Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking on these boards for a couple of months now while I've been searching for my puppy. Now that I've found him, I realize there are still about a million things I haven't thought to ask yet!

I will be flying to meet my puppy for the first time next week. I have found an airline approved carrier and will be able to have him with me in the cabin

1) I have no idea if this little guy will be prone to motion sickness but I'm wondering if there is anything I can give him? Like would a small dose of children's dramamine work? (I've heard of others giving children's benadryl on these boards).

2) Should I have any kind of blanet/towel in the carrier? I'm worried about if the puppy does have an accident or get sick, what would make this the easiest to clean up?

3) If I can't "see" the puppy, what kind of toy/chew could I have have in the carrier to keep him occupied?

4) if he is prone to whining, what would you suggest to calm him? I know I'm not allowed to remove him from the carrier while on the plane no matter what so what might be the most soothing for him?

5) Since I will have to arrive at the airport at least an hour prior to take off and we will have an hour layover (plus a three hour car ride after getting off the plane) is there anywhere at the airport that I could let the little guy stretch his legs? (on a harness of course)

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have never flown with a puppy before, but congrats on getting your new baby. Our vet did tell us with our's on car trips to bring along chewable children's dramamine in case of motion sickness(fortunately no problems). I would check with you vet on what dosage based on the size of your new baby. I would have a pee pad in the carrier along with some sort of soft blanket for cuddling with. That way you can change the pee pad easily during your layover if needed. If I were you I would check with the airport that you are having the layover in and see if there is an area for him to stretch, since all airports are different.

I am sure others on here have traveled and will have better suggestions. But just wanted to congratulate you on your new arrival..look forward to stories.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have wondered these same questions. One thing that really comes in handy for potty accidents, I dont know how others handle this, but I always have on hand a few baggies with 2 folded napkins in all of them. They came in handy this weekend when we had to do our business on the blacktop parking lot of lowes
Anyway, I wouldnt appreciate smelling any accidents on an airplane, but the baggie is a quick way to seal it up to carry it to the trash.

Mine didnt have any motion sickness, so hopefully you get lucky on that end

You cant go wrong with a greenie (for keeping them busy) but you really have to make sure they dont get any big pieces. What about a kong with peanut butter or other treats...

For the whining I think its best to ignore it so you might want to get her used to being ignored in there before plane time just to know how hes going to do. ooooh good luck

Make sure you have your leash and I've never had any trouble anywhere finding a place to let my girls out to walk. oooooh good luck

Once again, good luck!! and congrats!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Actually I would not recommend a greenie. They can make some dogs sick and you would have to worry about choking.

Lexi loves the Dental Chews. I would recommend having a hard an soft toy in the bag.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Mar 21 2005, 02:38 PM
I have wondered these same questions.  One thing that really comes in handy for potty accidents, I dont know how others handle this, but I always have on hand a few baggies with 2 folded napkins in all of them.  They came in handy this weekend when we had to do our business on the blacktop parking lot of lowes
  Anyway, I wouldnt appreciate smelling any accidents on an airplane, but the baggie is a quick way to seal it up to carry it to the trash.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=44981
[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea, but I don't even worry with the napkins. I bought a box of small blue poop bags off petedge. I put my hand inside the bag, pick up the poo, and then turn the bag inside out. Works for us...but that is for park/walks/etc. If you need to clean the spot, you may want a small thing of disinfectant wipes.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Congratulations...new puppies are so much fun. When I fly with Lacey I try to sneak her into the bathroom on the plane. I put a piddle pad down for her and wait to see if she needs to use. I would have a kong filled with peanut butter, a couple of baby blankets (one in the doggy case and one or two in your carry on), plastic bags for anything smelly, baby wipes (in case you need to clean her up) and put a couple of piddle pads down in the doggy carryon, I always tape the pads down so they don't move around. Put the tape under them so puppy cannot chew the tape. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Congrats on the new pup!!!! Peanut never got motion sickness before so I don't know about that part. A little blankie would help to make the pup more comfy and give him something to curl up with. My sister has a big dog that needed to be put under the plane with the luggage, but in boston at logan airport, they wouldn't let him come out of the crate to stretch. In orlando at the airport they let cosmo walk around in the airport on leash. Your best bet is to ask. I'm sure the employees will be so curious about your little one that they let you take him out for a while. I just got some Petstages toys. They come in tiny sizes great for a malt pup to play with, Peanut also has a few and they are soft and keep him busy for a while. I don't think you should give anything edible since you will not be able to see him clearly in the carrier, I wouldn't want to risk him chewing off too big a chunk. Good luck!!! I'm sure others will have better advice!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks, these are great tips so far! I'm so excited and so nervous too.

Baggies or poo bags of some kind = check
Disinfectant wipes = check

No greenies but might look into the dental chews.

Feeding:

I will be leaving Texas at 6:00 in the morning. Arrive in Memphis at 8:00 in the morning. Arrive in Chicago at 10:30 in the morning. And get to Madison around 1:00.

So that's a really long time for the puppy to go without eating anything but I'm not sure if eating a meal would contribute to his feeling quesy? Any suggestions for when the best time would be to feed him? Before the first plane ride? During the layover? When I arrive in Chicago but before the car ride home?

Also, since the puppy won't be completely vaccinated, I'm not sure where it would be safe for him to be wandering with all the germs/hands wanting to touch him, etc. Should I be concerned about this?

The breeder has agreed to give me a blanket with his litter mate's scent on it so I know that would make him more comfortable, but I'm not sure I should "risk" him soiling it by having it in the carrier. He will only get to know me for about an hour or two before I wisk him away with me so I'm not sure how "familiar" my scent will be?

Thanks for helping me feel more confident!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thats a good point. I know that they recommend you dont feed before car rides so that they dont get sick- but I know my puppy was fed at 8am the morning of the flight and water. I didnt get her until 5 and she was fine. I think honey or nutrical might not cause neasea (where is spell check on this thing) but you'd have to check on that. They expected she might "go" in her crate but she held it all that time.

I would be nervous about the vaccinations too. I got my baby at 15 weeks so that wasnt a concern. Hopefully someone else can offer advice there but I'd talk to the breeder and a vet too about that.

wow it seems like yesterday... good luck

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy.... how exciting!!!

I would discuss a lot of this with your breeder..... she probably can advise you on how he'll handle traveling, etc. based on her experinece. Keep us posted!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Maybe you could send the breeder one of your t-shirts with your scent on it in a ziplock bag, so the pup could get used to it now, and then your scent would be familiar to him when you picked him up. Just a thought. Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
How exciting for you. Can't wait to hear how the trip went!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Congrats! I have just traveled a couple of weeks ago to get my Lamby.At all the airports I was in they let me keep her out of the carrier until we boarded the plane.As long as they are on a lease. On the last plane we were on the attentent actually let me take her out of the carrier and hold her on my lap!!! Dont be afraid to ask too!! All they can say is no and they might let you!! I had a baby blanket and toys in the carrier for her. Our first flight home was cancelled due to weather,so she ate and drank and I took her outside to potty.Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Our babies do surprisingly well on planes! I have travelled several times with my furkids and all of them do extremely well. They usually just sleep without any trouble. Before getting on the plane, let them go potty. After you get off the plane, let them out and get some air

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all of you for your great advice, the trip went fantastic!

Tyler's Sis-- to clarify, I flew to Texas all by myself and I came back to Wisconsin WITH my puppy whom I had never seen prior to arriving in Texas.

I purchased my puppy from Tonia Holibaugh of Rhapsody Maltese in Austin Texas. I wanted to fly out to meet her and to get a visual of the puppy's surroundings. After many conversations over the phone and through email I decided I wanted one of Tonia's puppy's from her boy, Thriller. She sent me photos of "examples" of his children but didn't have one to show me of the puppy I would be getting.

I had to purchase my plane ticket on hotwire due to last minute travel. I ended up getting the absolute worst flight times possible. Didn't get into Austin until 11:00 at night and had to leave at 6:00 in the morning-- darn! Due to this and not wanting to disrupt the whole household, I decided it would be fine if I didn't actually go to the kennel and was met at an airport hotel instead. I know I know it's best to go to the actual place so I didn't do my homework 100% but sure did try.

I named him Tristan and he stayed up and played with me most of the night. He took to his carrier right away and slept pretty much the whole time in the airport and on the plane. Once we landed in Chicago we had a two hour car ride home and I think he'd had just about enough of traveling at that point but did pretty well.

I took off all last week from work and we bonded at home. I wish I had a digital camera, my film point and shoot just can't keep up with him! I don't have a scanner either so I guess some new technology will have to be on the horizon in the very near future.

Thanks for helping ease my anxieties all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts