Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to fly back home to visit in a few weeks. And it will be Rocco's first trip. I have checked on different carriers and still deciding which one to get. I am worried he will freak out. He does well in the car but on the plane, under the seat, in a bag may be a different story. Any suggestions with this experience??? And Carriers????

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Pupcake@Feb 2 2005, 08:32 PM
I'm getting ready to fly back home to visit in a few weeks. And it will be Rocco's first trip. I have checked on different carriers and still deciding which one to get. I am worried he will freak out. He does well in the car but on the plane, under the seat, in a bag may be a different story. Any suggestions with this experience??? And Carriers????
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33044
[/QUOTE]

You may want to try a Sturdibag carrier. I really like it for travel... It is airline approved and has supports in the top so that it won't fall in, like some do. I traveled with a Sherpa bag and it kept caving in in the middle... I didn't like it at all.

This bag has tons of air vents and is very lightweight, so it is very easy to carry. Here is the web site: http://sturdiproducts.com/

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Hi Pupcake!! I hope this helps. Peanut hated carriers at first, but after giving him enough time to get comfortable with it and to feel safe in it I've been able to fly with him and carry him around without problems. I just left the carrier completely opened on the floor for a few days and eventually he got curious about it and checked it out. I threw a couple of treats or his favorite toy in the carrier too. At first he wouldn't stay in for very long, and he would freak out if I tried to zip it up, but eventually he started sleeping in it at night and it has become a little 'den' for him to hide out in when he wants to be alone. He loves his carriers now.

I have 2 bags for flying. One is a celltei bag, and the other is similar to the sherpa bags (kinda like a duffle bag with mesh sides). I liked the celltei bag better for flying because it had better support to keep the top from falling in on the dog, and because they have 'shades' to roll down over the windows which was convienent to be able to block some of Peanut's view so he wouldn't be scared by all the people around.

On the flight you may want to throw in a shirt or something of yours that smells like you to help Rocco feel safer.
Good luck and have a safe flight with Rocco!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I empathize with you.....I was so worried before my first flight with Pico because, even though I had left the (Sherpa) carrier next to his crate for weeks and put treats in it (which he would streeeeetttcch his body in to reach since I put them way in the back), and took him on short trial runs in the car, he never took to the carrier. He never went into it on his own and on the car runs he would scratch at the mesh trying to get out. I was really concerned he was going to make a real fuss on the plane.

But, he didn't. I put him on halter and leash in the waiting area as far away from people as I could and let him wander and sniff to his heart's content. Only at boarding time did I then put him in the carrier and carry him on.

I placed him under the seat in front of me with the open end facing me. If he started to whine I dropped a couple of Cheerios in through the zipper opening. When the engines started, he quieted and slept through the trip. As soon as possible after landing, I pulled the carrier out so he could see around him and he was just fine. Be prepared to get a lot of attention throughout this trip.

TIP: When carrying Pupcake on, raise the carrier high enough for the flight attendants to see Pupcake. If they do not react, boo-hiss, but if they smile and peek in and ooh and aah, there is a good chance they may look the other way if you take him out in flight (after making sure no one in your row objects) and let him nap in your lap.

TIP: When going through Security, dress to pass through without incident by leaving off belts, jewelry, shoes with metal in them, clothing with metal on or in it, etc. I have a "flight wardrobe" just for this that lets me leave my shoes on and walk through easily.

TIP: You will have to take Pupcake (I LOVE that name!) out of his carrier and send the carrier through the scanner. You will carry Pupcake through with you so don't put his collar or halter on him when you leave the house. You can put these in a pocket on the carrier.

TIP: I have a small, thick plastic sleeve with a clip that I place his travel papers in and clip to the carrier handle. This keeps them handy and is time saving because you don't have to fumble for them. Although I have NEVER been asked for these!

Since I fly through DFW, I usually have time to take him out between flights for a quick potty. Then I feel better about the 2-3 hours ahead of him in the carrier during the next leg of my flights.

I believe Pupcake will be just fine. Many on this forum fly with our furbabies without incident.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a fashion pet carrier, sold at Petco. Inexpensive, with soft sides for more comfort (but won't collapse at the top) and fits underneath the seat perfectly.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny never actully had a proublem with his carrier but i was worried it would be differnt on a plan with all the noise and people so my vet said to give him half a regular benedrill he was totally out by the time the plan took off, he proubly would have been ok without it but it was good to know he was safly asleep not getting freaked out from being under a seat in a strange place

1 - 6 of 6 Posts