Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flossies I bought arrived and seem very big...can I cut them? I handed it to Rocky and although he loves it, it seems a waste to give him such a big one. Anyone using these?

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I'll try, but right now he's chomping on it and hasn't raised his head in 20 minutes....he LOVES them. Maybe I can get away with a few extra fetch times while I'm watching tv tonite, LOL.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Be careful with the flossies.. I have one dog who chews and chews, but I often have to go and pull it out of her mouth because she has the whole long gommy string in her mouth and I'm afraid she might choke if she swallowed it.. Better to cut them in half I think..That being said, my dogs adore them...

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Just be careful with the flossies that he doesn't chew off a lot of that gooey white stuff (which is what happens to the flossies when they do chew it a lot). I wouldn't let Tyler swallow it as I've read that it can cause digestive problems. :huh: So I always supervise his chewing them. The other night I didn't realize he had it and he started trying to cough something up and little bits of white started flying out of his mouth.:w00t: They really were choking him. I ended up taking it away and won't give it back unless I'm watching. When he gets them really soft I take them away and cut that part off with a scissors.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I got some flossies from Crystal's shop and they don't get that gooey white string on them like the Merricks do, for some reason. I cut my in half as a whole one is just too big for us. Also with the Merricks, for some reason, they make bisou burp (gross, I know).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Be careful with the flossies.. I have one dog who chews and chews, but I often have to go and pull it out of her mouth because she has the whole long gommy string in her mouth and I'm afraid she might choke if she swallowed it.. Better to cut them in half I think..That being said, my dogs adore them...
Just be careful with the flossies that he doesn't chew off a lot of that gooey white stuff (which is what happens to the flossies when they do chew it a lot). I wouldn't let Tyler swallow it as I've read that it can cause digestive problems. :huh: So I always supervise his chewing them. The other night I didn't realize he had it and he started trying to cough something up and little bits of white started flying out of his mouth.:w00t: They really were choking him. I ended up taking it away and won't give it back unless I'm watching. When he gets them really soft I take them away and cut that part off with a scissors.
I got some flossies from Crystal's shop and they don't get that gooey white string on them like the Merricks do, for some reason. I cut my in half as a whole one is just too big for us. Also with the Merricks, for some reason, they make bisou burp (gross, I know).
Thanks for the warnings guys...when I looked at the flossie again, my little boy Rocky had it half chewed (it's 8 inches long) and the white part hanging! Now I'm nervous, so I'll be watching him instead of relaxing like I thought I would be. Better I know now and be safe than sorry. :thumbsup: Next time I'll try Crystal's.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I don't cut the flossies/bully sticks in half because it's easier for them to grab onto with their paws when they are longer length. They do get that white gooey string (as you saw), and because of that I only let them chew on them for about 20 minutes. I give them Antlerz to chew on all of the time.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Hey guys - All the flossies are Merrick flossies. Crystals sells Merrick flossies too.

Some of them get a lot of white gooey stuff and some don't. Each flossy is a little different. Also the way the dog chews the flossy has a lot to do with it. My havanese likes to get the long stringy stuff on his flossies where my my malt pulls it off and eats it in small peices before she moves on. My BG just chews off big chunks and swallows, we have to keep an eye on him.

If one of my dogs doesn't finish a flossie in one sitting I usally put them in a ziploc and the give it to them again in a day or so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts