(but i think i still go someday because i REALLY want to go to disneyworld and universal studios).

tikismom, i hope your father in law is ok.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I saw that episode. That would be so scary! When I was little we lived in West Palm Beach, FL for a year. Luckly there were no huricanes while we were there. In IA all we have to deal with is tornados and so far I have not had one near us. *Knock on wood* I have only had to go to the basement twice in my life that I remember and both times the tornado totally missed our area.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
are there any states that dont have natural disasters?? geez. tornados freak me out. i saw wizard of oz. :eek: i dont see how thats a kids movie in the beginning.

here, in california, we get earthquakes. but i lived through the 6.7 magnitude--it wasnt THAT bad where i lived. and since then there have been maybe 3 that i've felt. and it feels like youre in a bungalow (trailer) and someone slammed the door hard. so earthquakes dont freak me out. but all those other things---i'd be scared to leave the house (or bomb shelter). :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nicole, my parents live in Dubuque, IA (right on the border of IA, IL & WI) and we think their dog "felt" that earthquake. At the exact time of the earthquake she went nuts barking. My mom woke up thinking someone was trying to break in or something. The funny thing is Oreo never barks. We have had people TPing our house and Oreo stands at the window watching them, wagging her tail. :lol:

No one else in the house, or town was able to feel it. Not sure if other animals went nuts.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I would be so scared if I lived in the hurrican area. Carissa so if you have to evacuate how much notice do you get? Do you pack up some of your things? As you can probably tell I have never had to evacuate my home.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When hurricane Andrew hit south Florida we were living in Boca Raton. The storm was forcast to hit our area, but it wasn't bad; we had to board up our home, but we were not evacuated. My cousin was living in Homestead.... he and his wife were airforce. That was crazy and scary! We didn't have to evacuate and when the storm was approacing they thought Homestead would be safe so they didn't order an evacuation there. My cousin road out the storm in his home, hidden in a closet. He and his wife (and 2 daschunds) could see the roof of their home rising and falling as the storm passed. He said it was louder than the jets on the teramack at the base... he had never been so afraid in his life. His home was flooded and most everything was destroyed. They came to live with us for 6 weeks while things got straightened out. Months later you could still see the effects of the storm.... missing street signs, destroyed houses.....Awful.

Hurricane Andrew

Here in Austin, Texas we don't get much except HEAT and some tornados.

Judi

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 13 2004, 03:04 PM
I would be so scared if I lived in the hurricane area. Carissa so if you have to evacuate how much notice do you get? Do you pack up some of your things? As you can probably tell I have never had to evacuate my home.
I have no clue how much notice we get. I as well have never evacuated my home. I did however pack up the important stuff, and for sure got all of Meesta's toys and food, and plenty of water. I think I had more of his stuff than my own, lol!! :lol:

Luckily they are saying that it isn't going to be TOO bad! I'm glad! Maybe we won't have to evacuate here. Some of the counties near me, I believe, might have evacuated already!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My father-in-law fair well, no problems just lots of wind :>)
He was much luckier than some others though..... well wishes and prayers for all of them.

Judi

·
Registered
69 Posts
It turns out that the mayor here did evacuate like 2 counties. They even made a four lane highway going both directions, an "out only" route. Like ALL of the lanes were leaving the coast. They showed it on tv here. It was really weird to see. We got no bad weather here however. Not really any wind or even that much rain! I'm so happy we are all ok, and didn't have to go through the hurricane!! :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I am in palm beach florida my dad is an tampa and my aunt is in key west so but all of us are fine....it hardly even rained here and only a few people lost power it totaly missed us my aunt is the only one who actulyy had any damage done she lost power and the back window of her car got broken by a flying coconut which is kinda funny in a sick sorta way but yeah its punta gorda that got totaly smashed at teh rish of sounding like i dont care about them i am just glad it was a little town that not like miami or something like that

1 - 18 of 18 Posts