Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some have you have heard me tell about Spencer's problem with urinating in two differnet places (not the litterbox). Well, the vet put him on some meds that have helped, but not cured it. They think it is like an irritable bladder thing, because they can't find anything else wrong with him.
He is around 11 years old, and I am really starting to wonder if he has just created a bad habit now. To make matters worse, he also occasionally poo's in my closet. The other morning Brink got into it and woke me up with poo breath for my morning kisses.
(where IS that green pukey smiley?) So between the ruined carpet, the wee pads COVERING 1/2 of my bedroom and worrying about whether Brink will find treasures in the closet...I am at my wits end with this cat.
After talking to people, these are my options so far and my opinions on them thus far...

1) a shelter (no way!)
2) putting to sleep (no way! So far there doesn't seem to be anything "wrong" with him except for this-he doesn't seem/act sick etc.)
3) belly bands/diapers of some sort-(can you do this with cats? I would have to shave him/keep shaved, cut short so that his fur didn't start stinking)
4) a cat cage like this-see below: (so far this is the option I am leaning towards-except I have NO idea where I would put it and I hate the thought of having him a cage most of the time, but I really am at a loss-)

Those who have cats know how bad cat urine smells and can probably imagine my frustrations at this point.

What do you all think? Any other options you can think of? What about the cage? Is that cruel? He would come out for play, love, brushing, etc...he just couldn't have run of the house anymore...
I am just not sure how I feel about any of it right now...except that the pee/occasional poo thing is on my last nerve!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am not going to be popular for this but oh well....I think that the cage is your best bet if you are going to continue working with him and keep him. I know the smell is horrilbe and the truth be told if he urinates in the same spot long enough will never come out even after replacing the carpet because it sinks into the wood below. If you decide that you can't stand the thought of him being in a cage then the kindest thing to do is put him to sleep. An eleven year old cat w/litterbox issues has no chance at a shelter. The other thing to consider is some cats do get depressed very easy and will not eat, restricting him to a cage only could do this to him. I know this is hard for you and I understand your fustration.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
honestly, if i were you, i'd probably want to give him to a kitty rescue or something
but then; i'm def not a cat person - massive allergies.

i'm gonna say the cage. good luck.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I had a cat with exactly same problem in the past. He had bladder stones and they had to remove them. He had to stay in vet for about two weeks. I think u should get a second opinion about Spencer. Maybe he has more than what ur vet said. I know how u feel, cause I was going crazy cleaning after his wet spots. -_- After his surgery he was back to his normal self. Hope this help.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Has there been any changes in your house hold? From what I hear, there is almost always a health problem associated when a cat start acting out like this unless there is a change in life style (i.e. new home, new pet).

I think your vet may need to run more tests. I don't think it is a solution to lock up a cat especially when he had free run of your house for so long.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Apr 27 2005, 07:00 PM
Has there been any changes in your house hold?  From what I hear, there is almost always a health problem associated when a cat start acting out like this unless there is a change in life style (i.e. new home, new pet).

I think your vet may need to run more tests.  I don't think it is a solution to lock up a cat especially when he had free run of your house for so long.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57383
[/QUOTE]

No changes here. Spencer has had a litterbox issue for over 5 years. In one of our rental houses, he started pooing on the carpet because I guess he smelled the animals before us...(she had dogs, cats, chickens etc. in the house
) I think this started a bad habit-and he started preferring carpet.
The vet put him on ovaban and we tried addressing behavioral aspects of it...it would come and go in spells. I finally thought I found a solution when I got the auto scooping cat box, but after a few months, he started back...but this was only pooing-which I could handle better. Then I realized he was urinating...
Because of his litterbox issues in the past, I am leaning towards the behavioral end.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I agree with getting a second opinion. We have had Jazzy (our cat) for almost 10 years now.

Have you tried the special uninary cat food. That might help.

But If this has been on going for five years its probably him acting out. Have you tried getting carpet samples from the carpet store and putting them in his litter box?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Apr 27 2005, 09:05 PM
Is there a possiblity you can get a second opinion from another vet clinic?

Could Spencer maybe have arthritis problems?  You have a gate that he has to leap over to get to the litter box?  If so is it possible to raise the height of the gate enough that Spencer can crawl underneath but Brinkley cannot?

Once that urine smell gets into the carpet and seeps into the floor boards it never goes away, unless you replace the floor boards as well as the carpet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57441
[/QUOTE]

I could go to the next town over and get a second opinion...but the problem is those two clinics are at odds with one another...
My vet left that clinic for some reason-but I could try it...The other vet in our town is out of the question! He would probably tell me to put him to sleep!

I may try moving the gate...I hadn't thought about that...
but then I worry about the other cats getting "over" it because they are too fat to get under.
If I raise it enough that all can get under-Brink would fit too.

Keep the options coming...there will be more that I haven't thought of...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 27 2005, 05:11 PM
To make matters worse, he also occasionally poo's in my closet. The other morning Brink got into it and woke me up with poo breath for my morning kisses.
(where IS that green pukey smiley?) <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57348
[/QUOTE]

You know I had to comment, right?
I am still looking for the puke smiley! Love the morning poo kisses! Also lovely in the middle of the night! *insert puke smiley here* we are getting better though (crossing fingers).

As far as the kitty, I dont and cannot have a cat (allergies) so I know nothing about the behavior, but does it have anything to do with like dogs marking in the same area that they smell their scent? Is it a matter of replacing the carpet and some heavy duty natures miracle underneath?

I know it is a hard decision but I will tell you that a friend of mine was faced with the same thing. She is a complete lover of animals and went to the ends of the earth for her cats but one problem child that she finally got fed up with and she had to let him go. Found a new home for him but I know that is also not an easy thing to do. The others here seem to think another opinion is in order so I really hope that goes your way and they can find something else that might be the cause. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Holliberry@Apr 27 2005, 10:03 PM
I know it is a hard decision but I will tell you that a friend of mine was faced with the same thing.  She is a complete lover of animals and went to the ends of the earth for her cats but one problem child that she finally got fed up with and she had to let him go. Found a new home for him but I know that is also not an easy thing to do.  <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=57469
[/QUOTE]

I worry with the new home decision because of how someone else might treat him/do to him with his probs...I love him-we have had him since before we were married...he is my son's buddy...but this is driving me NUTS!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Found the puke smiley! I win! hehehe :lol:

Maybe... you could try keeping him in a cage for just a little while, and see if the smaller space encourages him to use the litterbox again?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Poor Spencer! I think you should see if theres any other test your Vet can do-or seek a second opinion--in the past 5 years of him doing this-is it always in the spring-or different times of the year? I know springtime cats get a little crazy from all the smells outdoors. Even though he's an indoor kitty he probably still smells the smells .. ha ha.. I sure hope you can find the cause-he probably doesn't know he's doing anything wrong.......The cage is kinda sad and cruel I think, but I totally understand your frustration. I hope you can get to the bottom of this soon - I feel for you. I have a cat that does that in the house every springtime and I bought him a small dog house and put him out in the evening-then I let him back in before I go to bed. Its strange only certain hours during the evening do I have a problem with him urinating....his other problem is he poos out in the grass like a dog......
But I give him a break on that because he only has three legs so maybe its easier for him.....

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maltsmom...the gate is in front of the back 1/2 bath door so Brink doesn't get his "treats" from the litterbox.
There are no other options in our house to put the litterboxes, and the gate must be there if Brink is going to sleep with us at night.

Stini: Someone else I was talking to suggested that maybe only a short time in the "playpen" (sounds better than the cage) would get him back to using the litterbox and wouldn't have to be a permanent option.

RubyJeansMom: There is no rhyme or reason to when he does it...I wish there was...if there was a pattern to it, maybe it wouldn't feel so frustrating. -_-

Thanks ya'll...

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Cats can have real litterbox issues, unfortunately. The fact that he has to jump over a gate would discourage anyone! Also, how many cats does he have to share a box with? Some cats will refuse to share a box and need their own. Also, cats can be very fussy about clean litterboxes. Are you keeping it really clean? Some cats refuse to use it after it has only been used once. You mention using a automatic scooping box. That may be the problem right there, the change in litter boxes.

I used to work a bit with Siamese cat rescue and one of the things that worked with some of the male cats who sprayed was Feliway. Some pople also swear by Rescue Remedy.

Has the vet ruled out cystitis or crystals?

What I would probably do is try to confine him to one room with his own litter box (a regular one that he is used to with no bells and whistles) and see if that helps.

And yes, they do have kitty diapers. http://carealotpets.com/listItems.asp?disp...eader.gif&From=

·
Registered
363 Posts
When my cat started doing this, I knew something was wrong. Turned out she was very ill and we had to put her to sleep. she was 19. Anyway, my best answer is to confine him. do you have a basement when you could fix up a nice place just for him? And then when it is time for loving and playing and you can watch him, bring him upstairs. I do have a solution for the dog in the litter box. I purchased a litterbox at Petsmart that has the opening in the top. My 11 year old cat has no problem getting in it and the dog is too short. It is lined with a garbage bag. It is called clevercat and cost $30. But you can easily make one out of a sturdy rubbermaid container. I figured that out after I bought the dang thing,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Another problem with male cats-their urine is SO stinky, that you think you've cleaned it up-he can still smell it-and pee there.

I'd go with the cage, then supervised out time. In the meantime-soak everything with natures miracle, and make sure the litter box is fresh all the time-try changing the litter-he may not like the little in there now.

I know he'd prefer being in a big cage compared to a shelter-cats that have accidents do not find other homes.

I'd also try the panties. Heck-maybe he'll see himself in the mirror, realize how foolish he looks and give up the marking behavior. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The introduction of new pets was not a factor...I think he is
personally!
Anyway, I am going to try the higher rubbermaid containers for litterboxes and lose the gate and see what happens...if I wake up to "litterbox treats" in my bed...you all WILL HEAR FROM ME!

Yes, we have two litterboxes in that bathroom-all that will fit...they are scooped twice daily-and one is an auto scooper, and I still clean out the bin twice. Sometimes their litterbox is almost cleaner than our bathroom.

We have a very small house-so some options are out of the question. For example, that bathroom where the litterboxes are, is the only place to put them, and if I put one for each cat, then there would be no place to walk. As it is, they have overtaken that 1/2 bath, and we don't even use it! People think we are
! I really don't even have a good option for where to put the "cat playpen" if we get it...ha ha...so who knows...I WILL find a solution...through trial and error...

Thanks for the understanding and willingness to offer options!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I took Spencer to the vet this morning for his shots and told him that the meds he has him on are not working...
He is more inclined to believe that Spencer is having a behavioral problem and now prefers the carpet to the litterbox, for whatever reason.
I told him the suggestion about the litterbox with the hole in the top-that was supposedly Brinkley proof...he said it might/might not help. He said if it is a case of him not wanting to jump the gate, he might not want to jump into the higher litterbox either, but it is worth a try. He also suggested moving it to where he is peeing...but that is RIGHT in front of my closet and beside MY side of the bed.
He said he just can't find anything physically wrong with him. Which I guess is a GOOD thing, but harder to treat the behavioral issues...ya know?

Anyway, I think next Friday, when I am off work, I am going to take him for a second opinion...just to make sure...but then I love/trust my vet, so I am torn with that also...ya know?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts