Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wanted to add my experience on this topic, our princess from day 1 has been eating Wellness Core Puppy grain free, as she grows 3-4 months we introduced steam rice and wellness mini fillets or pate with the the kibble. She loves it and never gets tired of it. Sometimes we even top it off with a little boiled chicken breast. Everything seems to be great. I tried the Ceasar Plates (pate) and noticed the tear staining was worse. Now we switch from Wellness and Nutro (pate) depending on whats on sale, but always with Wellness Core Puppy Grain Free. I'm thinking of switching to FROMM GOLD puppy because it has probiotics, and I have read so many great things about fromm. Its just harder to find unless I order online.

Did anyone experience on the switching from Wellness to FROMM and how did it go?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My three were on Wellness from day 1 as well, I switched to Fromm's due to all the great recommendations here and they liked it. That being said, I noticed my oldest started to have tear stains again and he had not had them since he finished teething. After several months I've recently switched back to Wellness and its clearing up. My other two were fine on the Fromm's no issues at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My three were on Wellness from day 1 as well, I switched to Fromm's due to all the great recommendations here and they liked it. That being said, I noticed my oldest started to have tear stains again and he had not had them since he finished teething. After several months I've recently switched back to Wellness and its clearing up. My other two were fine on the Fromm's no issues at all.
So does that mean you feed both Wellness for 1 and FROMM for the other 2?

whew.. good thing I only have 1 (at the moment) wink wink..

Heard of that saying if it ain't broke don't fix it? well that's what I'm feeling right now.. It just seems like FROMM is such a good kibble for them and I wanted to try it. So the VET asked what studies did FROMM have for them to formulate such great foods if any.. She was kind of skeptical.. but she also mentioned that.. if all was good news it shouldn't hurt to try.. and you can always go back if 1, it gets too $$$ and 2, if no changes or our puppy might not like it.. which i highly doubt due to the things that I have read about our fluffs and FROMM, plus FROMM has pro-biotics.

decisions.. decisions.. :smilie_tischkante:

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
So does that mean you feed both Wellness for 1 and FROMM for the other 2?

So the VET asked what studies did FROMM have for them to formulate such great foods if any.. She was kind of skeptical.. but she also mentioned that.. if all was good news it shouldn't hurt to try..
Traditional vets don't have a lot of education around nutrition - only what Purina, Hills and Royal Canin pay for at vet schools, and those aren't the best foods. I'd suggest getting a copy of Whole Dog Journal's issue with their recommended dog foods. There's a separate issue for dry and for wet. It explains what they look for in a quality food, things like named protein as one of the first ingredients. You might need a subscription but I've found it to be well worth it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Jay - sorry for the confusion - no all three are back on Wellness - I have a hard enough time trying to keep them from eating out of each other's bowls - two different foods would be chaos! I have to watch the portions - Lou is a very picky eater, nola eats to live and Dallas lives to eat! I transition very slowly to avoid tummy issues.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm loving this pet guide app. Keeps me connected to this forum and learning a lot and also confused as to what is best for my fluff. Because we all want the best for them.. Hehe

I'm going to try FROMM Puppy Gold and see how that goes 5lbs only for now and then see from there..

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Who sells Fromm?
You can find Fromm at most stores that sell high quality dog foods - doggy boutiques and specialty stores. PetSmart does not sell it and some of the Pet Supplies + do carry it depending on where you are located. You can also order it online I believe.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Pixie is thriving on Fromm's Grain Free Gamebird. I love that it is small kibble and 4.5 stars. She saw the vet last week and he said her weight is perfect for her structure.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After over a year on fromm grain free, my Rocco has started itching again. We visited the vet on Tuesday and of course they suggested Hill's Science Diet and a steroid, and once again I told them I would explore other options. When he was a baby, I fed him Life's Abundance and after a few months he started itching severely and lost the hair on his legs. After switching to Fromm, his coat is near perfect, but now that the itching is back, I think it may be time for a change again. The pet food store I go to suggested a brand called Ziganture, does anyone have experience with this brand or another limited ingredient food?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Are you certain that it's a food sensitivity and not environmental? Penny has been sneezing a lot this spring. No excessive itching yet, thankfully. I hope he finds some relief soon. :(

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you certain that it's a food sensitivity and not environmental? Penny has been sneezing a lot this spring. No excessive itching yet, thankfully. I hope he finds some relief soon. :(
He has both, however I have heard that sometimes dogs build an intolerance to food after a while and it's good to change when that happens.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I've heard that Zygnature is a quality food but have not used it. I would suggest finding a holistic or integrative vet who could work with your traditional vet on a treatment plan involving holistic or homeopathic supplements that are bett for our fluffs. The holistic vet would also be a great resource for food recommendations.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Tyler and Trissie eat Vital Beef and Bison roll and Trissie also gets Fromm Lamb and Lentil. For training treats I use Real Meat Lamb, Real Meat Beef and Plato Small Bites Made with Duck. For treats: Grandma Lucy's Blueberry cookies and Fruitables (variety of flavors).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Sophie eats a table spoon of Wellness, brown rice, shredded carrots, shredded boiled chicken, a 2 teaspoons of water mixed in.
For treats, carrots, lettuce leaves, cucumber, apple slices. On the most rare occasions, she'll get a tiny piece of Wellness treats (pomegranate flavor).

Since I've had her, she's gained 2lbs...I'm trying to get her to loose at least 1lb.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
After spending hours making batches of home cooked food for Tucker and having him refuse it I have everyone on kibble right now. We are using Wellness - Complete Health line. I want to add canned in the mix as well but it is not in the finances at this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Casper currently eats blue buffalo grain free. I was thinking switching him to fromm.aftwr seeing. hat everyone feeds that to their maltese. But also saw recalls . Should I just keep him on blue buffalo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Our Sonny (chihuahua/toy poodle mix) is picky and only eats small amounts when he does decide to eat. Casey, our recent rescue maltese never misses a meal and tries to eat Sonny's. When I got him, his foster gave me a baggie of Pure Balance. His first bm at home was a mess, so threw out that baggie and started him on what my Sonny was eating at the time, Orijen dry kibble. Noticed the protein was a bit high, so just switched to Taste of the Wild Salmon and neither seem to like it much and Casey's bm's are still too soft and hard to clean up. Will use up the Taste of the Wild but will try Fromm's next.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts