Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some are unaware of toxic and potentialy deadly foods that Maltese and most small dogs should not have, so here is a list of some of them froma a pedigree newsletter...

Onions
Onion Powder
Chocolate
Alcohol
yeast dough
coffee
tea
salt
Macadamia nuts
hops
tomato leaves and stems
Rhubarb leaves
cigarettes/cigars

There are also some common house plants to avoid, I'll have to find my list

anyone else know of any?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ivy, Poinsettias and Oleander

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know about the coffee and Bentley will sneak a few licks if you leave your cup down on the end table and go answer the phone or something. I need to keep it out of his reach.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Wow, I didn't know about most of those....Thanks! Tiki loves to take a lick or two of my coffee and loves raw veggies. I'll have to make sure I don't drop any onions!

Tiki's Mom :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's interesting to see this list since it's virtually the same as for what my parrots aren't supposed to eat. I do have a plant list some place. Another couple that we all have are philodendron, dumb cane, hen and chickens, the snake plant (mother-in-law's tongue). Instead of philodendron, I use pothos. They look almost the same except it's harmless. Oh yes, there is one type of ivy that is poisonous; the other is not. Since I can't remember which, I just have ivy stencils around a couple of the ceilings in the house. :D
Gail...Colette'sMom

·
Registered
122 Posts
This is for bentleys mom, I read on another post somewhere that you make a carrier called a hot dog bag, is this true? If so could you write me and give me some info on them. Thank You Lora
my [email protected]

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
This is for bentleys mom, I read on another post somewhere that you make a carrier called a hot dog bag, is this true? If so could you write me and give me some info on them. Thank You Lora
my [email protected][/B]

I PM'd Sue (Bentley's Mom) for you since you posted this in the wrong area. :mellow:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Other toxic foods dogs MAY or MAY NOT be toxic: Grapes (Renal failure in some) raisins

Bulbs: Amaryllis, Autumn Crocus, Daffodil, Day Lily, Elephant Ears, Gladiolas, Hyacinth, Iris, Lily of the Valley, Narcissus, Orange Day Lily, Tulip

Ferns: Aparagus Fern, Australian Nut, Emerald Feather (aka Emerald Fern), Emerald Fern (aka Emerald Feather), Lace Fern, Plumosa Fern

Flowering Plants: Cyclamen, Hydrangea, Kalanchoe, Poinsettia
Garden Perennials: Charming Diffenbachia, Christmas Rose, Flamingo Plant, Foxglove, Marijuana, Morning Glory, Nightshade, Onion, Tomato Plant, Tropic Snow Dumbcane

House Plants: Ceriman (aka Cutleaf Philodendron), Chinese Evergreen, Cordatum, Corn Plant (aka Cornstalk Plant), Cutleaf Philodendron (aka Ceriman), Devil's Ivy, Dumb Cane, Golden Pothos, Green Gold Nephthysis, Marble Queen, Mauna Loa Peace Lily, Nephthytis, Peace Lily, Red-Margined Dracaena, Striped Dracaena, Taro Vine, Warneckei Dracaena

Lillies: Asian Lily (liliaceae), Easter Lily, Glory Lily, Japanese Show Lily, Red Lily, Rubrum Lily, Stargazer Lily, Tiger Lily, Wood Lily

Shrubs: Cycads, Heavenly Bamboo, Holly, Jerusalem Cherry, Mistletoe "American", Oleander, Precatory Bean, Rhododendron, Saddle Leaf Philodendron, Sago Palm, Tree Philodendron, Yucca

Succulents: Aloe (Aloe Vera)

Trees: Avocado, Buddist Pine, Chinaberry Tree, Japanese Yew (aka Yew), Lacy Tree, Macadamia Nut, Madagascar Dragon Tree, Queensland Nut, Schefflera, Yew (aka Japanese Yew)

Vines: Branching Ivy, English Ivy, European Bittersweet, Glacier Ivy, Hahn's self branching English Ivy, Needlepoint Ivy

Misc/Uncategorized: American Bittersweet, Andromeda Japonica, Azalea, Bird of Paradise, Buckeye, Caladium hortulanum, Calla Lily, Castor Bean, Clematis, Fiddle-Leaf Philodendron, Florida Beauty, Fruit Salad Plant, Golden Dieffenbachia, Gold Dust Dracaena, Heartleaf Philodendron, Horsehead Philodendron, Hurricane Plant, Mexican Breadfruit, Mother-in-law, Panda, Philodendron Pertusum, Red Emerald, Red Princess, Ribbon Plant, Satin Pothos, Spotted Dumb Cane, Sweetheart Ivy, Swiss Cheese Plant, Variable Dieffenbachia, Variegated Philodendron, Yesterday/Today/Tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts