Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Wow, that's weird..... Is there more than one study of this? The city where I grew up had fluoridated water along with the surrounding cities <and still does but I don't live there anymore> I now live where there is well water and I drink bottled water. Seems my teeth are a lot weaker than they used to be and my dentist recommends fluoride drops in my water <haven't done it yet>. But all I know it that when I was a kid up until I was 18 or so, I could probably eat a BRICK, and now my teeth are sensitive to hot and cold and sweet stuff. Yet I have no cavities. If it's that poisonous I would think that the FDA would do something about putting fluoride in water then....?

-c

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Ok just to say I didnt read that whole thing just then, its really long and woke up recently lol.

I have heard about that before, I never drank tap water though and now I live where we have well water (which no one drinks) and am yet to have a cavity. I have heard about the fluoride being dangrous though and they have had arguments about it but it always seemed to come down to they jut have to be super careful with how much they are putting in the water. It did always kinda freak me out that they put stuff in the water though, I mean even if it was some amazing product with no bad side effects whatsoever (which apparently it isnt) I still wouldnt want someone else putting it in my water.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Do you know exactly what they put in your bottled water?? I'm not there when they bottle it, but I do see on some labels that there are added "minerals" for taste on some of the really expensive water.... What about the "fresh spring" water?? There are things living in that water. It freaks me out. I still drink it though...

-c

EDIT: Oh, and if you look at some of the water, it's bottled by a municipal source (TAP WATER).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yeah bottled water proubly isnt to great either, but its way better than teh well water that stuff smells and has a color to it (ewwww) we have a huge filter in teh backyard with every type of thing they make on it but out water is still gross.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I remember in college my chem teacher told us that fluride is fine as long as you don't have too much. She used to do consulting work at at one of the company's she went to they had this hung container of fluride. There was a faucet on it that driped (very slow drip). Well over time the fluride had eaten away at the concrete. There was a pretty good size chunk of concrete missing below the faucet.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@Jun 2 2005, 09:40 AM
Wow, that's weird.....  Is there more than one study of this?  The city where I grew up had fluoridated water along with the surrounding cities <and still does but I don't live there anymore>  I now live where there is well water and I drink bottled water.  Seems my teeth are a lot weaker than they used to be and my dentist recommends fluoride drops in my water <haven't done it yet>.  But all I know it that when I was a kid up until I was 18 or so, I could probably eat a BRICK, and now my teeth are sensitive to hot and cold and sweet stuff.  Yet I have no cavities.  If it's that poisonous I would think that the FDA would do something about putting fluoride in water then....?

-c
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68000
[/QUOTE]

Kinda what I was thinking...it is probably all about the amount that is in it. I know flouride is supposedly important when baby teeth are coming in with infants, thus the creation of the bottled nursery water with flouride. I have given Brink a couple jugs of it to see if it made a difference in tearing as compared to the spring or drinking water. I didn't notice a difference, so I may just go back to the cheaper jugs. But this is interesting information, although I will still make my kids use flouride toothpaste etc...it has been around a long time....flouride that is...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think people have been debating the safety of fluoride for half a century.

As far as our Malts go, though, I don't think I would take a chance with fluoridated water just for tearstains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts