Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new little boy is 16 almost 17 weeks old. He eats, but not that much. I've been giving him water with syrup kixed in for hypoglycemia and he drinks that some. He has been eating a little dog food(Eukanuba and Science Diet mixed) with cottage cheese. How much is he supposed to be eating now? He seems to only want food or water if you show it to him or point at it.

I love him to death!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I used to have this problem with Lexi. The vet suggested feeding her in her crate. I don't have any problems with her now. She gets feed twice a day (6:45 AM and 5:30 PM), but has access to water all day. I place her food in her crate and when we started I would have to put her in the crate, but she now runs into it. I leave the room or in the morning go back to sleep. Then in 20-30 minutes I take her out of the crate and put the food up. Same at night. Lexi eats anywhere from 6-8 tbsp of food. So this is the amount I put in the dish in the morning. I give her the whatever is left at night. When I first started doing this she would have a fit because she was used to me sitting on the floor with her. But when I was in the room with her all she wanted to do it play. This works SO much better. Oh, and if she seems hungry between meals she gets a snack/treat, but I try to limit these.

Plus when we visit my parents I don't have to worry about their dog eating Lexi's food. Last time we visited she ate all of Lexi's food and I had to go to the store to by a new bag!

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 6 months old used to eat a whole 1/2 cups of food in a day. The last 3 days I've given her the acostumed amount, but she will only eat about 2/3 of what I serve her. Is it normal that they need less food than when young puppies?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yes. Just like children their appetite will change due to growth spurts, change in activity level, heat, etc... If she stops eating completely or you see other signs that concern you call your vet. Tiki will often go a day or two with out eating much at all and then he will chow down his meal and look for more.

Judi

1 - 10 of 10 Posts