Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little girl that came from a very bad abuse situation. She was quite starved, and in the months that I have had her she has really filled out. Too much, in fact. I need to cut down on her food, but it is hard for both of us. She loves to eat, she is so happy at mealtime, and to see her with her little round belly and satisfied sigh after mealtime just makes it so hard not to let her eat her fill. I can harden my heart and cut her back, but the slightest hunger pang, and she starts eating her or my other dogs poop. If she isn't hungry, she doesn't touch poo. Any suggestions on how to put my now plump starveling on a diet?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I don't have a rescue so I can't comment from that context; however, Kallie needed to lose over a pound and she finally is at a good weight; it took many months. I cut out treats and I measure out her food and then take a little out to use for "treats". I give her a few pieces of kibble at midday and in the evening and then her "big" meals at breakfast and dinner. That way she doesn't seem to be starving at meal time. She has never been interested in poop, so I don't have that problem but I flush it as soon as she or Catcher go anyway, as they don't like to get on the pads if there is any poop on them. So maybe just make sure she doesn't have access to poop. I think you are very wise to realize she needs to lose weight because being overweight can cause diabetes, joint problems, etc. Our babies rely on us to make sure they are at a healthy weight.

It was hard for me to stop the treats because they did get sooo excited and I know what you mean about them enjoying their meals so much but once you make the change it'll become the norm and won't be so bad at all.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
My sheltie gained 10 pounds from sneaking cat food. Yes, it took me a while to figure out what she was doing. I started giving her green beans with her food and it is filling without all the extra calories. She is now slim and trim again. I have tried green beans on some of my other rescues. Not all enjoy the taste so good luck.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
try feeding "light" food like cheerios or fruit (the buttercup recommends peanut butter covered carrots but her opinion doesnt count right now), or even crushed ice? my friend gave her dog crushed ice as a treat (it's all he would live on, if he could, he is constantly by the fridge in hopes that the Crushed Ice Fairy comes by and fills his dish...) and he has lost a lot of the weight that he needed to, and also didnt feel that he was "missing out" On his other treats.
the smaller meals like Kallie/Catcher's mom suggested may help too. you can cut back on kibble that way, and they just think they're getting more food, more often! buttercup, when she doesnt want to eat all her dinner, WILL fill up on her dinner if i put the remaining kibble in a treat dispenser ball. this way, i can better control how much she eats/doesnt eat by splitting up her daily amount of kibble in her bowl and in her treat ball.

ann marie and the "that doesnt make ANY sense, but i know what you're trying to offer as a suggestion, mommy!" buttercup

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
You are right in trying to keep the weight under control.. We didn't withour Missy and she ended up getting diabetes... excess weight is also hard on the tender knees/legs.
Now, with my little rescue, Naddie, I am going to try very hard to keep her weight to a healthy one for her .I learned from Missy that green beans ( she preferrred the frozen cut beans just slightly thawed), and broccoli florets, were hearthy choices. for treats.
I also bought some diet cookie-bones from the vet. They are the Veterinary Diets Line called "Restricted Calorie Rewards" ( not to be confused with the "Healthy-Rewards") bu Eukanuba. these diet cookies are very tiny milkbone type cookies and even then I broke them.
Taking the daily allotment for the ideal weight and spreadin it out thru the day if that's possible is a good idea too.
I used to feed Missy the weight control food and took the canned, sliced it thin and baked it till all the moisture was out, flipping them a few times till they were 'toasted and cookie-like. I'd only do a few at a time and break them up and give as treat. I still had a few cans left and plan to make a few of these for Naddie for a now and again treat.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I agree with everything Missy's Mom said. I know that my Lady was probably genetically prone to diabetes, but the fact that she gained so much weight after I adopted her contributed to it I'm sure.

Your little girl sounds so much like Lady. I'm not sure if poor Lady got fed on a regular basis before I adopted her. She is such a chowhound! I gave her so many treats when I first adopted her in addition to her regular food she "blossomed" up to 11&1/2 pounds. She is now 9 pounds, her ideal weight, so she was carrying around a lot of excess weight.

Lady loves green beans. She is borderline obsessive about them! I thaw the frozen beans, cut them in half and put them in her Busy Buddy Twist and Treat. She also loves dehydrated chicken strips. Old Mother Hubbard makes a good biscuit, too, their "Just Veggin" flavor. I get the mini biscuits and Lady gets 1/2 a biscuit.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am working on a few things with her--when I am home. I have been working/volunteering alot right now, but I am very concerned with how much weight she has gained. She does love her food though, it is so hard for me to even think about denying her, knowing what she went through.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
I do think it is much about the "attention" and not hunger that modivates the eating. I know with my little Naddie .. she is not real big on eating between her meals which is good actually.
My problem is the "potty"..
I believe she was punished and so potty ( well pee only) she thinks it must be done in secret. This Am she started to sneak to her "favorite spot" but I was keeping an eye on her and I said "No No Naddie".. "potty outside" and went to her to take her outside.. and she just cowered!!!!!!!! broke my heart!!! I didn't even raise my voice to her just said it matter of fact..
Knowing what awful histories and much of which we don't know.. does make it a bit more of a challenge..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.