Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early this morning, I took a cute little mixed dog (poodle/schnauzer--deep chocolate with green eyes) to my patients at one of the homes I visit. It all came about last week when one of mine was visiting and one of my ladies asked one of the owners if they could have one all the time. Well, I jumped right on it. I got one donated, and he had his first day there today. I've done this before, and it is great for the patients to have their own dog to live with them. Even the staff was excited when I walked in. I had continuing education all day, but went back at four to check on things. The pup was asleep on a resident's bed. Several of my other patients told me of their experience with him. I had to go to the administrator's office for something later, and the owner of the home walked in with the pup. He was taking him home for the night. The administrator (big, burly guy) got down in the floor with him. I am so excited about this placement as this home has almost 20 people under 60 there. Most are stroke or accident victims. They have the ability to make him a real part of their life. I'm going to take some belly bands, just in case, as the little guy (11 weeks) hiked his leg today.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When I was a nursing home administrator, I went out and got a dog for the facility. Then another. They were beloved by the residents, and seemed to know when someone needed them. Folks who hadn't shown much emotion (dementia related) would "come out of themselves" and interact with the dogs. I'm a firm believer in the therapy of dogs in these facilities. Now, as administrator of an assisted living for Alzheimer's, I bring Beastie in several times a week. The residents adore him! Lucy Lou, you've done a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
thats really awesome. we actually take all three of our dogs to my grandmas convelescent home and everyone there loves the dogs. at first they were all scared of gruffi. but this last time gruffi went---everyone LOVED him. it was cool. and cynthia told me that he acted like and angel. i didnt believe it at first. LOL.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just have to share some insight from one of my patients. Yesterday, I was talking with three ladies who are in the fortyish range about potty training with Forest. One has a problems as a result of a head injury. I was trying to explain that they needed to be diligent about taking him out as we didn't want to get in trouble with him having accidents. At this point, I was told by the lady with the head injury that he would be like the others as they weren't potty trained either.
I got a call during the day just to let me know that Forest is doing great today. This is the third dog I've placed in the last three years. We think an administrator who was leaving stole one of the dogs and told the residents it got run over. I wish all my homes would let me find dogs for them. But, I will say that they all welcome me bringing mine in during the day. In fact, I had one with me today in another home.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
LucyLou, that is just so neat that you got that dog placed in the home. I know they will forever be grateful.....

I agree that pets are great in nursing homes. One of the assisted living homes my mother was in had a cat and everyone really loved that cat. It was just so neat to see have an animal in the facility. The neat thing about the set-up there was that the building was designed around an atrium. So the cat could go out in the atrium area any time she wanted to and there was no way she could "escape". It was perfect in that the cat could be outside in the grass, etc. and yet be perfectly safe from harm or leaving...

Another home had a cockateil named "Pretty Boy" that everyone loved. I am not a bird lover at all but even I got attached to this one. He talked all the time and whistled and was just the cutest thing....

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Apr 29 2005, 08:38 PM
LucyLou, that is just so neat that you got that dog placed in the home. I know they will forever be grateful.....

I agree that pets are great in nursing homes. One of the assisted living homes my mother was in had a cat and everyone really loved that cat. It was just so neat to see have an animal in the facility.  The neat thing about the set-up there was that the building was designed around an atrium. So the cat could go out in the atrium area any time she wanted to and there was no way she could "escape". It was perfect in that the cat could be outside in the grass, etc. and yet be perfectly safe from harm or leaving...

Another home had a cockateil named "Pretty Boy" that everyone loved. I am not a bird lover at all but even I got attached to this one. He talked all the time and whistled and was just the cutest thing....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58195
[/QUOTE]

My grandma has a golden retriever named Murphy in hers. Although she has altimzers and thinks the dog is really "hers" so she locks him in her bathroom and feeds him loaves of bread. Whenever Murhpy isn't seen for awhile they go check Marge's bathroom.
But she sure does love that dog.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 30 2005, 07:39 AM
My grandma has a golden retriever named Murphy in hers.  Although she has altimzers and thinks the dog is really "hers" so she locks him in her bathroom and feeds him loaves of bread.  Whenever Murhpy isn't seen for awhile they go check Marge's bathroom.
  But she sure does love that dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58258
[/QUOTE]
That's soooo CUTE!!! I saw something on TV before about pets in elderly homes and they sure do bring so much love and fun into the lives of those who live there!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts