Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to fly southwest becasue it is the easiest to fly in my area (and to buy tickets online). On their website it says that you can not fly with animals. BUT i remember reading on MO at some point long ago that someone said they did. Anyone fly southwest with a dog?

Also, what airline have you flown and how did it go for you?

I am planning way ahead for spring break to go see some family and I am hoping to take Bella with me.

Thanks!
Nicolle

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hellooo

i havent flew on southwest, but did fly on America west and started a thread asking about soft sided carriers about 4 months ago..

heres the link

soft sided carriers

i also wrote at the end how my trip went (i went to DC, about 5 hrs flight, but then when i went there on the first day my flight schedule became all messed up (delays etc) so apparently i stayed on the plane and at the airport of total of 24 hrs...

but my jongee did fine..

im sure your Bella will do fine too..
just make sure u have everything in advance (soft sided carrier, vet papers, etc)

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I flew Delta with my first Maltese, Rosebud, and it went fine. It was just a one-hour flight. I ended up buying an extra seat hoping that I could put her on the seat instead of underneath the one in front. I got the middle and window seat. After takeoff I put her in the window seat in her carrier and no one really knew she was there.

Coming back we had to get the middle and aisle (long story) and I had her in the middle seat with the top of the carrier open. The steward came by to ask if we wanted coke or sprite and Rosebud lunged at him with a vicious bark... (She did that sometimes!). So he ordered me to keep her on the floor.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i'm sure rosebud had a good judge of character. if it wasnt for rosebud....you would have no idea what that flight attendant was going to do!! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Nov 30 2004, 09:27 AM
i'm sure rosebud had a good judge of character.  if it wasnt for rosebud....you would have no idea what that flight attendant was going to do!!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19382
[/QUOTE]

Gotcha..... Rosebud didn't like the fact that this strange man was talking to me. She was extremely protective and could do some serious snapping and snarling!! And anyway the attendant was not very nice... he "snapped" back... "The dog has to stay on the floor the entire flight".

·
Banned
258 Posts
definitely Continental for me. i flew with canaille from Montreal-NY-Lima last year and all through both flights, the staff could not have been more welcoming and accomodating, both at the airport and on-flight. check for yourself...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by suzanne@Nov 30 2004, 09:31 AM
definitely Continental for me. i flew with canaille from Montreal-NY-Lima last year and all through both flights, the staff could not have been more welcoming and accomodating, both at the airport and on-flight. check for yourself...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19396
[/QUOTE]

That is really cool. So far I haven't had to fly with Lexi. But I hope if I ever do I get a crew like you had.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by suzanne@Nov 30 2004, 10:31 AM

[/QUOTE]

Wow...I could never get that lucky either!!! THat is great that they were so friendly and accommodating!!!! :D

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh gosh, too cute. You should do a book titled: "The Adventures of Canaille".. and have all her cute pictures with captions...... Maybe donate some of the proceeds to Maltese rescue or research.....

·
Banned
258 Posts
i also flew on air canada with canaille. that was my first flight with her: montreal- paris. 7 hours. i was not about to let her spend all that time in her carry-on so i hid her on my lap under a blanket. in the last hour of the flight, i took out the blanket, wanting to see what would happen when the flight attendants saw canaille. well, they also were extremely nice, offering water etc... i was thrilled, figuring i did not need to hide her at all on the return flight. so i didn't. all was fine with all the flight attendants except for one who asked me to put my dog in her carrier. i refused. she insisted. i refused and argumented. she left, came back, asked me again and i argumented some more. she then said she would notify the pilot. i called her bluff and said 'go ahead'. frankly, i doubted she would disturb the pilot to inform him that a little lady refused to put her little white dog in her little carrier

so canaille enjoyed her flight sitting on her mommy's lap and were it not for that uptight flight attendant, no one (except my neighbor who also wanted to hold canaille) would have known there was a dog on the plane. she is the best traveller and frankly, credit to her and to all the sensitive flight attendants she has encountered. they appreciated her good behaviour and understood the cruelty of subjecting her to 7 hours imprisonment in a small bag, looking at and crying for her mommy

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 30 2004, 11:05 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-suzanne
@Nov 30 2004, 09:31 AM

That is really cool. So far I haven't had to fly with Lexi. But I hope if I ever do I get a crew like you had.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19400
[/B][/QUOTE]

how utterly adorable!

·
Banned
258 Posts
LOL nichole, exactly!
actually, i doubted very much she would embarass herself in front of the pilot by admitting she was unable to solve this little situation by herself. she was obviously the flight attendant-in-chief

hey canaille don't worry, i won't let you sit in that carry-on for the whole trip. come on, we're going parachuting

·
Registered
365 Posts
You cannot fly w/ a pet on Southwest but can on America West as well as Jet Blue (but they don't fly to alot of places), and I think most of the other airlines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The pictures are too funny...Actually Gigolo's predecessor, Geronimo, flew so much I thought that he should have FF miles!! His first flight was when he was only 14 weeks old and the vet thought it best to give him a sedative.....Although I never had a problem, that was the last time I did that!! They are better off without it!! I also never took a flight over 4 hrs.

Before 9/11, I used to sneak Geronimo on the plane and never had to pay for a ticket (after paying for a ticket the first time I noticed that no one ever checked his "ticket" and therefore once we passed through the metal detector, I put him in the case (he never made a sound) and would stay in there until we landed at our destination and I would take him out. People who would sit next to me remarked "Did you have the dog on the flight? Once a guy asked me if he could put "my bag" in the overhead!! (I have the Sherpa soft sided bag)

Not many airlines permitted pets at that time, so I mostly flew Continental and depending upon the flight attendants (some would take him out of the case if they noticed him.) there was never a problem. I also flew Jet Blue with Geronimo but that was after 9/11 , so I bought the ticket. Gigolo hasn't flown just yet but he will hopefully be as good. Thus far I have sneaked him into restaurants with no problem

I think the hardest part is the confinement and the noise of the engines..your pup will probably just need some gentle reassurance. I wouldn't feed the dog to close to the flight, nor give him too much water but be prepared with water when landed.

Have fun!
Gigolo's Mom (and Geronimo's too!)

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I always fly American with Pico because my daughter has flight perks from her job that let me fly almost free. However, I have read in the Wall Street Journal some time ago that Continental had the best pet cargo care and it surely seems as though that extends to the in cabin pet privileges, also.

I pay $40 for each leg of the flight on American. So my flight to Florida, round trip, costs $160 to take Pico AS CARRY ON LUGGAGE! I get absolutely no value for that as he has to stay in his carrier and on the floor under the seat in front of me. It is just a way for the airline to increase revenue at no cost to them.

Plus another $44 to get his health certificate (a new one each time he flies) and it runs $200 to take him with me.

That said, I have a few tips for you that work even when flying on American Airlines:

Choose your wardrobe carefully to avoid having to undress. My travel shoes have no metal in them and my travel clothes have no zippers or metal buttons or anything like that. No belt, either. This allows me to zip through security with no hassles.

Take your furbaby out of the carrier (I don't put his harness on until we are through security) and put the carrier through the scanner, holding him in your arms to walk through the detector. At this point you will be mobbed by the security people wanting to know what kind of breed you have and telling you about their darlings, and oohing and aahhing over your baby.

At the gate I put Pico on harness and leash in a remote uncrowded area so he can move around and sniff and generally be active until boarding.

When boarding, I hold his carrier high so the flight attendants can "see" who is inside. If they smile and go Ooooooh, I'm pretty sure I can take him out of the carrier for at least part of the flight. If there is no response, I'm going to have to be a bit sneaky if I want to take him out. Because I am flying Standby, Non-Rev, I have to adhere strictly and without arguing, to whatever the attendants tell me.

Funny story, on one flight I was bent over in my seat talking to Pico to reassure him until takeoff. At some point my seatmate, a young man, asked if that was my child in the seat in front of me and if I wanted him to switch seats so we could sit together. He was amazed to find I was not talking to the child in the seat in frontn of my but to my sweetie dog in the carrier on the floor!

I always ask my seatmate if they would object to my taking Pico out. I've never been refused. He usually settles down pretty quickly after getting acquainted with everyone within reach and curls up in my lap and sleeps the rest of the trip. Most times the flight attendants don't even notice him, thinking perhaps that he is a sweater on my lap or something. Other times I will partially cover him with a blanket.

You must have him in his carrier, on the floor under the seat in front of you for takeoff and landing.

On connecting flights I take him out for a pee break. It only takes about 20 minutes to go out and then back in through security again at DFW. I have found a little patch of grass on the Arrival deck where he will go. Otherwise, he won't go in the jasmine ground cover.

I use Cheerios to keep him occupied if he is very unruly, which is seldom.

I love flying with Pico and hope you and Bella have a great trip, too!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
OK i just found out sunny is coming with me to new jersy
but this means i gotta get him ready to fly and i have never taken a dog on a plane before what exactly do i need to get so he can fly? and could someone post a photo or a link of the type of carrier you use on the plane? i have one that looks like a pruse i him around town in but it dosnt like close all the way on the top and he can climb out if he wants so i didnt think it was a good one for the flight

1 - 20 of 25 Posts