Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I weighted Puddles and he's up to 8/12 to 10 lbs. He was 3 lbs at 4 months.
Can't get him to stand still..
He was fixed 3 months ago and now I have noticed he's gotten heavier.

He's on Canidae dry food and I allow him to eat when he wants to...is that bad? He's not really a big eater, just a bite here and there but I know it can add up.

Now that he will be 1 in March, I thought about limiting his food.
Any suggestions on a cup size that's needed for a healthy diet?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Puddles Mom@Feb 27 2005, 10:10 AM
I weighted Puddles and he's up to 8/12 to 10 lbs.  He was 3 lbs at 4 months.
Can't get him to stand still.. 
  He was fixed 3 months ago and now I have noticed he's gotten heavier.

He's on Canidae dry food and I allow him to eat when he wants to...is that bad? He's not really a big eater, just a bite here and there but I know it can add up.

Now that he will be 1 in March, I thought about limiting his food.
Any suggestions on a cup size that's needed for a healthy diet?

Thanks   

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38111
[/QUOTE]

When you put your hands on his ribs, do you feel a layer of fat there?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut has always been on the small side, but my friend has a yorkie who is a little piggy, and her vet said that toy breeds should be taken off of puppy food, and puppy feeding schedules around 10 months. I also read that somewhere too. I think it was saying that most toy/small breeds stop growing around 10 months while 'bigger' dogs can continue to grow for up to 2 years.

Check to see if you feel a fat layer like K/C's mom said, and as for the amount of food, I just follow the bag's guidelines and adjust it as needed. Peanut is always running and playing, and because of that I give him a little extra.

I would say that if you measure the right amount for Puddles, letting him pick throughout the day isn't a problem. Just remember that feeding a premium food like Canidae requires a smaller serving size. There is so much nutrition packed into a small amount. I hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey too was putting on weight...hubby was feeding her alot of people food without me knowing about it. She just turned 1 and she weighs 8.2 pounds...down from a little of over 9 pounds. Lacey only eats dry kibble now...1 cup a day. I put it out in the morning and she picks on it all day. I have noticed that she eats the most at 4 am...strange and silly little dog.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Feeling his ribs, ya, a little fat there.

I to think someone in this house is feeding him human food (hubby).

I'm going to empty his food bowl with only a cup left and see how long it last.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny was getting pretty round from just eating his food, i was just giving him to much. He lost the weight when he had his cone though becuase it was hard for him to eat with it on so he didnt bother.....proubly not that best diet but i can only hand feed him so many times a day lol

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I feed mine twice a day half a cup of food each time (1 cup total per day). Cloud's still gaining weight but not getting bigger. He's been taking Noriko's food.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I feed tyler one layer of kibble in the food bowl. It's not that much, but he doesn't eat much either. If your dog likes to eat alot, give it little amounts at different times of the day so your dog can digest easily.

·
Registered
994 Posts
hmm maxi goes through a can of dog food pedigree lamb and rice i say that lasts 3 meals plus i give him roasted chicken on top he never finishes the bowl and i end up throwing most of the food away , i also leave out a bowl of kibbles so he always has something to eat he goes through splurts sometimes he is really hungry and other times he doesnt eat..he weighs between 9lbs-9.6oz he varies
my vet said he is just right because he is kind of long i think if he weighed any less he would look like a string bean

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I dont have good advice about how much to feed because kodie is a picky eater... he eats when hes ready... one day more than others... he doesnt gain weigh either...

I only suggest to ask your vet about weight if you think your baby is gettin fat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts