Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always reading and searching for a new dog food for kodie... i havent made a decision yet... i always forget the brands members mention and hate to keep asking the same questions...

Joe... do you think we can pin a listing of all dog foods or natural dog foods... I know a lot of people are interested in this and I have seen many of the same threads...

OOPS.. I even put this under the wrong section... could you move it?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Great idea. Since Tanner needs low protein, I have him on Innova Senior and he really likes it. I tried Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul Senior and he liked that, too, but I like the Innova better, it has chunks of potatoe and stuff in it, the Ckn Soup food looks kinda like gruel to me!

The Italian Greyhound and YorkiePoo eat Chicken Soup Adult and I mix that with Merrick (I think that's right) Grammy's Pot Pie dry food.

I tried a lot of different kinds recently to see what all 3 liked best, and naturally, they liked the most expensive, the Merrick canned, that stuff is real close to people food.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
The makers of Innova have several I like. It's a great brand. They have a new holistic one I think it's Evo? I feed 1/2 canned food and 1/2 dry, and Frosty doesn't like the Innova Senior canned. He likes Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice canned. Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance line is good stuff. Right now I'm mixing 2 dry Precise Senior and Nutro's new line of 'Ultra' series Senior. He also like Natural Balance 'rolls'. I slice a couple of thin slices of it then dice it and add it to the dry.

I've always had a hard time finding foods Frosty will eat, and now that he's senior and not well it's even harder. It's a continual experiment. I stick to the premium natural foods for seniors that are lower in protien.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've been feeding the girls' homecooked meals for about 2.5 months now. This week I got a bag of Nature's Varity Dry Kibble. I got the Lamb and Rice one. They LOVE it!! It is really gentle on their stomachs. They haven't had any problems with adding it to the diet. I usually feed them the dry kibble in the morning and a home cooked meal at night.

Before starting the home cooked meals the girls were eating Innova. I was pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Oct 27 2005, 01:42 PM
The makers of Innova have several I like. It's a great brand. They have a new holistic one I think it's Evo? I feed 1/2 canned food and 1/2 dry, and Frosty doesn't like the Innova Senior canned. He likes Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice canned. Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance line is good stuff. Right now I'm mixing 2 dry Precise Senior and Nutro's new line of 'Ultra' series Senior. He also like Natural Balance 'rolls'. I slice a couple of thin slices of it then dice it and add it to the dry.

I've always had a hard time finding foods Frosty will eat, and now that he's senior and not well it's even harder. It's a continual experiment. I stick to the premium natural foods for seniors that are lower in protien.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113985
[/QUOTE]

I have been feeding Lady Evo for about 6 months now and she loves it! More importantly, she is doing really well on it. It is really high protein, though, so it might not be right for Frosty.

I had read that diabetic dogs were having really good blood glucose control with Evo which is why I tried it. It is very low in carbs. Lady has had great results with it.

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=pro...39;1246'%5D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Oct 27 2005, 02:01 PM
Nature's Variety "Prairie" looks like a really good one. I have seen the canned in a pet store here but haven't tried it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113993
[/QUOTE]
I really like it because it is very gentle. They made it so you can change between their dry, canned, raw frozen, and freeze dried food. I was bad and didn't really gradually add it to their diet. I just gave it to them the first morning and they had no problems. Since nikki just got 11 teeth pulled I add water to her's. There isn't even any water left in her bowl.

It is also good for all ages. They pieces are pretty small too. I'll try to remember to take some picks of it tonight. You can go on their website to the food you have and it will help you figure out how much too give them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just posted this under one of the other topics but my girls Tassy and Kiwi do very well on California Natural Chicken and Rice. They also offer lamb and rice or reduced calorie in either chicken or lamb.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Deni and her older siblings are now on:

The Honest Kitchen grain-free dehydrated food (Verve and Embark)

They also have some frozen raw foods added along with it:

Farmore Raw Frozen (available in beef, buffalo and chicken)

Nature's Variety Raw Frozen (I've only used the patties so far, but am expecting some of the nuggets to arrive next week)

I also add chopped raw chicken wings into one meal a day.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have been feeding Lady Evo for about 6 months now and she loves it! More importantly, she is doing really well on it. It is really high protein, though, so it might not be right for Frosty.

I had read that diabetic dogs were having really good blood glucose control with Evo which is why I tried it. It is very low in carbs. Lady has had great results with it.

<span style="font-family:Geneva">I just picked up a sample bag of Evo. I've been feeding my guys raw and heard this is the perfect substitute if raw is not available when travelling etc. All 3 dogs loved it!!!! I think I will buy a bag of this...it will be great to have as an alternate.</span>

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
[Moved and Pinned]

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been rotating between Wellness, Inova, and Merrick canned food. I leave Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul kibble out for her all day, but she doesn't eat much. I also add whatever cooked veggies I make for my own dinner and she gets fruit for desert.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
As most of you know, I feed Teddy naturally - but about a month ago I was in the Pet Smart when I ran into the rep for Blue - foods and treats and asked him a couple of questions.

I had tried to get emergency food for Teddy in case something happens and my daughter cannot cook for him...I picked a brand that I have researched for treats and that Teddy is not allergic to....when I got it home (remember I can't stand for long) I read that even though they were labeled natural lamb - they had chicken and beef in the ingrediates. Now this is nice and it was actually the real thing - but in my opinion a mistake to clasify something as lamb and rice if it contains other meats.

Anyway, I talked to the guy from Blue and he showed me the ingrediants.....wow - they were great so I tried the canned with Teddy and he loves it. Now I don't worry about a day when I cannot cook for him. I am putting the link here but I can say since this does not show the product - I actually see the food it should be in the product - potatoes or carrot or veggies. Teddy is used to getting natural food so this was important to me.

http://bluebuff.com/products/dogs.shtml

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I use Merrick and Prairie and like each equally. I add a little canned Merrick ever since I got the dozen cans FREE with their promo. I had to buy the 30 lb. bag, but can use it pretty quickly with my 3 maltese and sheltie. I only get out a couple of lbs. at a time and keep it in a tupperware container so it will stay fresh longer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Both my girls are on Innova right now. They seem to like it ok. I don't think they LOVE LOVE it. I must say they sure don't poop as much. Summer likes boiled turkey, lamb chops or roasted chicken the best. Really she would eat anything I ate.. But I too worry about when I'm gone who will feed her the way I do
So its important to fined a dog food she will eat. So for now were on the Innova. I'm going to try the EVO heard some good things about it to..

·
Registered
496 Posts
Does anyone have anything bad to say about Innova or Wellness?
I have to get Tucker more food tonight and I'm taking him off Eukanuba (which, thanks to you guys, I learned is not very good for him)

I know he really loves the taste of Benefactor (I think that what it's call). Is this brand ok?

blah...Confused

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've been told by a lot of people that raise dogs for over 30 years that Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul is really good FOR them. A lot of the things that they seem to LIKE to eat may not be the BEST for them. Most foods out there will taste really good to them, but that is what they call "junk food" for dogs. It is not nutricious, therefore they go #2 a lot more because all that junk filters out of their system quicker because it has no real content. I hope this makes sense. The lady I know that feeds all her 11 Maltese that have lovely coats and are the healthiest bunch. I am going to have to try a bag next week to see for myself. =]

1 - 20 of 137 Posts