Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Delta airlines and they limit carry ons. If you bring your fluff ,you can only bring a purse. You can't bring a carry on and have your fluff counted as a personal item. sucks!
So if they loose my luggage,I have a fluff and a purse.... not good.
anyone else traveled recently,in the last month w/ their fluff and have any recommendations?
I really want to take at least one fluff w/ me to Florida to visit.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I haven't flown with a dog since last March, but I'd rather check my bags and not have to carry anything else anyway. There are no stops on my flight to Atlanta so I'm banking on my luggage making it. :unsure:...hoping anyway, LOL.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
As long as the purse and the fluff in bag would fit under the seat in front of you, that doesn't make sense? Maybe you can get a larger (but still fit under the seat) dog carrier that has a pocket on the side you could use as your purse and pack an empty purse in your carry on with your clothes to use once you land?)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'm really shocked at this. As I said, I flew Delta Feb 13th, March 3rd, and March 10th, 6 flights total with Leila. Every time I had her carrier as my 'purse' and a backpack on my back chock full of my other stuff. No one ever said a thing. If I were you, I think I'd try it and if anyone makes a fuss, you can always check your bag (although I highly doubt this will happen).

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Goodness, haven't you seen some of the purses out there today? :blink: You could probably fit 2 or 3 outfits in some of them, shoes included. LOL

Or, as the above poster said, go for a backpack style purse ... I don't think they'd say a word.

If your carrier doesn't have a lot of pockets, I'd look at getting one with lots of pockets to put even more stuff in.

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yep, I say get a HUGE purse or a backpack or tote bag. :) I remember when I was in high school I carried my purse inside my backpack every day. I would just pack a backpack with a change of clothes and your essentials and put the purse inside (that way you don't have to pack and unpack your purse things when you go from backpack to purse and back)!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Goodness, haven't you seen some of the purses out there today? :blink: You could probably fit 2 or 3 outfits in some of them, shoes included. LOL

Or, as the above poster said, go for a backpack style purse ... I don't think they'd say a word.

If your carrier doesn't have a lot of pockets, I'd look at getting one with lots of pockets to put even more stuff in.

HUGz! Jules
They also told me no back packs.... The lady I talked to asked 2 different managers. I told her that's a rip off. You charge an extra $125 ,each way for a pet but limit the amount of carry ons..so what am I getting for my extra $125? If I leave my fluff at home I can take a larger carry on,that fits in the above storage and a purse...no extra charge. If I take my fluff,which the carrier has to be smaller than the normal allowed carryon, and a purse,I get charged an extra $125 and am allowed less in carry on overall.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
how much is it to fly with the fluff? $125? is there anything else required , just wondering because if i go away of course dolce will come w me :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I fly with Mitzy they almost never even know I have her with me. The only time you really are "allowed" to take them out of the bag is through security so that's the only time anyone knows I have her, although I do like to let her out when were waiting to board and you can get away with it as long as noone says anything ;)

I took a big purse/bag with me plus Mitzy's bag. I was allowed to put my bag in the overhead compartments and Mitzy's bag under the seat. Depending on the stewardesses too sometimes they let you sit with your fluff once your in the air :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Sounds outrageous to me. What happens if you're a man? No carry-on besides the pup at all, or should they carry a purse, too?:rolleyes:
Don't you mean a "murse"? It's trending as well as "mandals" and "guyliner"! :LOL:

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds outrageous to me. What happens if you're a man? No carry-on besides the pup at all, or should they carry a purse, too?:rolleyes:
I asked that,they said a man can carry on a small lap top. You can now have internet on teh plane now. I was trying to figure out how I cna get an airline sized pet carrier w/ pockets for a Dell mini lap top and a change of clothes....

·
Registered
552 Posts
That may be the "official" line they feed you but I would bet they'll let you on the plane with two max-size carry-ons. I am not the kind to test these things out though. :) We flew last weekend (without Dora) and there were so many people with 2 medium to max-size bags. I don't think there's a hard limit on the size of your personal item.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Airlines are trying to cut costs + increase fees = terrible customer service.

I hate flying.
Isn't that the truth. Personally I believe the US Airlines are the worst in the world, like seriously bad. The stewardess are salty, full of attitude and then they charge you for everything including your luggage. It's incredible and I always dread any of the US carriers.

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's why I hate flying commercial,you're at their mercy..... That's why I got a pilot's license. I would fly down again myself, but they're down to one training airplane,so until they buy another one,they're limiting the rental to 4 hours only. I was going to fly down and stay for the week. Naples airport waives the ramp fee,$10 per day to park the plane,if I buy fuel...which I would need any way.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
6 x 13 x 17 is the personal item allowed by Air Canada. I have the same issue as we are moving to Vancouver next week. It is $50 for the flight.

I have found with regular carry-on that they are very lenient though. Some of the stuff people take on is crazy. There is a weight limit too, but if I take my camera gear you are allowed to take it all on which weighs a ridiculous amount. I said to the booking lady. If I have to pay the extra why do I have to count it as carry on, she was sympathetic of course but we laughed at the craziness of the situation.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We usually fly american. i take my wheeled carry on and dex in his bag(100 each way)- no issues. same on jetblue. i dont think ive taken him on delta

1 - 20 of 26 Posts