Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on one of my most recent trips to the vet, i asked him what he thought about getting polaris' tear ducts flushed. He said that the tear ducts is delecate tissue that can rip as easily as tissue, and that i should do it only if i could accept the potential risk of this happening.
what do you think? have gotten you dog's tear ducts flushed? How much of a difference does it make?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by littlepaws@Apr 11 2005, 06:34 PM
on one of my most recent trips to the vet, i asked him what he thought about getting polaris' tear ducts flushed. He said that the tear ducts is delecate tissue that can rip as easily as tissue, and that i should do it only if i could accept the potential risk of this happening.
what do you think? have gotten you dog's tear ducts flushed? How much of a difference does it make?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51550
[/QUOTE]

chelsey just had her done a few weeks ago and it actually seem worst to me. The vet gave her an ointment to use to clear it up . I think we have an other two weeks to go with the ointment. That seem s to be making it better.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Mikey gets his tear ducts flushed every month or two by a board certified ophthalmologist who routinely does it in many animals. She is not concerned about any risk and, as a matter of fact, says Mikey's eyes are in much better shape since we do it more often (they don't tend to get red and irritated). Mikey sits still for his so it is not a big deal. His ophtho always laughs at how I know they are blocked or one is blocked even though his face is clean (I clean it...but I can tell when he's tearing a lot).

That said, blocked tear ducts are not always the primary cause for excessive tearing. I would recommend a visit to a veterinary ophthalmologist. They can flush his tear ducts to see if they are blocked and also look for other abnormalities, especially eye lash abnormalities, that your regular vet may not be able to see.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I had it done a few years back for Nibbler. It made things wrose and I will never do it again. You usually only flush the ducts to determine if it is clogged or not. It doesn't actually help with tear staining unless it determines that they are clogged and another course of action is taken to unclog them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts