Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each day, I get up, get breakfast for the fluffs, shower, dry my hair, get dressed, put on a little make-up and fragrance. All the while the fluffs are playing or napping - - -

If I use spray hair spray on my hair (which I do, only if I’m going out somewhere, market, shopping, etc) - Barron will leap to his feet, and not leave my side. This has happened many times, I thought he hated the smell of the hair spray -

BUT, I come to realize that he knows that when I use the hair spray, I will be leaving the house - it amazes me how smart and perceptive fluffs really are.

My Nicholas would do that when I got my suitcases out to go on a trip -but somehow, Barron knowing that the hair spray indicates that I'm leaving, is astounding to me.

What about your fluffs - do they do things like this, also?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Allie -- I totally agree. How do the girls know when I'm going to stay home or go to the office? Especially, for example, if it's a holiday, so I'm staying home an extra day.

At first, I thought maybe it was the alarm clock. I don't normally set it if I'm not going to work. Or maybe it's just the fact that when I get up, I make coffee and then take a shower on the work days but on the non-work days I just make coffee.

It's strange that they're so very smart and know -- but they do. I just wish they would tell me how they know. :)

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
With Star, and Scruff, it was the rattling of my keys that was the signal I was leaving - they always knew. :huh:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Alex knows that I am going out by which clothes I am putting on. Then he looks at me like asking if he can come with me. Most of the time I tell him "No, you cannot come with me". Of course he is not happy about it and makes it known.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I agree that they are very smart!!! Teddy starts going ballistic when he
hears anybody say "I'm going" or "I'm leaving". He also goes crazy when
someone picks up keys or a pocketbook. He hates it when people leave
and don't take him along.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Yes! My guys are the same way!! When they see me take the mirror and look at the back of my hair they know I'm getting ready to leave and they go in to their crates. In many cases they know what I'm going to do before I do!! On grooming day they somehow know that I'm going to be taking them to grooming, which they don't like. I am always amazed how they know even before I start putting them in the car. But I guess I must do something different on grooming day and I don't even realize it!

Kallie is especially perceptive. If I leave a room without turning the light out she will stay in the room because she knows I'm coming back.

That's why I know that dogs love routine. They really thrive on things being the same and following a routine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cloud is the same @MalteseJane..I was surprised when I observed this behavior. He automatically knows whether he's joining me & the BF when we plan to go out just by what we wear. For some reason, ever since Cloud was a pup there was some type of 'invisible perimeter' that he doesn't walk past unless we call him any further into the condo, so he doesn't go past the couch area unless told to do so. If he sees me & BF in regular clothes he knows that we're going out alone and stays in his area. If he sees us putting on workout clothing/workout shoes, he starts walking past the 'invisible perimeter' towards the front door/near us. It amazes me how he knows that he's coming along or not especially since my BF and I take random walks and it's not an actual daily routine for us.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes! My guys are the same way!! When they see me take the mirror and look at the back of my hair they know I'm getting ready to leave and they go in to their crates. In many cases they know what I'm going to do before I do!! On grooming day they somehow know that I'm going to be taking them to grooming, which they don't like. I am always amazed how they know even before I start putting them in the car. But I guess I must do something different on grooming day and I don't even realize it!

Kallie is especially perceptive. If I leave a room without turning the light out she will stay in the room because she knows I'm coming back.

That's why I know that dogs love routine. They really thrive on things being the same and following a routine.
Shar,

The mirror - wow, that's really perceptive.

Fluffs hate the sound of heels also - they know that means "dress clothes" and NOT "walking gear"

Fluffs are the best.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I agree that the fluffs are so perceptive! I'm usually in my pajama when I stay at home, so Yeager knows the moment that I change out of my pajamas that I'm going out. He watches me when I change and knows what to do accordingly :p And for bath days, the moment that he sees me take out his shampoo bottle he runs and tries to stay "invisible" on his bed haha!

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
with my dogs is when come downstairs during weekdays and I am dressed in work clothes. the minute I put on my high heels they march into the crate and give that sad look... it breaks my heart!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Allie, I know what you mean. I work at home a lot and in the apartment I wear these little Chinese slippers that they sell in Chinatown for $3.:blush::HistericalSmiley: I really don't want to track in the NYC sidewalk dirt so I wear them all the time at home. When I'm going out I put on shoes and Tyler goes crazy. He knows that means I'm leaving. He's all excited and hoping he can come along. But I have to say he's amazing when I say, "Mommy will be home soon" he stays where he is and doesn't try to come or escape. :wub: They are so smart.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
They really are smart. Mine know when I'm leaving too. I think its because I keep my around the house flip flops on or in the utility room. If I get shoes from my closet they all know I'm leaving. Its amazing at how they can put things together. Once while Zoey was still an only dog I was thinking I would give her a bath. She hates baths but before I even got anything out to bath her she went MIA. Her dad was working in the backyard and she was coming in and out but when I went to get her we couldn't find her. She was hiding behind our building and wouldn't come when we called her. I'll never figure that one out, it was like she read my mind. :blink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts