Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has your malt ever snatched something from you? Last night I was eating some chicken wings and he snatched it! I took it away from him of course but it was hard because he was growling and his jaws were locked! :new_Eyecrazy: Has this ever happened to you?

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
No Scooby has never done that, but I do see the tempted look on his face if I am eating within reach, like on the recliner chair if he is there with me. Normally he just sits there and stares to make me feel guilty enough to offer a morsel. :lol:
The only thing I would suggest if your puppy is inclined to do that is to make sure you are eating in a place where your food is out of reach.

I have to say though that is a rather funny image to picture in my mind, like snatch and run

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Whoa..... it sounds like Tyler has some alpha issues. Catcher is alpha to Kallie and he takes things from her all the time. Tyler must consider himself alpha to you. There are a lot of issues going on other than just this one piece of chicken, especially since he growled and would not let you have it back..... You need to establish yourself as alpha.

Lexi's Mom went through the Nothing in Life is Free program with Lexi and perhaps she can share some of the main points here with you .....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
teach "leave it". like i can leave my plate of food on the ground, tell all the dogs to leave it, and they wont touch it if i leave the room.

when we were babysitting jongee...i put my plate of chicken legs on the coffee table, left to get myself a drink, came back----and JONGEE had a chicken leg and was taking off the little pieces of chicken left---and all three of my dogs were standing and STARING at her. LOL. they had that expression like "Oh my god...i cant believe she got away with it". LOL.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Peanut does stuff like that to Tic all the time. I taught both of them 'leave it' because they used to pick up every leaf or twig or piece of trash we walked by, but it really helps with this too. The 'nothing is free' training is GREAT!! I did that with a clicker. I really love clicker training because once the dog learns what the click means it makes training soooo much easier.

Dr.Cathy, I can totally see the group of dogs all around Jongee

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Aug 21 2005, 05:04 PM
Whoa..... it sounds like Tyler has some alpha issues. Catcher is alpha to Kallie and he takes things from her all the time. Tyler must consider himself alpha to you. There are a lot of issues going on other than just this one piece of chicken, especially since he growled and would not let you have it back.....  You need to establish yourself as alpha.

Lexi's Mom went through the Nothing in Life is Free program with Lexi and perhaps she can share some of the main points here with you .....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92833
[/QUOTE]
I had to do the Nothin in life is free program with Lexi earlier this year. Basically she had to work for everything (food, getting on the couch, playing, going outside, etc.). I would make her do sits, downs, etc. for everything. It really helped to remind her that I was the one in charge not her. If you do a search on here or on google you should be able to find some links to sites that have info on the program. I have a good site save

Another thing I would recommend is teaching Tyler "leave it", "drop it", and "trade". Those will commands will help in situations like this.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Aug 21 2005, 05:13 PM
when we were babysitting jongee...i put my plate of chicken legs on the coffee table, left to get myself a drink, came back----and JONGEE had a chicken leg and was taking off the little pieces of chicken left---and all three of my dogs were standing and STARING at her.  LOL.  they had that expression like "Oh my god...i cant believe she got away with it".  LOL.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92835
[/QUOTE]

omg... hahahah.

i honestly laughed at that.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
tyler's sis...

that's weird that tyler was acting so weird about it. hopefully the alpha stuff works.

i can tell lucy would be snatching everything from me if she thought she could get away with it. she stares longingly at me when im eating though.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Chester did this once but he did not growl at me because I just let him have it.
What happened was I was working from home one day and decided to get poppies chicken. Well I was really hungry but also extremely busy working. So I brought the chicken downstairs and Chester was there watching TV while I worked. I was typing like crazy and the chicken was on a cushion not to hi up... Chester came sneaking over and took on the chicken out of the box and started walking away with it ever so slowly. I looked up and saw Chester with my chicken...walking backwards to his bed. I was in such sock... I just said Chester! He never did that before. Well I let him have it as he already started eating it. Serve my right, for taking so long to eat anyway. My husband laughed his head off when I told him.

Chester only growled at me once for taking his food from him this was when we first brought him home. I gave him a bowl of food and then was trying to adjust it for him and he growled at me... I growled back at him... he never did that to me again. He is four now. Chelsey has never snatched food from me yet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts