Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those of you with 2 or more fluffs, do they each have their own potty pad, or do they share? How often do you have to change them?(I'm having a problem at night with Lily.) Thanks...

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Ava and Abbey both share the pads in the house. Whenever I change a pad, if Abbey sees me doing it, she'll come right over and christen it whether she has to or not!!! :smilie_tischkante:

I change them when there are maybe three pee pees on it. But they also go outside so, it could be ever other day that I change them.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Pads

Hi:

Cappi and Max use the same pads I have 1 pad in the downstairs bathroom and 1 pad next to the door we use to go out to the terrace!!!

The pee on both pads but poop on the pad next to door only . We have had a heavy raining season this year and I have not been able to train much due to weather. they were born July 14!

Ladie, Petey and Mimie just wait to go out to my terrace unless is raining :smilie_tischkante::smilie_tischkante: my dogs just HATE to get their paws wet!

I have a big screened in terrace that is tiled so I p/u poop and clean terrace every day!:w00t:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
My 3 share a pad area ... I have three, 23"x36", pads down all together and they use the entire area. We've gotten in to a schedule and in the morning they all do their business on all three pads and I replace the three pads and clean the floor, etc. so they are starting off with a clean slate!

Then at lunch time they will go but I usually just leave those pads or sometimes I put a clean pad over one that is somewhat dirty and sometimes I totally replace them.

After supper they go again and I clean up all pads and replace like I did in the morning. At other times due to just laziness on my part, if a pad seems like it is time to replace, I'll just put another one on top of it, especially if it is just one of the three.

With three Malts it is way more pad changing than with one or even two.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Lily acts potty trained during the day and shares a pad with Rose. We keep one upstairs in the master bath and one downstairs in the kitchen. I pick up the poop right away and change after 3 pees. Lily will not poop on the same pad as Rose. This is not a problem during the day, only at night. Lily has been sleeping in a crate next to my bed because she poops on the bathroom floor. (They use steps from the bed) Lately, she has been waking us up between 4-5am, which is very annoying.) So, I let her in to the bed. Guess what was on the bathroom floor this morning? Yes, I'll spare you the details. How can I get Lily to use a potty pad at night while I am asleep?:smilie_tischkante:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My Lily acts potty trained during the day and shares a pad with Rose. We keep one upstairs in the master bath and one downstairs in the kitchen. I pick up the poop right away and change after 3 pees. Lily will not poop on the same pad as Rose. This is not a problem during the day, only at night. Lily has been sleeping in a crate next to my bed because she poops on the bathroom floor. (They use steps from the bed) Lately, she has been waking us up between 4-5am, which is very annoying.) So, I let her in to the bed. Guess what was on the bathroom floor this morning? Yes, I'll spare you the details. How can I get Lily to use a potty pad at night while I am asleep?:smilie_tischkante:
Maybe feed her evening meal earlier?
So she'll potty when you are still awake to monitor her?

That is the only thing I could think of.

I have a dog potty for my girls. They share it.
I love that it keeps urine off their paws.
No pee pawprints. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pepper was trained to pee pads but I've been walking him 4x a day since I got him.

My fear is that he's forgotten how to use them.

He'll wait 8 hours if he needs to so he can go outside. I have pee pads in my office, in the kitchen, and in my master bath and he seems to think they're there to lay down on and not to pee on!

I'd really really love for him to use them since winter is coming.

Any hints to get him to start using them again?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
April, I would suggest putting pads down in the bathroom in the area that she usually poops. If you see that she has started using the pads in the bathroom instead of the floor, gradually move the pad right outside of the bathroom and keep the door closed. I havent had experience dealing with this but this is the only thing I could think of to suggest.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Lisa

They sell a spray that you can use on the pad to attract him to it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maltbabe - I've tried using that stuff and not only does it stink, but the dog totally ignores it!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
I have 4 dogs and we put two down and they all use it.

Demi will not use it if too soiled so sometimes we put 3 down if we are out for a while.

I use the washable ones

I also bought a chair pad that is for hardwood floors which is hard plastic and i put the pads on that so if they miss it goes on that and not on the grout of my tile - It has been the best thing ever

we have a pad upstairs in master bath at night too and there are stairs to our bed. They go on the pad in middle of night and we only have one pad down there and put a fresh one down each night before bed.

We also have one in the office where I feed them individually so they eat and get a little time to go potty afterwards. Mine eat twice a day so they are pretty regimented with stools. This way I can avoid POOP EATERS UGHHHH and with health issues I can keep a good handle on things with them as they are on different diets.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Yes, my two use the same pads. And just like Pat, when I put down fresh ones, LEO can not wait to christen it. I do change them often, as I have two using, and Mia especially does not like pads with much on them. It's just a routine I do, but not sure how often a day I change.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I'm not sure what to offer to you as Hunter only goes outside, he won't pee on a pad (or indoors or in the basement) to save our lives! It sounds to me like you need a nighttime potty schedule. Hunter goes outside one last time at 9:30pm (unless we go to bed really late one night) and doesn't go back outside until we get up in the morning (he gets up with DH around 8:00). Maybe they need more of a restricted access and time to use the potty? I'm just throwing ideas out here but maybe one might help.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Maltbabe - I've tried using that stuff and not only does it stink, but the dog totally ignores it!

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
What about dabbing some of your Malt's urine on the pad?
You could wipe the pad on the grass where he went.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I think we solved the problem-Yay!:chili::chili::chili: I put down an extra pad at night, and so far, so good. My Lily sure is a picky girl.:HistericalSmiley: She will pee on the same pad as Rose, but not poop. I have never heard of anything like this. Go figure. We all slept well last night and no more mess on the floor. What we Malt moms go through...:HistericalSmiley:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts