Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, if you are looking for a food pre-mix similar to Dr. Harvey's and Honest Kitchen Preference, Grandma Lucy's now has one which they claim meets AAFCO guidelines if that is something you are concerned about. The pre-mix contains veggies/vitamins/minerals, and the only thing you have to add is your own cooked or raw protein. I have not tried this pre-mix, and I have no opinion on it. I am just passing along the info to you.

Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain-Free Freeze Dried Pre-Mix Dog Food

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
One of the reviews...

Pros: Good for finicky eater, easy to prepare
Cons: Not enough meat for the amount of veggie mix.

lol I wonder if they knew that THEY were in control of the meat...

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I just ordered samples of Gradma Lucy's and Honest Kitchen. And I have a bag of Dr. Harvey's. I also ordered coconut oil.

LOL, this is taking me so long to get this started...:HistericalSmiley:....it's funny.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
thanks Suzan!!!
edit to add: im DYING to switch Gemma's food....u know how i feel about feeding her the old food..blah!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
One of the reviews...

Pros: Good for finicky eater, easy to prepare
Cons: Not enough meat for the amount of veggie mix.

lol I wonder if they knew that THEY were in control of the meat...

I just ordered samples, they carry both pre-mix (you add the meat)

and a complete freeze dried food with meat already in it.

I ordered one of each.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using a pre-mix with a protein such as ground dark turkey, bison, or fresh wild salmon is pretty easy and fast. Takes about 10 minutes to brown the turkey/bison, or cook the salmon, then add to the pre-mix. You can make a few day's worth of food if you want. Just place it into serving-sized containers and refrigerate.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I think I will check around and see if I can get any of those here. We have loads of doggy health food style stores, maybe they will. :) Seem to carry a lot of raw here.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bailey loves the Grandma's Kitchen Artesian blend. I just mix it up and add one freeze dried patty of Stella and Chewy's. I was feeding Nature's Variety raw medallions but he seemed to be getting bored with those. I'm still not certain I am feeding him correctly but he now gets excited when he knows dinner is on it's way!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Check this out! My local pet supply store has a chart so you can "grade" your dog's food! I'm so impressed cuz it's such a backward lil area, :smilie_tischkante: surprising we even have natural foods here.....

Anyway, use this link and scroll down to get the chart.:thumbsup:
Since that website sells the products they review, I suspect they are a little biased. B)

Try this one. It provides an independent analysis of the major dog food brands:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

·
Premium Member
2,673 Posts
Thank you Susan for always passing on all the info you get it is most helpful to me and I'm sure many others..Kathy xo

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since that website sells the products they review, I suspect they are a little biased. B)

Try this one. It provides an independent analysis of the major dog food brands:

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
Oh you should have looked at it. That link isn't a review; it's a chart you use yourself to "grade" your dogs food.That's why I liked it...I won't go into it in detail just click the link if you're someone looking to understand how to grade it yourself. :thumbsup: I haven't actually visited the store in person yet, as their hours are nearly the same as mine. So I don't have a, ahem, dog in this race.

I have written for A Major Pet Food Company so things like that are very interesting to me (doing your own research). Maybe not to the non-nerds--the normal folks-- on the forum.:huh:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts