Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know I'm trying to grow Princess's hair. I've noticed her facial hair(just around her mouth) is more damaged than the rest of her hair and doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the rest of her body.
So my question is do you think I should trim her damaged facial hair or should I just let it grow???

·
Registered
860 Posts
I think you will always see this around their mouth area due to there eating playing and rooting around with there face. Micro trimming it could help but I think a good conditioner would help a whole lot to. But I don't keep mine in full coat maybe somebody else that is in the show part of it can give better advice I would want to learn more about it myself to. Princess is beautiful I see nothing wrong with her coat myself.
Char

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I wonder if Chris Stix would help to lighten the hair and Ice on Ice to act as a protective covering for future stains. I have not tried these yet, but I do have them ordered from Chris Christensen and they should arrive soon.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I've noticed with Paris' hair around her mouth, that it is not as soft as the rest of the hair. Is your's like that?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Teaco@Sep 13 2005, 05:03 AM
I think you will always see this around their mouth area due to there eating playing and rooting around with there face. Micro trimming it could help but I think a good conditioner would help a whole lot to. But I don't keep mine in full coat maybe somebody else that is in the show part of it can give better advice I would want to learn more about it myself to. Princess is beautiful I see nothing wrong with her coat myself.
Char
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99088
[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much. Maybe I'll try a good conditioner. I do use petsilk conditioner and liquid silk. Also ice on ice for daily brushing. Which conditioner do you recomend???

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Sep 13 2005, 10:11 AM
I know they band the face furnishings in show dogs. You could try that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99209
[/QUOTE]

I do band her face now when she eats. But her hair is already damaged from playing and chewing etc. She also likes to lick around her mouth a lot so her hair is always in her mouth. Even if I remove them she'll put them back in her mouth again. -_-

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 13 2005, 05:34 PM
What do you use to wash her face?

I would band it all the time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99363
[/QUOTE]

I use petsilk shampoo every 10 days and I just wash her face with water every morning. She doesn't really like bands on her face. I guess she just has to get used to it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Sep 13 2005, 05:37 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 01:34 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Sep 13 2005, 09:48 AM
I've noticed with Paris' hair around her mouth, that it is not as soft as the rest of the hair.  Is your's like that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99203

Yes, very dry.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99217

[/QUOTE]

From the picture in your siggy... she looks absolutely gorgeous to me!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99366
[/B][/QUOTE]

Aww, thank you K/C's mom. It's really hard to tell looking at the pic. Her hair is much longer now (it's about 6 inches now) It just gets harder and harder to groom her. -_-

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 13 2005, 05:34 PM
What do you use to wash her face?

I would band it all the time.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99363
[/QUOTE]
What do you recommend using to wash face daily? Also, pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by banding her face? Belle's hair is growing out, it's about 4 1/2 inches now and I want it to look good. Thanks! ~ Jackie

·
Registered
486 Posts
I really like this product.

http://www.purepaws.net/product.asp?intPro...atured=Y&page=1

We use it on dogs faces when they have been bleached and are very dry. You also have to be careful when banding the mouth. If a dog isnt used to it they can rub on it and cause more breakage. There are these bowls I use that are Ceramic and tey have a small whole that they drink out of so their hair gets pushed back and doesnt get so wet. They say Ring Master on them but I cant find them anywhere. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can direct you better.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by sassy14830@Sep 13 2005, 07:25 PM

We use it on dogs faces when they have been bleached and are very dry. You also have to be careful when banding the mouth. If a dog isnt used to it they can rub on it and cause more breakage. There are these bowls I use that are Ceramic and tey have a small whole that they drink out of so their hair gets pushed back and doesnt get so wet. They say Ring Master on them but I cant find them anywhere. Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about and can direct you better.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99417
[/QUOTE]

I've been looking for bowls like that made with stainless steel but I can't find any. Mee told me about it before but she said she can only find the one made with Ceramic. Isn't stainless steel better than ceramic???

BTW, thank you for the link!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Originally posted by Lani+Sep 13 2005, 09:38 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-sassy14830
@Sep 13 2005, 07:25 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99417
I've been looking for bowls like that made with stainless steel but I can't find any. Mee told me about it before but she said she can only find the one made with Ceramic. Isn't stainless steel better than ceramic???

BTW, thank you for the link!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99420
[/B][/QUOTE]

We use both Ceramic and Stainless at work. I like both of them because they are easy to clean. I guess its up to you.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Bayou Ceramics has those ceramic water hole bowls. I love mine! They are all hand made to order so they take about a month to get, but well worth it.

I believe they are about $17 each.

JMM gave me the ordering information. Maybe she can post it here or I can try to find Sheila's email if anyone wants to pm me.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Originally posted by Lani+Sep 13 2005, 12:27 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teaco
@Sep 13 2005, 05:03 AM
Char
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99088
Thank you very much. Maybe I'll try a good conditioner. I do use petsilk conditioner and liquid silk. Also ice on ice for daily brushing. Which conditioner do you recomend???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99214

[/B][/QUOTE]
I use EZ-groom and Panteen cond. I have spent lots of money on grooming stuff but I always fall back to these two. I just kind of treat them Like it was my own hair, I have naturally wavey curly hair and I have to use a very good condition or I have a hard time brushing it out. So I have used human cond. on my malts for quite some time. Somebody said correct me if I am wrong here that maltese coat is like human hair. I can't remember where I heard that at or how much trueth there was to it though. Hopefully somebody on here knows more trueth about this.
Char

·
Registered
860 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Sep 14 2005, 09:06 PM
I use Absolutely Natural shampoo on the face.

Here's M with his face banded

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=99760
[/QUOTE]
What do you call Natural Shampoo I am not sure what that is. But I do know what ever you are using your baby is beautiful. and the coat on that baby is just perfect. How often do you have to brush him or her to keep there coat like that.
Char

1 - 20 of 24 Posts