Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi girls,:smhelp:

I am at a loss right now has anyone had a food allergy test done via blood not the skin test done to their Malt.

I just need some type of feedback if it worked or it didnt since Max is such a picky eater I have already changed the food once and now have to transition again to Hills Diet Z/D which he turns his nose up at as told to me by my vet. He says be persistant with him he does not realize he will just not eat. Then he will throw up bile if I don't feed him. Any suggestions will be so much appreciated. :ThankYou:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
What food have you tried other than the Hills?

You say that you've only changed foods once, but I think usually it takes a couple of times to find a brand (at least in my experience it has) that they'll eat and that is good for them.

Sometimes the shop or supplier will give you sample bags to try so you don't have to buy a new entire bag.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
We had a gal on our pet diabetes board whose little doxie was having terrible problems with allergies...which in turn was having impact on his diabetes regulation. She had the RAST ( think that's the right thing) done and she found the chicken which she thought she was doing good by feeding ( home cooking) was a high allergen. other things came up as well and each was described as to severity ( highly allergic to mild reaction) . I believe test cost about $175 where she lives. ( AZ?)

Once results came in she adjusted diet to eliminate the 'culprits" and there was a marked improvement in his condition. She did say ( and some others commented as well, that some vets don't feel these are accurate enough, but others such as her particular vet felt in regard to food the test was very helpful. In addition to the chicken some grains were high on the allergen list as well.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
the best test for allergies is varl, heska (?), greer - our derm uses varl but these are for environmental. The only true food allergy test is food elimination diet.

Can you home cook?

My dog itched like crazy on ultra z/d but it works for some and my dog that itched like crazy did not have allergies as it was used for pancreatitis issue.

Have you tried foods like natural balance fish and sweet potato, venison and sweet potato or duck and potato as those are all pretty limited and the only concern would be flaxseed in them as some allergy dogs are allergic to flaxseed.

I have done two allergy testing tests one with full spectrum lab and one with biomedical and this was before going to dermatologist.

The biggest allergents are chicken and beef.

Sorry you are going through this as allergies are very frustrating as have been dealing with them for 6 years now :(

I will link info i wrote on allergies if i can find it

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Saw this article about allergy testing:
Allergy Testing & Immunotherapy in Dogs
I don't know about pet food allergy tests, but know a lot about people food allergy (I produce videos on them) and the RAST test is just one indicator of allergies. For people you take a history, skin tests and RAST test to get the best picture. You can get false negatives on a RAST so you really need to combine all to figure it out. You could try an elimination diet by prepping or buying some food without the main food you think is the allergen and see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your feedback, I am going to go to another vet (holistic) next week and homecook and see what supplements I need to give. Since he hates the food and the vet I have now knows nothing about home cooking so any advice on the home cooking would be great. Big hug thanks for the feedback again, it gives me a little hope.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
The blood test for food allergens is not terribly accurate. I had it done on my IBD dog and it was absolutely WRONG. Waste of money. A TRUE home-made elimination diet (one carb, one protein) is the only proper way to address this. Your dog also needs to have a bile acid test to rule out concurrent liver disease.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I actually just got the results back today for my little girl. She was having a ton of problems including kidney problems. The test came back that is allergic to almost everything. It was a great thing that we did and we can't be happier to finally know what she is allergic to and try to avoid them. We used spectrum labs from our vet. Any questions i would be happy to answer them/.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback, I am going to go to another vet (holistic) next week and homecook and see what supplements I need to give. Since he hates the food and the vet I have now knows nothing about home cooking so any advice on the home cooking would be great. Big hug thanks for the feedback again, it gives me a little hope.
we did food elimination diet with dermatologist and since i had used too many proteins we did pinto beans and white potato for 12 weeks and her itching was a little less but not totally gone. Food allergy is maybe 10% of all allergies. 90% of the time it is environmental but a limited ingredient food does help with a dog with allergies

They will have you do one novel protein never fed and one novel carb never fed - just avoid chicken or beef. Things like lamb, venison, goat, pinto beans, turkey, cod, tilapia. Carb - sweet potato, white potato

you do this for 12 weeks straight. you can use a baby multi vitamin but i chose not to as 12 weeks I did not feel would hurt them to be really strict. After 12 weeks you start adding back one thing at a time for a two week period to see if any reaction. If reaction you write down and eliminate it

I have the info from derm and can fax as it lists all the proteins and carbs you can use- just pm and i will fax to you

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
The blood test for food allergens is not terribly accurate. I had it done on my IBD dog and it was absolutely WRONG. Waste of money. A TRUE home-made elimination diet (one carb, one protein) is the only proper way to address this. Your dog also needs to have a bile acid test to rule out concurrent liver disease.
Totally agree :( it is a waste for food alone but for environmental allergies it can be good but ONLY if you are going to do hyposensitization shots otherwise a waste as well - I was out $400 for each one we did and honestly they did not help at all and I would have to do again if doing hyposensitization shots as derm does not deem the two the vet ordered reliable :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I actually just got the results back today for my little girl. She was having a ton of problems including kidney problems. The test came back that is allergic to almost everything. It was a great thing that we did and we can't be happier to finally know what she is allergic to and try to avoid them. We used spectrum labs from our vet. Any questions i would be happy to answer them/.
we used full spectrum lab too :( derm says not reliable :( best ones are heska, greer and varl for allergy testing but only for environmental

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Caira just had the skin testing done yesterday and came back allergic to grasses and molds. She starts the hyposensitization therapy next week.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
let me know how it goes stacy as that is the one thing i have not done with my Dee Dee as some told me it could make them worse but sorry I did not try it 6 years ago :(

I know it takes up to a year so please keep us posted if she gets less itchy after shots

did they have to do both sides of her as derm told me she does not like to do skin testing in toy breeds bc they have to shave both sides and much harder on them :( Plus she said with dd it would be torture to take her off steroids for 6 weeks :( to do skin testing

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
let me know how it goes stacy as that is the one thing i have not done with my Dee Dee as some told me it could make them worse but sorry I did not try it 6 years ago :(

I know it takes up to a year so please keep us posted if she gets less itchy after shots

did they have to do both sides of her as derm told me she does not like to do skin testing in toy breeds bc they have to shave both sides and much harder on them :( Plus she said with dd it would be torture to take her off steroids for 6 weeks :( to do skin testing
Honestly, I dont' know what is up with Caira. Now it's only her eyes that are itching but I'm beginning to think it's mental with her. The second I take the cone of, she is digging at her eyes. Put the cone back on and she is fine. Her skin isn't itching anymore and she's not doing any more licking/scratching than normal. No chewing the paws, etc.

Only one side was shaved. Caira's a bigger girl at 7.3 lbs so don't know if that has something to do with only shaving one side. I don't even know if she was tested for food allergies, it wasn't mentioned in the results, just allergic to certain molds and grasses. I've already been dealing with Caira in a cone for well over 6-8 mos now - I can handle the taking a year to improve. I just want to be able to get the cone off of her eventually! I did a 3 mos trial of potato and rabbit and the derm said it wasn't a food allergy because there wasn't a complete improvement so she is now on NB sweet potato and fish, per the dermatologist recommendation.

It's a long frustrating battle, that is for sure!!

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
wow so sorry stacy that is not fun - dd was in a cone for a little while after i used natural balance fish and sweet potato and natural balance venison and sweet potato - she was rubbing her face and eyes real bad. I took her off and she has been fine ever since and no cone. I think it was the flaxseed in it.

have you tried home cooking a limited ingredient diet as that might help as alot of times the bag food can have dust mites in it too - just a thought to completely rule out food allergy

again so sorry as allergies are so frustrating :( I hope you figure it out soon

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
stacy have you taken her to an opthamologist to have her eyes thoroughly examined to make sure nothing going on there?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
My regular vet has stained her eyes and done a thorough exam - but she hasn't been to a ophthamologist. I'll talk to my vet about that!
you might want to do that as maybe she has something going on there if no other itching, licking, biting going on. The opthomologist has some better equipment to see things more thoroughly. Would not hurt as maybe she has ingrown eye lash or something like that - just a thought

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/entropion-in-dogs/page1.aspx

this is what made me think maybe eye lash issues

1 - 20 of 23 Posts