Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zoe is about one year old and she gets babysat by her grandparents (my parents) quite a bit. My mom is now looking to buy a maltese of her own and wants to get a girl.

I have heard that female dogs do not get along well. One of my friends was forced to adopt a female dog from the family she nannies for because their two female dogs fought so viciously that they feared the dogs would kill each other. The dog she adopted from them was a sweet black lab and you would not have expected such behavior from her.

I know many of you have more than one maltese...Zoe and her new little buddy will hang out a lot when she gets babysat or when we just come over to my parents' house for a visit. I plan on having Zoe and the new puppy spending lots of supervised time together when the puppy first comes home so that they can try to form a bond (or at the very least just get used to each other).

Do you have advice about having two female dogs? I'm sure Zoe will feel a little jealous that her grandparents are taking in another little puppy (although Zoe does live with me). Any advice on forming a bond between Zoe and the new puppy?

Thanks! (By the way, the new puppy won't be coming home for at least 8 to 12 weeks, depending on which litter my mom will get her puppy from).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't know about girls, but my two boys get along beautifully! For the first week Peanut got annoyed because he had to share his toys, but now they are always together
For me the hardest thing is vet trips for the boys. Peanut knows the vets office, so when we get near the doorway, he starts pulling away. I swear he must be leaving claw marks on the pavement
So trying to get me and both boys into the door is really hard. I just tried to be as fair as I can. If one gets a treat the other does as well. I do give Peanut extra hugs and kisses because he was here first. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I think it is an old wives' tale about two females not getting along. Kallie had a female malt playmate that she enjoyed a lot. She actually got along better with her than she does with Catcher. I think it depends on the individual .....

Ms.Magnolia has Sadie and Sassy... and Jolie... I believe they all get along fine.. Susan..... am I correct on that?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
sprite tried to attack and mount ellie for the first 6 months---they didnt get along AT ALL. the reason they stopped fighting: we got gruffi. so then the girls ganged up on him.

but all is good now. the girls are best friends and play alot with eachother....and they still gang up on gruffi.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't have two maltese (yet!), but I do have three female furkids. Corky (Chihuahua) will be 13 y/o, Ally (Pekapoo) will be one year at the end of the month and Deni just turned 6 mos. Deni and Ally being the youngest play together all the time, sometimes is just a gentle play and other times they roughhouse pretty heavily (there's only just over 1# difference in weight) but never gets vicious. Corky is the definite alpha female although Ally tries to take over...Corky checks her and gets her back into line. The only time any of the three seem to "fight" is the rare occassion when Corky is checking Ally and they'll occassionally get into a full blown fight which lasts 1-2 minutes. One holler at them to "Stop!" gets their attention and stops the "fight" immediately. Other than that I haven't had any problem having 3 girls in the house.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My girls all get along fine together. They have their own space in the bed or on the sofa. They know not to get in the other one's spot. I also have a Westie female who lives with them, and she does fine too. The only time we have problems is when the Border Collie comes in and stretches out among them. They bark so bad, wanting her to leave. I think she is deaf becasue she just ignores them.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 20 2005, 05:33 PM
I think it is an old wives' tale about two females not getting along. Kallie had a female malt playmate that she enjoyed a lot. She actually got along better with her than she does with Catcher. I think it depends on the individual .....

Ms.Magnolia has Sadie and Sassy... and Jolie... I believe they all get along fine.. Susan..... am I correct on that?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74153
[/QUOTE]

No problems here with 2 girls....or three. Of course since Sadie and Sassy are littermates that might lessen problems, but even with Jolie - they all get along fine. I'd say that age has been a bigger factor at our house. Jolie just doesn't want to play like the puppies do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
a co-worker of mine got a little girl fromt he same breeder as i did, so we try to get the girls together as often as we can. they get along very well! i'm not sure if they know that they are half-sisters and that's why they get along so well, or if they are just both really friendly dogs. they sure do act like sisters when they're together.

btw... they have their own website: L.E. and Lucy's website

there's movies of them playing together!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Same sex aggression is not an old wives tale. While it is possible for females and males to get along with the same sex, breed and personality play a big part in it. There is a dominant male and dominant female in each pack the aggression generally occurs when they are working out the pack order or a younger dog is challenging the older dog for that dominant position. Of course there are exceptions, in my experience those expceptions happen when you have an clearly alpha dog and one who is happy taking orders and never challenging for the alpha position

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly. I think getting along has everything to do with personality.

My sweetie is 1/2 the size, and younger than Buddy........but is defiinitly the Alpha dog!!!!

She bosses him unmercifully sometimes.........and I believe that she would any other dog too. She is sweet........but definitely in charge. She is a Leo......he is a Aires....

'nuf said......

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have 3 females and they all get along great. before I adopted Luna. Daezie and Maya always got long and play together. Daezie is the alpha dog of all 3

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I think this is close enough related to this topic to put this post here. Do you think that Maltese are happier with another pet in the house or better as an only pet? I am contemplating one day getting another dog, not in the near future, but maybe one day. I already have a boy, would it be best to get another boy or a girl?Also what age is a good age to introduce another pet to the house?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by RexsMom@Jun 22 2005, 04:07 PM
I think this is close enough related to this topic to put this post here.  Do you think that Maltese are happier with another pet in the house or better as an only pet?  I am contemplating one day getting another dog, not in the near future, but maybe one day.  I already have a boy, would it be best to get another boy or a girl?Also what age is a good age to introduce another pet to the house?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74502
[/QUOTE]
I've heard it is better to introduce another dog before your dog is 3 (I think).

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cookie and Sparkle get along wonderfully. They are the closest out of the four and just adore each other. I often find them curled up together sleeping. They each have their own bed but prefer to share. It is very sweet

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Brittany Lot@Jun 20 2005, 06:29 PM
Zoe is about one year old and she gets babysat by her grandparents (my parents) quite a bit.  My mom is now looking to buy a maltese of her own and wants to get a girl.

I have heard that female dogs do not get along well. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=74141
[/QUOTE]

Well, the good news for you, as you can see by the many testimonials in this thread, is that two girls can and do get along great!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts