Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
My mom wants to get a Maltese puppy to keep her company when she retires. The last time she bought a puppy was in the 80s (a beagle) and she only paid $200. A lot of Maltese I’ve seen online are in the $2000s! Is that the average for a Maltese puppy? Also, we are living in the Gainesville area so suggestions of breeders in Florida would be appreciated!

·
Registered
"Tina" Aventina Shadowfax Porpentina Esther Goldstein Scamander
10 Posts
Hi, I got a Maltese puppy recently, and I called dozens of breeders. There were very few who were going to have future litters this year for sure, and even fewer who had them available. The average prices ranged from $3000 to $5000 from the breeders. The most expensive price was $5000 from Florida and the least expensive one was $3000 from New York. I only called breeders from the American Maltese Association, so they were reputable, high quality kennels, which is why I think the prices were higher. My parents also got a Maltese in 2005 for our family, and she was $1200 after a $1600 discount at a pet store. I think overall, breeders' puppies are more expensive than puppies from a pet store, but it's the better way to go since puppy mills are not good. There are also rescue organizations that have Maltese, and the adoption fees are around $300-$700. Korean K9 Rescue often has Malteses.

Edit: Regarding the puppy we got back in 2005, I meant "she was $1200 after a $400 discount at a pet store." The $400 discount happened because she was already five months old. She was $1600 before the discount when we visited her when she was four months old.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Hi, I got a Maltese puppy recently, and I called dozens of breeders. There were very few who were going to have future litters this year for sure, and even fewer who had them available. The average prices ranged from $3000 to $5000 from the breeders. The most expensive price was $5000 from Florida and the least expensive one was $3000 from New York. I only called breeders from the American Maltese Association, so they were reputable, high quality kennels, which is why I think the prices were higher. My parents also got a Maltese in 2005 for our family, and she was $1200 after a $1600 discount at a pet store. I think overall, breeders' puppies are more expensive than puppies from a pet store, but it's the better way to go since puppy mills are not good. There are also rescue organizations that have Maltese, and the adoption fees are around $300-$700. Korean K9 Rescue often has Malteses.
Fortunately, more and more places are outlawing selling puppies in a pet store because of the deplorable conditions in which they are bred. Adopting a dog from a breeder who is a member in good standing of the American Maltese Association ensures the breeder is treating the dogs in a responsible, ethical, humane manner. Keep in mind that a lot of rescues also find themselves with puppies in addition to older dogs. AMAR and Northcentral Maltese Rescue are two of the best. A friend of mine also found herself with a very young dog (definitely less than two years old) from her local humane shelter.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts