Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you ever had any critters gointo your chimneys? over the summer we had a squirrel go all the way into our fireplace...so we made a long rope and he eventually climbed out. after that we made sure the damper was closed tightly. now it sounds like something is in the chimney right on top of the damper. probably another squirrel. i never knew chimneys were this much trouble even when you dont use them.

V

·
0 Posts
Many years ago I bred Persian cats. There was a fireplace in the kitchen that had once been used for cooking long ago. The kitchen renovation included this fireplace and the bottom was now cabinets and midway up the counter. Well one of the furry beasts actually climbed up it and out on the roof. We could hear him meowing in the kitchen but he was no where to be seen. It want long before we realized where he was. and we went up and got him. Boy was he happy to be home . The furthest the cats ever traveled was to the bathroom where the litter box was!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
when i was 16 and we were going to buy a house, i sat in front of the chimney(we didnt have a chimney in the house i grew up in) and i was thinking "wow, there's fire-proof objects in here for decoration" and i was about to open the glass and pick it up(i wanted to see the material...im a freak like that) and then i realized they were birds. it was disgusting. we have a chimney in the house we're renting in now...but cynthia doesnt want me to turn it on or anything. i used to be a sorta pyromaniac when i was little.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Nov 26 2004, 02:10 PM
have any of you ever had any critters gointo your chimneys?  over the summer we had a squirrel go all the way into our fireplace...so we made a long rope and he eventually climbed out.  after that we made sure the damper was closed tightly.  now it sounds like something is in the chimney right on top of the damper.  probably another squirrel.  i never knew chimneys were this much trouble even when you dont use them.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=18659
[/QUOTE]

If you have critters in your chimney, I would suggest getting chimney "cap". It is a "thing" that fits on top of the chimney that keeps animals out....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we have one but its lacking the mesh...so my hubby just needs to get up there and add some mesh to it

·
Registered
31 Posts
My house now has a chimney and I never lived in a house with a fire place before.
When we first moved in we had the chimney professionally swept and inspected. We also have the chimney cap with the mesh put on, not only for critters getting in but I was told it prevents sparks on the roof.

We don't light a fire too often, but when we do I keep a close eye on Cal, I get nervous if he gets too close, thank goodness he seems to be afraid and never goes too close to the screen. I NEVER leave him unattended when the fire place is going. It is nice to be cozy on the sofa with my baby by my side and the fire place going.

n.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts