Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have flown a number of times before with Miko but mostly we used American or United. We are now going to Miami, Fl (to visit my parents) and then Nashville (back to school) in June and this time we are traveling on Delta. Delta only charges $50 one way to have Miko in the cabin. Isn't that cheap? I have paid $75-80 one way before. Since they don't require health certificate I am considering not getting it. Has anyone flew before and not had the health certificate? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We're flying to the east coast in 2 weeks with Beastie. We're flying JetBlue, and they are charging $50, which I found to be the cheapest rate for pets. As for the health certificate, JetBlue didn't say one was required, but when we go for a vet visit on the 24th, I will ask her for one, just in case. Not worth dealing with an unexpected problem when it's time to board.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I haven't flown my dogs, but I fly Delta all the time and there are frequently dogs in the cabin. Sometimes they yip a little. I'm sure you won't have any problems with Delta. I think they lowered their rate recently.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
we also usually fly delta/song and there are always dogs
most of the time, theyre allowed out of their bags if the surrounding people say its ok. last flight i took a woman had a maltese

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
When I flew with Sunny we got a health certificate (they said we had to have one) but no one ever looked at it. If they didnt say you need one and you know your dog is healthy I dont see why you would need to bother getting one.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I took Peanut on JetBlue and it was $50 for him. They didn't require a health cert. They may have changed their rules, because this was last year. I hope you and Miko have a great trip!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
do any of you know of a way to get a big dog in the cabin area on the plane? i can only think of "service dog" or "celebrity dog"(show dog moms and dads...chalcey was a celebrity dog).

i've called and asked if i could buy a seat...and they've said "no".

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Cathy,
I wondered about that too. What made her a celebrity dog? The TV show? I didn't really get it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@May 15 2005, 06:12 PM
Cathy,
I wondered about that too.  What made her a celebrity dog?  The TV show?  I didn't really get it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62479
[/QUOTE]

Her "vest" said companion dog. I wonder if she didn't get some dr. to say she is a service dog. I had a friend who had to do that so her mother could move into a place that didn't allow dogs. That dog was her mothers only company and she was homebound. I know she could go anywhere a service dog was allowed because the Dr. had deemed her a service dog she had no special training and really was just her pet.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+May 15 2005, 06:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-msmagnolia
@May 15 2005, 06:12 PM
Cathy,
I wondered about that too.  What made her a celebrity dog?  The TV show?  I didn't really get it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62479

Her "vest" said companion dog. I wonder if she didn't get some dr. to say she is a service dog. I had a friend who had to do that so her mother could move into a place that didn't allow dogs. That dog was her mothers only company and she was homebound. I know she could go anywhere a service dog was allowed because the Dr. had deemed her a service dog she had no special training and really was just her pet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62480
[/B][/QUOTE]

When I was going to our national specialty last year I had a Westie bag with me, and the stewardess on Southwest (no dogs allowed except service/therapy) told me I could fly with a dog in their cabin if I got one of my friends to write that it was a therapy dog.
As for the health certificate, I would call again to verify this as I would hate for you to get to the airport and be denied flight.
I have flown Northwest with mine, and I've never been asked for it, but I did have a current one available, just in case. Also, the stewardess ended up taking mine all over the airplane to show everyone. I was told to just put her in the bag on take off and landing.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what to do about the health certificate...I will probably just end up overworrying if they will ask for it. Delta does seem to frequently have dogs on the flight. I was booking the ticket online but before purchasing I decided to call them to be sure they had space available and it turns out that the flight we were going to take already had 2 dogs in economy class so I wouldn't be able to bring Miko...so glad I called first!!

I think Delta did lower fares (as well as the pet fee). Thanks for everyone's response

·
Registered
522 Posts
We recently flew Air Trans and it was $65 one way to take Izzy in cabin. She was not permitted out of her bag either trip. Grumpy ol' flight attendents.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I flew Continental with Bailey from Phoenix to Houston roundtrip. I called Continental many times and everytime they said that a health certificate is only needed if state entry laws require it. I asked where exactly they would check for a certificate, if needed, and was told that when I landed someone would ask for it.

I was a little risky by choosing to fly without one, but in neither cities was I asked to provide one. (This was in Dec 04 and Jan 05)

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i always hear that they give special treatment to first class. have any of you flown in first class (if they offer it)? and would they let you take your baby out?

i just hate that they allow babies all free....but not dogs. whats up with that? babies cry. they're annoying

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 16 2005, 04:58 PM
i always hear that they give special treatment to first class.  have any of you flown in first class (if they offer it)?  and would they let you take your baby out? 

i just hate that they allow babies all free....but not dogs.  whats up with that?  babies cry.  they're annoying
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62656
[/QUOTE]
I think Izzy and Linda flew in 1st class and that's where they told Linda to put the carrier(Izzy was inside) into the overhead compartment.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 16 2005, 01:58 PM
i always hear that they give special treatment to first class.  have any of you flown in first class (if they offer it)?   and would they let you take your baby out? 

i just hate that they allow babies all free....but not dogs.  whats up with that?   babies cry.  they're annoying
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=62656
[/QUOTE]

I've seen a dog(well behaved) sitting on some lady's lap in first class before. Even when she was having dinner her dog was just sitting there and being a good dog. However it was an international flight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts