Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so my hubby and I are starting to break down and really want to get Caesar a little brother or sister. Our only concern so far is having to take 2 dogs everywhere instead of one. We always take Caese whenever we go out of town to visit. Do you guys do this and if you do are you guy welcomed with 2 dogs or would it be better just to stay with one?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know that when I just had Angel it was much easier to sneak her into were ever I went then it is with two
she is also much more laid back then Tag is. I can do it though, if one of my sons is with me and he carries one and I carry the other. As for traveling in the car I have no problems as they both love it. I just think that having two is more fun then one but it also sometimes requires you to be a bit more inventive when you are going in someplace and they don't really want dogs there.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I agree, sneaking is impossible with the two boys. Peanut (my first baby) was so easy and Tic is just an attention freak, so whenever there are people around he has to meet everyone of them. It's cute, but makes it impossible to hide him
As for staying at or visiting people's houses, no one ever minds me bringing the 2 because they are small and quiet most of the time. They actually prefer having the malts over because they don't shed all over the place (plus they are cutest!!). The only time I have a problem is taking them to the vet by myself, because they both hate the vet and so I'm stuck all tangled in leashes with the two of them pulling me opposite directions, trying to get out the office door

·
Registered
195 Posts
Well, speaking from the viewpoint of currently having 4 dogs and 1 foster...

Our oldest two, Bogey and Corky (see sig block), Bogey has travelled with us for most trips except for in the last 3-4 years. He's going to be 16 and has significant arthritis so although he likes to travel, we don't take him anywhere that is more than 3 hours one way. He'll now stay home with our son or will have to be boarded when my son leaves for college next month. Corky hates the car...she shakes and trembles so she's always been a stay-at-home dog except for the occassional 1-3 hour trip.

Our two youngest, Deni, Ally, and my current foster,are travelling fiends. They've (Deni & Ally) already been to CA (22 hours one way) and will be going camping in CO/visiting relatives in WY next week with us. Cutie Pie, my tiny Cockapoo foster, will be taking her first long trip when I bring her to a no-kill rescue in CO next week. They go with me into town if the weather isn't hot and they take turns going with me to the shelter that I volunteer at and hang out with the staff when I'm taking Petfinder pictures. They will be my primary travelling partners from now on, and it helps that they are all small (< or just over 5# each). I haven't tried to sneak them in anywhere, but when I do travel I look for places that will let pets in so that they can do things with me.

There have been a couple of times that I've taken all four dogs out of town and into pet friendly stores by myself. It can be a little crazy at times, but everyone (almost) enjoys the time out. A trip to the vet with all four, by myself, can be interesting...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've never found it to be especially hard traveling with two dogs versus one. Tuffy can be a handful traveling but we've never had any major incidents. We've taken two to hotels that didn't exactly allow pets and never were found out. Luckily both of mine are good travelers so after the initial excitement and hyperness at being in the car they usually settle down and nap for most of a road trip. We've never flown with them so I can't give you any advice there. I also like having two just in case for some reason we couldn't take them on a trip because at least they'd have each other if we had to leave them with family or friends. They are like calming influences on each other which is really nice. For what it's worth, I really enjoy having two and aside from spending twice as much on dog stuff, there hasn't been a single negative thing about having two.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've only had Nikki for 3 weeks now but I have traveled twice with both girls. Its not much different from traveling with just Lexi. Both of them have their own crates but they are getting along so well that I think from now on I'm only going to set up Lexi's (the bigger crate) in the back seat and just put Nikki's in the trunk.

I love having two dogs!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
If I had a car and would even consider driving out here, it'd be so easy to take the two of them out. But, since we rely entirely on either our own 10 feet or public transportation, we don't go very many places. My local supermarket is friendly to dogs, but if I brought the two of them, how on earth would I carry all my groceries home? And if I brought only one, that would mean one staying at home alone. Not fair. I rather miss the days when Sir N went everywhere with me. It just isn't feasible for me now. The same kind of places are still very welcoming: convenience stores, video/dvd shops, hair shops, grocery stores, banks, etc. But, since I have to carry everything I buy with me, having two dogs on leashes makes everything difficult. So now, about the only place we all go together is the bank as I'm usually there to wire money or make a deposit--neither of which involves carrying a lot of things around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I definitely recommend two. IMHO dogs need another doggy friend. Some people say that adding a second dog makes the first one less needy. I ended up with two needy dogs (lol) but they do have each other to pay with and entertain each other a fair amount of the time. Yes, its more trouble traveling with two, but I've learned to carry them together in one arm. They really love each other and if one is out of sight of the other, they get concerned for the missing sibling.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
If you have 2 GOOD babies, then your guest will not care. At least my family doesnt. If they can handle Cloud, then having Noriko around is like nothing since she is so tiny. I hope that lil Caesar wants a sibling. GOOD LOOK!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
having two soon enough becomes like having one for the most part, you just learn to plan different, now that we will be getting a third we'll see how that stands true (or not!!)

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Joe+Jul 30 2005, 08:57 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 30 2005, 09:55 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Joe
@Jul 30 2005, 08:50 PM
having two soon enough becomes like having one for the most part, you just learn to plan different
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86060

That is so true!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86065

[/QUOTE]

thanks, i was a psychodiatrist in another life

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86068
[/B][/QUOTE]
LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.