Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is exactly what goes on in the medical/pharmaceutical industry, both in human and animal medicine regarding "independent testing/recommendations."

If one thinks that this is a report on only a few isolated cases of this type of conflict of interest, then one is mistaken. It happens often. That is one of the reasons why I am skeptical of pharmaceutical drugs/vaccines. I believe that medications/vaccines can certainly help, but I also firmly believe that they are overused and over-hyped by people who have another agenda besides looking out for a person or a dog's health. JMO.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
very interesting and I totally agree FOLLOW THE MONEY and for the love of money is the root of all evil sadly :(

dh has two cousins who are pharmaceutical reps and I do home loans and i am amazed many times as they do not have to work very hard and make ALOT of money yet dh dad could not afford to have one of his meds at $400 a month so they had to cut back on that med to live financially. I do not know but something seems wrong about that to me :( I think there is alot of money floating around in that industry and feel bad for the people who need the meds and cannot afford them like many of the elderly. Sadly this is why many go to canada and other countries to get meds

on the vaccine route there is a lady on my yorkie group whose daughter's story broke my heart and it was from being over vaccinated - I will try to find her story

Also did you see the girl on youtube from a flu vaccine but they are saying she is faking it - just curious if you thought she was faking it as seemed really real to me\

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
It's really scary that money is the driving force behind the medical treatment of both humans and pets, but I believe that in large part, it's a fact. I know that there are many reputable and dedicated doctors and nurses out there, but drug protocols are not developed by these professionals. Everyone has to be their own advocate and an advocate for their children and their pets, too.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very interesting and I totally agree FOLLOW THE MONEY and for the love of money is the root of all evil sadly :(

dh has two cousins who are pharmaceutical reps and I do home loans and i am amazed many times as they do not have to work very hard and make ALOT of money yet dh dad could not afford to have one of his meds at $400 a month so they had to cut back on that med to live financially. I do not know but something seems wrong about that to me :( I think there is alot of money floating around in that industry and feel bad for the people who need the meds and cannot afford them like many of the elderly. Sadly this is why many go to canada and other countries to get meds

on the vaccine route there is a lady on my yorkie group whose daughter's story broke my heart and it was from being over vaccinated - I will try to find her story

Also did you see the girl on youtube from a flu vaccine but they are saying she is faking it - just curious if you thought she was faking it as seemed really real to me\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7k0e3kpoxE

IMO she is not faking.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
It annoys me when I hear that people do such things for just the money!!!!!

Oh my, I am so very sorry and sad for the lady in the video :( why would she fake it:unsure:? It looks real to me! I am not sure how to feel about flue shots now. I actually don't get it in a regular yearly basis. got it in 2008 and 2009 when I was going for an important/study trip (change in weather to low temperature places can get me down/sick, so didn't want to take a chance). Now, I am not sure about this whole flue shot thing.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
When my oldest daughter had a fellowship to the NIH she found the professor for whom she was doing research was faking data---she had to expose him and thankfully she had proof and he was fired! I am certain this is not an isolated incident---money speaks loudly. So when people quote scientific data I am cautiously skeptical. In my opinion many things are biased or outright tainted.
Also, it is well known that many of the big name drug companies "wine & dine" the doctors to promote their products---where is the integrity here?
We have to also be our own best advocates---not an easy job!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
IMO she is not faking.
me neither and why i was upset when watching it on dateline and people on youtube were saying she was faking it for publicity. My thoughts were why? She is beautiful, has a great life, is a professional cheerleader - why would she fake something this horrible? I wonder if it is the drug companies way of spinning it? She has alot more videos on youtube and poor girl has tried everything and really was a sad story. I just wonder how many are out there that do not video tape themselves and put it on youtube that we do not know about :(

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
What is your take on the flu shot? I don't usually get it, but
I just had to have a mantoux test for work and the person was
trying to talk me into the flu shot. She said that it has both
H1N1 and seasonal flu components. I didn't get it, but I never know
what to do. Now after watching the youtube video... I'm even more
unsure. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
What is your take on the flu shot? I don't usually get it, but
I just had to have a mantoux test for work and the person was
trying to talk me into the flu shot. She said that it has both
H1N1 and seasonal flu components. I didn't get it, but I never know
what to do. Now after watching the youtube video... I'm even more
unsure. Any thoughts?
I never get them and they usually say only elderly and babies should get them as they have a lower immune system. I personally believe if you have a good immune system you do not get sick as much same with a dog. I would not give a dog with a poor immune system vaccinations either so it is a tough call what i would say with an elderly person or baby :(

I never knew any of this stuff and was so naive to it all until I had a sick dog then i learned alot sadly it makes it tough the more you know the more nervous you become on making certain decisions on what is best. I would say do alot of research before making the decision so you can make an educated one

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hubby and I never get flu shots and we never get the flu. My doctor friend and his wife don't get the shots either. Last year's "pandemic panic" was a nice example of how some in the industry terrify people into taking flu shots. When it was discovered that some World Heath Organization officials - the same WHO that pushed "Pandemic!" - had ties to vaccine makers, well....there you go. Follow the money.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
It is so hard to figure out what to do in these instances. From that interview there is no indication, even from the professionals that she is faking it. They name her reaction and say that is is a rare side effect. :(

When my son was vaccinated his whole arm swelled up, he was quite sick, and the doctor at the time recommended he didn't have any more. He got a letter from the doctor for the school board saying he should be exempt. Pretty scary stuff. Good heavens, there are many instances in professions where no money or gifts are allowed to be given for fear of criminal conduct. Why is this situation not one of them? money is one thing, but health is another. Makes me furious about what they are doing to our food too. :smmadder:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is the world we live in today. None of us can afford to blindly believe what we see and hear, especially from television.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I never had a flu shot and will never get one. And I am considered in the category "elderly".

About prescription drugs. The retail price of Crestor is 455.89$. The negociated price for the insurance is 345.61$. The co-pay is 126$ (this is for a 3 month supply). Now I can buy this overseas for 110$.
Another thing I don't understand. My husband is on 3 kinds of prescription drugs. They don't cost exactly the same. But his co-pay is always 126$ ??

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We don't do prescription drugs except for antibiotics when we need them. IF we acquire an illness or condition, we look at our diet first, then do research on supplements. We are rarely sick, although I have a lot of leftover "complaints" from my days of being on prescription drugs/poor diet.

The reason why we have this type of lifestyle is that we believe in a holistic approach to health. We believe in finding a cause instead of treating a symptom. We are more apt to treat problems with diet/supplements. Most folks who use conventional medicine are just coming from a different point of view than us. Everyone is free to choose the type of care they wish, and I think that there is room for both, and I am open to both, but most of the time, choose holistic over synthetic symptom maskers.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I have never obtained a flu shot and never will. I simply don't think that the true FLU is common enough to require a flu shot; most people get colds and think they have the FLU. IMOH this is why so many people think the flu is so common, because everyone they know had the 'flu' last winter when in reality it was a cold or other illness.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Well it's called health care,not health cure...for a reason...

When I worked as a nurse in a geri psych unit,I naively asked if they were close to a cure for cancer. He looked at me ,like I was some sort of idiot... He flat out told me there will never be a cure..no money in a cure. The money is in treatment and the prolonging of it!
He said look at what happened to the Polio Foundation,defunct due to a vaccine to prevent it.
I felt like I had been kicked in the gut,wondering what the heck am I doing all this for.I was cog in this vast money machine....

He was right, all the jobs in research,hospitals,Cancer Treatment Centers, anything related to health care....too many to list would be gone if there was a cure. It would end up making the cure so expensive (to replace all that lost income) that it would be available to only the select few who could afford it...

No wonder med reps could afford to give us all these freebies,gifts,all expense paid seminars at resorts and so on...

I look back now and in all those presentations I heard the words,"prolong life", "ease pain and suffering", never heard the word "cure"....

I'm a cancer survivor,am I cured? Don't know,I would guess I'm just in a rare long remission, 20 years now. Did have melanoma 3 years ago. Other than that clean so far..
My brother-in-law was in a 20 year remission for melanoma. When it did relapse it was systemic and a horribly long painful 2 year race to death...

Sorry so cynical but that's why I get irritated to hear about charity "Race for the cure" and so on... It's a race for something and sadly very well meaning good people are being duped....

Sorry ,but I flew a friend to Cancer Treatment Center of America in Chicago area,she died anyway. I was cutting a 5 hour drive down to a 45 minute flight for her. Which I did for free,no Angel Flight involved...

I thought they helped her,so I suggested it to my BIL, and they wanted $150,000 in assets proven before he could enter their program as he had no insurance.... it's a private pay facility.

Turns out all you need is a willingness to try their program and REALLY good insurance!

My BIL's girlfriend checked it out and they couldn't afford it and she wasn't willing to sign over her family farm,since they couldn't cure him,only prolong,maybe 4-6 months. He lived 2 years doing experimental and cancer studies...

Who knows what the answer is...don't even get me started on the Red Cross...:angry:

:wub:Love to all,peace be with you,hugs and healthy thoughts. Maybe that's kept me in remission for 20 years, that and following my dreams, eatting chocolate and pizza and loving on fluffs!:wub:

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts

When I worked as a nurse in a geri psych unit,I naively asked if they were close to a cure for cancer. He looked at me ,like I was some sort of idiot... He flat out told me there will never be a cure..no money in a cure. The money is in treatment and the prolonging of it!
He said look at what happened to the Polio Foundation,defunct due to a vaccine to prevent it.
I felt like I had been kicked in the gut,wondering what the heck am I doing all this for.I was cog in this vast money machine....

He was right, all the jobs in research,hospitals,Cancer Treatment Centers, anything related to health care....too many to list would be gone if there was a cure. It would end up making the cure so expensive (to replace all that lost income) that it would be available to only the select few who could afford it...

No wonder med reps could afford to give us all these freebies,gifts,all expense paid seminars at resorts and so on...

I look back now and in all those presentations I heard the words,"prolong life", "ease pain and suffering", never heard the word "cure"....

I'm a cancer survivor,am I cured? Don't know,I would guess I'm just in a rare long remission, 20 years now. Did have melanoma 3 years ago. Other than that clean so far..
My brother-in-law was in a 20 year remission for melanoma. When it did relapse it was systemic and a horribly long painful 2 year race to death...

Sorry so cynical but that's why I get irritated to hear about charity "Race for the cure" and so on... It's a race for something and sadly very well meaning good people are being duped....

Sorry ,but I flew a friend to Cancer Treatment Center of America in Chicago area,she died anyway. I was cutting a 5 hour drive down to a 45 minute flight for her. Which I did for free,no Angel Flight involved...

I thought they helped her,so I suggested it to my BIL, and they wanted $150,000 in assets proven before he could enter their program as he had no insurance.... it's a private pay facility.

Turns out all you need is a willingness to try their program and REALLY good insurance!

My BIL's girlfriend checked it out and they couldn't afford it and she wasn't willing to sign over her family farm,since they couldn't cure him,only prolong,maybe 4-6 months. He lived 2 years doing experimental and cancer studies...

Who knows what the answer is...don't even get me started on the Red Cross...:angry:

:wub:Love to all,peace be with you,hugs and healthy thoughts. Maybe that's kept me in remission for 20 years, that and following my dreams, eatting chocolate and pizza and loving on fluffs!:wub:
You are so right Michelle. There will never be a cure. There is no money in a cure. If they cannot make a profitable drug they are not going to make it even if it would help some people. A few weeks ago I read an article (should have kept the link to it) about marijuana and that there was something in it that could cure cancer. Since it would be a cure, of course they are not interested in researching this. Could also be that they know about it and are not telling.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts

Wow, Michelle, I had never thought about the cost of the cure for certain
diseases... mainly cancer. Sadly, it makes sense though... in this world most things
seem to revolve around money.... but it's really upsetting and disappointing.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Look at the money on Alzheimers,they make even more on that and it can be drag out for years...

I've noticed as the economy got worse,it seems like one trip to the doctor didn't seem to resolve any minor health issues,rashes or flu or allergies,in one visit but it seems to take more return visits...

Even your family doc is catching on to the potential of stringing illnesses out.

I'd get poison ivy,they'd give me some cream and maybe some steroids or bendryl and a week later,gone. Not now.this time they loaded me up big time on steroids,oral and cream,benadryl and antibiotics and it actually suppressed my immune system to the point of toxicity and I ended up w/ open sores from sctatching that wouldn't heal.Wore long sleeved shirts most of the summer to cover up the sores,I looked like a lepper! Used to be the family doc could patch you up and you might not have to see him again fo rmaybe a year or two...guess they cought on..eh?

I quit taking all that stuff and am doing homeopathic remedies,still itches but getting better slowly.
Makes you wonder now doesn't it? Like I said,no money in cures...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts