Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
41 - 60 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
from puppy to adult food

My Ava is 7 months old, when do I need to switch her to adult food and what is a good one to start her on?

·
Registered
943 Posts
am I the only one who use canine caviar?
My eat canine caviar Grain-Free Puppy Dinner for dinner
Crude Protein 31.0% min.
Crude Fat 19.0% min.
Chicken & Pearl Millet ALS Adult-breakfast
Crude Protein 27.0% min.
Crude Fat 16.0% min.
In between:
CET dental chews, Stella and Chew's raw frozen dried treats, poly-o mozzarella cheese, baby carrot
Another question, talking to many pet owners who has own pet food stores , they recommend me this food :
orijen it is pretty expensive compare to other brands but protein is way high
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS OF ORIJEN PUPPY FOOD
Protein 42.0% (47% DM), Fat 20.0% (22% DM), Carbohydrate 18.0% (20% DM), Moisture 10.0% (90% DM), Fiber 2.5% (3% DM)
for adults
Guaranteed Analysis:
Protein 38.0% (42% DM), Fat 18.0% (20% DM), Carbohydrate 25.0%max (28% DM), Moisture 10.0% (90% DM), Fiber 3.0% (3.5% DM)

·
Registered
52 Posts
NOTE TO SELF: Don't buy large quantities of new and expensive food until...

NOTE TO SELF: Don't buy large quantities of new and expensive food until I've established she likes it. :huh:

Besides, it's raw and I just read a posted warning not to give dogs raw food because of bacteria...will go find article if i can and re-post here.

Hope she liked it better when I cook it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/60-...640-people-food-not-feed-our-malts-aspca.html

·
Super Moderator
10,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
NOTE TO SELF: Don't buy large quantities of new and expensive food until I've established she likes it. :huh:

Besides, it's raw and I just read a posted warning not to give dogs raw food because of bacteria...will go find article if i can and re-post here.

Hope she liked it better when I cook it!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/60-...640-people-food-not-feed-our-malts-aspca.html

This article is referring primarily to people food we buy and warning not to serve raw steak, for example. In general, commercially prepared raw dog food that is frozen or is dehydrated is safe. Of course, you can always have a recall but we've seen far more of those with kibble and canned lately than freeze dried or dehydrated raw.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just recently switched my pups to Taste of the Wild, the one with salmon and they don't seem to like it at all. The kibbles are kind of big for small breed dogs. I had read good reviews about this food and I am disappointed that they don't like it. I suppose I will have to start researching dog foods again and find one with small kibbles that they will like and will eat.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I enjoy rotating food for the malts.

In the recent period, we're on Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw (previously, they were on ZiwiPeak - air dried raw - which they ate well). The malts LOVE S&C so far (more than loving the Ziwipeak). They've tried all flavors. I rotate them from a flavor to another. Each malt gets 1/2 a patty a day that gets soaked in warm water for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Snowy and Crystal are around 8.8 lb. They are doing good with S&C. By this coming Friday, we are finishing the last bag. I placed an order for a bunch of different flavors a couple days ago. I also placed an order for a couple other brands - Primal freeze dried, Addiction dehydrated raw and the honest kitchen dehydrated dogfood

We're continuing the rotation idea and I love this thread ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This article is referring primarily to people food we buy and warning not to serve raw steak, for example. In general, commercially prepared raw dog food that is frozen or is dehydrated is safe. Of course, you can always have a recall but we've seen far more of those with kibble and canned lately than freeze dried or dehydrated raw.
There is NO difference in "people" raw and "pet" raw. I estimated a couple premade brands and it would cost about $100 a month to feed a 6 and 14 pound dog! :eek: I just bought a month worth of food (Maybe a couple days over) at the grocery store to feed BOTH dogs for a whopping $18 for everything. Sure, premade is a little more convenient but the price difference is worth an hour in the kitchen each month to mix and package their food. The whole "raw is bad" argument doesn't stand up to proof of it's benefits shown through my dogs health. One of which can't eat ANYTHING except raw muscle meats/eggs/organs (offal)/bones. Most premade raw also has crap like fruits and veggies in it that she doesn't need, nor can she have. Carnivore style "Frankenraw" from the grocery store all the way! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
There is NO difference in "people" raw and "pet" raw. I estimated a couple premade brands and it would cost about $100 a month to feed a 6 and 14 pound dog! :eek: I just bought a month worth of food (Maybe a couple days over) at the grocery store to feed BOTH dogs for a whopping $18 for everything. Sure, premade is a little more convenient but the price difference is worth an hour in the kitchen each month to mix and package their food. The whole "raw is bad" argument doesn't stand up to proof of it's benefits shown through my dogs health. One of which can't eat ANYTHING except raw muscle meats/eggs/organs (offal)/bones. Most premade raw also has crap like fruits and veggies in it that she doesn't need, nor can she have. Carnivore style "Frankenraw" from the grocery store all the way! :thumbsup:

If you are feeding a home-made diet, be sure to consult a nutritionist to make sure it contains adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals. For example, you may need to add a source of calcium or other minerals to ensure the diet is balanced. Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it means all of their nutritional needs. I've never tried it but several members here use Balance IT to make sure their home prepare meals are nutritionally complete.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been feeding raw for many years now, to roughly 7 dogs ranging from 4lb to 90lb, couch potato pets to working dogs. I've also fed 4 cats on raw. I balance nutrition by feeding a large variety of animals and body parts. Muscle meats, bones, feet, hearts, kidneys, liver, spleen, tripe (stomach), lungs, whole small animals (ie. chicks, mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, ect ect) whole heads from large animals including brains and eyeballs....Even testicles. :HistericalSmiley: Nothing is off limits in our house. We always get rave reviews from every vet my pets have seen about their excellent health (Backed up with great blood work results!), especially their beautiful teeth and muscular bodies! My aim for my babies is balance over times rather than "every meal", just as I do for myself and my family. I don't claim to know everything about nutrition but I do know what works for the pets in my home. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I've been feeding raw for many years now, to roughly 7 dogs ranging from 4lb to 90lb, couch potato pets to working dogs. I've also fed 4 cats on raw. I balance nutrition by feeding a large variety of animals and body parts. Muscle meats, bones, feet, hearts, kidneys, liver, spleen, tripe (stomach), lungs, whole small animals (ie. chicks, mice, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, ect ect) whole heads from large animals including brains and eyeballs....Even testicles. :HistericalSmiley: Nothing is off limits in our house. We always get rave reviews from every vet my pets have seen about their excellent health (Backed up with great blood work results!), especially their beautiful teeth and muscular bodies! My aim for my babies is balance over times rather than "every meal", just as I do for myself and my family. I don't claim to know everything about nutrition but I do know what works for the pets in my home. :thumbsup:
I'm glad this has worked for you. In your introduction you said you do not own a Maltese but are living with one temporarily. Please read these threads on nutrition as many health problems can be caused by poor nutrition. For example, continued feeding of meat and rice with no supplements has been suspected to cause disc and spine problems in later years unless you are adding the appropriate amounts of calcium.

This thread is meant to provide a "diary" of the various brands and types of foods we feed, so please start a new thread for your additional comments so we don't take this thread off-track.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I home cook for my girls. I feed 2 protein to one veg/fruit mix. The veg. mainly none starchy. It works out to be around 38% protein but that is wet matter. I add eggshell calcium, omega 3, and probiotics/digestive enzymes. The proteins and veg are rotated and all organic. Beef is grass fed.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Wolfie and his miniature poodle sister have been eating

Purina One Lamb & Rice

for four years now (Wolfie is six).

Previous to that, he ate various quality kibbles.....each either undigestible to him or recalled after I discovered it seemed okay to him.

A friend used Purina One Lamb & Rice for her gorgeous dog and I gave it a try.

Wolfie's breeder (Richelieu) is sponsored by Purina and had suggested Purina Pro when we brought him home in 2007.

So.

Wolfie does fine on what I feed him. His poop is nice. His coat is nice. He seems content.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Feeding Bailey

I am SO happy to have this forum as a resource since I'm a new Malt-Mommy to my boy Bailey (I have to figure out how to post a pic of His Cuteness!).

Anyway.... we've been feeding him Kirkland Dry Dog Food (only) since he came to us in early November. I just assumed with the beard staining, he would be better off with dry food. He eats it, but I've been thinking that, while small, the pieces are just too big for him. He was eating one piece at a time and would never finish a 1/4 cup in one "sitting"... he'd go back to it later in the day or evening depending on which feeding it was.

Although Bailey seems to otherwise be doing well on this food (has 26% protein) I came here yesterday to see what you all are feeding your babies hoping to be able to figure out what I might be able to switch Bailey to. Then I read Maizy Moo's Mum's post that suggested mixing a little warm water with the kibble. I did that last night! What a happy Bailey I have!!! He ate all of his food and FAST! :chili: His face is a little dirty after eating now, but I'm so happy he had a better eating experience!

So now... what's the best way to clean their faces from food? I just wiped him last night & this morning with a microfiber cloth and warm water... but it didn't seem to get him very clean. Any tips??

Thank you Maizy Moo's Mum & all the other Malti-Parents!!! :ThankYou:
Cathy & Bailey

I have been feeding Fromm four star grain free and rotating the flavours but have just ordered some grain inclusive to try.

I have began adding water to this as we do not feed a wet food thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
181 Posts
We are feeding Gus a combination of Fromm four star grain-free and Stella and Chewy's dehydrated raw. He gets 1/8 c Fromm + 1/2 S&C patty reconstituted with water per feeding twice a day. We rotate flavors for both food and sometimes top everything with fresh veggies. He's been loving this diet so far. :)

We noticed since adding Stella and Chewy's that he poops less, has drastically reduced tear-stains, and has lessened the itchies and paw biting. We are very pleased with what we're seeing so far. We just hope this finicky fluff butt doesn't get tired of the food! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its very hard lately to find a dry food that Bella likes. I bought the Instinct Raw but it didnt look like much of a serving so i mixed a little dry food with it. Have any of you tried this brand? Theres so many to chose from. Its like ill buy a bag of something and Bella will eat it for a day or two and then not like it anymore. Its so frustrating.

41 - 60 of 121 Posts