Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Though yes, the excessive drinking and peeing are indicative of diabetes.. it CAN also be due to the UTI. I would normally say to have the urine rechecked to be sure as any suspicion would call for a re-test...but sometimes Vit C can give a false neg on the glucose reading. However a simple blood test could give a confirmation or rule it out.

The glucose spills over into the urine in most pooches when BLOOD level of glucose reaches 180-200... it is when blood level reaches this threshold that the kidney 'throws" the gulcose into the urine.
Normal glucose levels are about the same as for humans... which is about 70-120. ... so technically there could be indication of diabetes .. because say the BG reading was 170 it would not show up in the urine.. but definitely higher than "accepted" range for "normal". ....However .. the excess drinking and peeing normally doesn't manifest at this low a level... so likely is from the UTI.

Since Phoebe tends toward the crystals it would be a good idea to get the urinalysis test 'dipsticks" use these to monitor the PH... you can also monitor for UTIs . Since she is likely going to be prone to the crystals.. you can nip things in the bud with using these.
Thses are the ones I started out with.. I later switched to Hocks Pharmacy online to order the generic from them simply because our diabetic board gets a percentage of the sales.

here is a link to the dipsticks.
http://www.biotechnostix.com/product.aspx?ProductNumber=961

The Alky urine could also be form the UTI but many feel the ALKY causes the UTI.. others say Acidic.. so not a clear consensus on opinions here. ( sort of the ole 'which comes first the chicken or the egg'?)
I have read that veggie diet tends to Alky urine.. high protein to the acidic ( I think i have that correct)..
Terry and Missy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Those dipsticks are wonderful for any dog prone to uti's. Terry convinced me to order them and did a "urine dipping 101" class on-line for me, too!

Monitoring the pH can be the key, as Terry said. My sister's little Jack Russell started having uti's and crystals before she was a year old. Every time they would take her off antibiotics, she would get an infection. My sister spent a small fortune on ultrasounds, took her to 3 different vets and finally up here to the NC State Vet School. None could find any physical reason for her chronic uti, but no one could clear it up either.

All the while I kept telling my sister to get the test strips. Thistle has high pH so I also told her to get Cranberry Relief. I finally gave her some of my strips and some of my Cranberry Relief. Well, for the frist time in 2 years, Thistle can finally be off antibiotics!

And I didn't even send her a bill....but I did say I told you so!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 10 2005, 09:01 AM
Those dipsticks are wonderful for any dog prone to uti's. Terry convinced me to order them and did a "urine dipping 101" class on-line for me, too!

Monitoring the pH can be the key, as Terry said. My sister's little Jack Russell started having uti's and crystals before she was a year old. Every time they would take her off antibiotics, she would get an infection. My sister spent a small fortune on ultrasounds, took her to 3 different vets and finally up here to the NC State Vet School. None could find any physical reason for her chronic uti, but no one could clear it up either.

All the while I kept telling my sister to get the test strips. Thistle has high pH so I also told her to get Cranberry Relief. I finally gave her some of my strips and some of my Cranberry Relief. Well, for the frist time in 2 years, Thistle can finally be off antibiotics!

And I didn't even send her a bill....but I did say I told you so!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71263
[/QUOTE]

Wow what a great story.... it's amazing how we can help each other sometimes better than vets can help us.... That's what makes forums like this even more valuable.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,486 Posts
Should all dogs be checked occassionally with the dip strips? Since I have 3 dogs, just wondering if I should have some on hand and check, say every couple of months. Once they pass the puppy stage they only see the vet once a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Jun 10 2005, 10:21 AM
Should all dogs be checked occassionally with the dip strips?  Since I have 3 dogs, just wondering if I should have some on hand and check, say every couple of months.  Once they pass the puppy stage they only see the vet once a year.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71320
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I wouldn't think you'd need to unless one of them started having recurrent uti's. Terry and I check at home because both Missy and Lady are diabetic and prone to uti's.

If any of your girls showed any symptoms, you could always run a urine sample over to your vet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think if a pooch is prone to UTIs as ladysmom mentioned.. or prone to forming crystals/stones...then regular monitoring can ward off bigger problems or catch things early on. For instance anyone with a Bichon.. or a Bichon mix.. as this breed is prone to stone formation. Otherwise it probably isn't necessary.
Missysmom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Thank you all so much for explaining this for me. I think that is wonderful that I can keep an eye on her PH- and things I've read seem to suggest its her diet that causes this? I am waiting for the vet to call back. She had two accidents since last night and its already the 4th day of antibiotics. I am starting to worry. She is on something called Clavamox 1.5 cc twice a day. This panting is also on my mind. I am thinking of shaving her just to make sure its just not that shes hot...

Thanks so much. When I get these strips, I'm sure I will have questions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 10 2005, 01:02 PM
Thank you all so much for explaining this for me.  I think that is wonderful that I can keep an eye on her PH- and things I've read seem to suggest its her diet that causes this?  I am waiting for the vet to call back.  She had two accidents since last night and its already the 4th day of antibiotics.  I am starting to worry.  She is on something called Clavamox 1.5 cc twice a day.  This panting is also on my mind.  I am thinking of shaving her just to make sure its just not that shes hot...

Thanks so much.  When I get these strips, I'm sure I will have questions!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71385
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it takes a bit of time but usually by the 5th day you should see some improvement ( IMO ) if not ti mught mean that the Clavamox is just not the right antbiotic to fight the particular bacteria.. though it is considered a very good 'wide spectrum' antibiotic.. I found with missy the Baytril was able to fingt a UTI in about 2 days that 6 days of clavamox didn't touch. ..
personally if it was me if not improved in a couple of days ( don't mean expect to be gone... but sign of improvement).. then I'd take a sample of urin in to see if it has made any progress at all.. if not then a sitch in meds is needed, and whay wait till the full round is finished if it isn't doing anything?
Terry and Missy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
They usually start with Clavamox (it's amoxicillin with a "kick") for a uti. If it doesn't clear up, your vet may recommend doing a culture to find out what type of antibiotic the particular bacteria responds to. Baytril is often used, too, and your vet may switch her to that if the Clavamox doesn't work. Since she was spayed so recently, I'd bet that caused this infection. Once it's cleared up, she hopefully won't have any more problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Thank you thank you. I hope that Lady's mom is right and that this is from the spay and maybe its the last!

The vet said that she thinks its too soon to tell so she wants me to continue until Monday. One thing that bothers me is that she wants me to pull her water earlier in the evenings so she doesnt pee all night like she is. Isnt that dangerous? especially if shes hot I would think. I asked if it could be heat and she said the if I'm comfortable that it doesnt necessarily mean that she is, but that the urine problem most likely is causing that. That panting really makes me nervous


This is day 4, so maybe by tomorrow the 5th it will be ok like Missy's mom said. If its not by monday improved I am to take urine and I asked if I should bring some in 14 days and she said yes, so thanks for that tip too


Who mentioned the chicken treats from walmart? Phoebes favorite two treats might have sugar in them but she loooooves them. The one is peanut butter which I thought was ok, and molasses. The other is like an animal cracker but it is for dogs. Maybe I need to find those chicken things and see if she likes them. Are there any other's that you two feel are safe for your dogs with sugar problems? If they wont hurt, I might as well try to lessen the other ones.

Thanks, sorry I'm going all over the place with this topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,659 Posts
I am no vet, but I would question pulling Phoebe's water at night, too. I know when my sister was going through this with her Jack Russell, the vet school told her to get Thistle to drink as much water as possible to flush her out. They put her on a special diet that would make her thirstier and my sister even got her one of those fountains for cats to get her to drink more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
Hope Phoebe is on her way to recovery. In way of treats, I have found that Paris loves the lamb and rice sticks by Nutro (I think). I usually just pinch her off a piece when she goes potty. She will even sit for these. I get them at Petsmart. I've also noticed that Paris has started panting more. I just figured it was because it is getting really hot here. Hopefully, that is all it is with Phoebe. Please keep us posted. Hope you and Phoebe have a restful weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I personally would absolutely not pull the water.. it is good to flush when UTI is prensent and all I have ever read regarding crystals.... is to help ward off and help "disolve" is to give full access to water 24/7.
yes it is inconveinient.. but in the long run I think their bodies are 'telling" them they need it.
Terry and Missy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
I've been fortunate not to have a UTI problem with Chloe but did experience it with my father-in-law's dog.

From my experience with her I have these opinions:
They never told me to keep the water from her. I totally agree that I wouldn't do it. I know some prefer having their dogs on strict schedules but I'm not one of them. I also realize that I'm (lucky enough to be) a full-time malt mom and thus have more flexibility. I know that flushing is essential to helping the antibiotics along so it seems counterproductive to withold water.

I have heard that the spay and UTI can be linked too.

I recently had a UTI myself and once I was on the full swing of antibiotics was really surprised to find how hot I was all the time. I was so uncomfortable. I'm wondering if this might be the same with animals? Might be worth asking the vet - I don't know.

I do know that the vet told me that most dogs will pant when they are uncomfortable. This is (according to her) why dogs will pant while they are having contractions during labor. It's possible that she is hot or perhaps just uncomfortable because of the UTI or even both.

Lastly I wanted to wish your BF's brother-in-law (and all those who care about him) much peace. I didn't answer your post about that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 10 2005, 01:48 PM
Thank you thank you.  I hope that Lady's mom is right and that this is from the spay and maybe its the last!

The vet said that she thinks its too soon to tell so she wants me to continue until Monday.  One thing that bothers me is that she wants me to pull her water earlier in the evenings so she doesnt pee all night like she is.  Isnt that dangerous?  especially if shes hot I would think.  I asked if it could be heat and she said the if I'm comfortable that it doesnt necessarily mean that she is, but that the urine problem most likely is causing that.  That panting really makes me nervous


This is day 4, so maybe by tomorrow the 5th it will be ok like Missy's mom said.  If its not by monday improved I am to take urine and I asked if I should bring some in 14 days and she said yes, so thanks for that tip too


Who mentioned the chicken treats from walmart?  Phoebes favorite two treats might have sugar in them but she loooooves them.  The one is peanut butter which I thought was ok, and molasses.  The other is like an animal cracker but it is for dogs.    Maybe I need to find those chicken things and see if she likes them.  Are there any other's that you two feel are safe for your dogs with sugar problems?  If they wont hurt, I might as well try to lessen the other ones.

Thanks, sorry I'm going all over the place with this topic.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71399
[/QUOTE]

My chicken treats aren't from Walmart but they are freeze-dried chicken or freeze-dried fish and my guys are nutso over them... they have to be refrigerated after opening.... I posted this in another thread in the past but here it is again.


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
We have a male dog, but he has been battling a uti now for way over a month. His urine sample was sterile and was cultured. He was first on clavamox. After finishing the whole treatment my vet repeated the urine culture which grew out a different bacteria!!!! So now he is on a 6 week course of baytril. We are repeating the culture in 3 weeks and then 4 weeks after that one. Ughhhh....I just love the vet bills for urine analysis, cultures, antibiotics and repeat, repeat, repeat. I truly love our baby, but the vet costs can really add up!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
Update: phoebe made it through the first night without peeing the bed
I know we are so far behind in potty training, but I'll deal with that again later. She doesn't miss anywhere else though. She still knows where she *should* be going. I think shes drinking less and going less in general so I hope by next week it will be gone, but I'll take a sample in to be sure.

I still can't find those chicken treats from walmart. K\Cs mom, where do you get the ones you pictured? Phoebe did not like the freeze dried liver but I hope she will like the chicken. I've definately cut down on the sugary treats though.

Brother in law is still in the deeper induced coma and they dont like some signs he is showing with brain swelling. We just have to believe that a miracle is going to happen. Just a hard time all around let me tell you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,287 Posts
Gald to hear Miss Phoebe seems to be doing better! I dont think you can get the treats at WalMart,I get mine either at aPetco,Petsmart or online. Still sending prayers for that miracle to happen for your brother-in-law
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top