Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hesitant to post an introduction, cause I am not owned by a malt yet. But, I might as well do it sometime, hm?

My name is Christina.

I am a college student, hailing from the Dallas area.

I am majoring in English, and am toying with the idea of teaching high school literature some day. (The closer I get to that goal, the more I hear from people telling me how awful it is to teach.
)

In January 05, I realized that I wanted to add a companion to my life around January 06. So, I figure it's never too early to start planning for when the time is right.

I have a very good idea about the good and bad of any dog breed under 20lbs. I've had my heart set on a Malt for a very long time, because they were bred to be delightful little companions. I am totally prepared for the maintenence they require, and the patience it takes to train them. I have also considered other breeds, such as the Pug, Yorkie, Pomeranian, Papillon, Japanese Chin, and Shih Tzu. I feel I'd really like a loving companion breed, but I realize every dog has an individual personality.

I am very serious about the kind of dog I will one day get. I am NOT prepared, nor am I planning to go and get a puppy on a whim. No pet shops. No newspapers. No BYB's.

I have a list of breeders the length of my arm that I want to talk to. Some live as far as 4 hours away (Veranda, Riverwalk, Rhapsody) but I'm always up for a road trip, so I'd visit them in a heartbeat.

Of all the breeds I've looked at, I keep finding that Maltese puppies cost way more than other breeds. I would even go so far as to say they are the most expensive breed recognized by the AKC. However, I was raised with my father constantly teaching me to get the very best when making a serious investment.

I am completely torn on the subject of sex, however. I plan on spoiling this baby rotten: bows, sweaters, the works. And I keep hearing from owners that when they dress up their male dogs, the dog is either mistaken for a girl, or is called 'gay' for wearing a bow. I really want that sweet, mellow little boy disposition, and I hear that some little girls are sneaky and independent and wanna have it 'their way'. However, I do realize that it all depends on the individual puppy, and it's not fair to make blanket statements about the sexes.

The best advice I've gotten so far is to go and meet the puppies, and then follow my heart on making a decision.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Welcome to SM! You sound like a level-headed and smart young lady. I like your Dad's advice about buying the best .... I've lived by that "rule" most of my life, also. It's great to have you here.....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Congratulations on your decision!!
Malts are the most delightful little bundles of joy... I am partial to my little boy but I would love a little girl also. Good luck choosing the one right for you.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Hugs and welcome to SM!! You have thought this out very well! Spend this time learning all you can about Maltese. They are truly a wonderful breed. We have a little girl baby, Sisse, she is VERY independant and will play for hours on her own. She doesn't like being in a room alone though!! They are real people pleasers! She will play by herself and then want up in your arms to just be cuddled! You will learn SO MUCH here on SM, you will no doubt be an "expert" by the time you get your furbaby!! Welcome again!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the warm welcome all!

The reason I sound so serious, I guess, is because I've seen a couple of posts from girls my age who decide they need a malt on a whim and are like, "HELP, ineed a tiny malese girl puppie that weighs 2 lbs full grown and costs under 600 dollars to bring home and luv luv on RIGHT NOW PLZ HELP!!!11"

When I read that, I can't help but feel that this person obviously isn't ready for the responsibility of a puppy yet, if they haven't even taken the time to read up on the basics.

I also feel like they kind of give responsible young adults like me a bad rap. People read that and think, "Oh, those college students just aren't mature enough, nor do they have the time that it takes to care for a malt." (That was the impression I got from reading responses to this girl's plea over at MO.)

But that doesn't apply to me! :D I'm only in class for a max of 4 hours daily, and I feel quite confident that I am mature enough to handle the responsibility. In fact, I really want to get a dog early on, while I have so much free time to spend raising her. Then, when I'm a super busy grad student, we can quietly cuddle up and do homework, instead of fussing with pee pad training or aggressive chewing.

The only thing slowing me down is funds! I've read that you should take the price of the puppy and match that amount away in savings for unforseen care and vet bills. So, I've started my malt fund. Saved so far: $40. The goal is $2-4k.

So, it's so nice to meet all of you. And I hope you will all enjoy sticking with me as I 1.) continue the quest for my perfect puppy, and 2.) make this big transition into the world of becoming a young, independent adult.

*~ Christina D. ~*

PS: Yep, actually, when I got the idea in my head back in January that a malt puppy was something I wanted to seriously consider, the first place I went to was AKC.org. They immediately directed me to the AMA site. There are tons of good breeders in Texas (I know they must be good because I keep hearing wonderful things about them, and I see them connected to other great show breeders).

However, I am a bit hesitant to go and visit them, because I won't be purchasing a dog for another year or so. Do you think I should try and develop a relationship with them anyway, so I can see early on who I like and don't like, and possibly get my name on a waiting list?

PSS: Stini is pronounced stee-nie and it's a nickname derived from Christina. Mom's been calling me this since she brought me home from the hospital.

PSSS: There is one exception to my tyrade about young adults and dogs, and her name is Brit's Mom. We're close to the same age, and she even lives in Fort Worth, which isn't that far from where I am. She's been a big inspiration to me.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hello and welcome!

That's how I read your nickname... My little girls name is "Martini" so her #1 nickname is Tini or... Tea-knee-- I was wondering if some people thought I called her Tiny.

About deciding on the sex of your puppy... I was pretty set on getting a little boy, but I fell in love with Tini.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 11 2005, 10:36 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-stini
@Apr 11 2005, 10:31 AM
*~ Christina D. ~*

PS: Stini is pronounced stee-nie and it's a nickname derived from Christina.  Mom's been calling me this since she brought me home from the hospital.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51333
BTW: Love your name! My full name is Kristina.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51335
[/B][/QUOTE]

It's nice to hear from another Christina.

I'm so tired of the "Aguilera" variety.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by stini+Apr 11 2005, 10:48 AM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 11 2005, 10:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-stini
@Apr 11 2005, 10:31 AM
*~ Christina D. ~*

PS: Stini is pronounced stee-nie and it's a nickname derived from Christina.  Mom's been calling me this since she brought me home from the hospital.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51333

BTW: Love your name! My full name is Kristina.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51335

[/QUOTE]

It's nice to hear from another Christina.

I'm so tired of the "Aguilera" variety.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51345
[/B][/QUOTE]
When I was little I hated the spelling of my name. I was never able to find the pencils and pens with my named spelled correctly. It seems to be a little more popular now a days though.

In high school there were 3 Christinas (all spelled differently) in my class. One year we were all in gym class together. What was funny is when they had us line up together we were all next to each other. The teacher would just ask if the "Three Christinas" were here.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Christina,

I am sure you are younger than I am, but you definitely sound more mature!! When I decided I wanted a maltese, I had to have it right then and there (no research, no thinking about it). My husband tried to talk me out of it, but he had to give in!

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Welcome Christina!!!! Wow!! It really sounds like you know what you want and how to get there!! I'm sure any pup you bring into your life will be sooo lucky to have you! You just made me feel old...
I must admit that I am a more spur of the moment kinda girl. I searched for Peanut for months and when I finally found him, I think that's when I really 'grew up'!!! I guess I do still do stupid things, but when it comes to the pups, that's when the responsible and level headed girl comes out of me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The best advice I've gotten so far is to go and meet the puppies, and then follow my heart on making a decision.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51274
[/QUOTE]

Hi Christina, and welcome, The above was good advice. We have two Shih Tzu males and Two Maltese Females. My opinion is that each dog male or female within any breed all have different personalities. The advice of going and meeting all the puppies and letting your heart make the decision is ideal
The pup may infact choose YOU
. But just remember, you cant scoop them all up and take them home :D

Sounds like you have done research already on various Breeders. Im sure all this research will pay off in the future when you are finally owned by your own Maltese!!! And yes they are "delightful Little companions" They give back 100 fold the love enstowed upon them by their owners.

Oh and BTW. My son recently graduated with his major in English. He decided to go into the Peace Corp for 2 years. They have assigned him to a University in China teaching English.
He is a little excited
Please, Dont give up on teaching, the world needs good teachers!!!You can make a difference in the lives of our youngsters, or young adults.

Best of Luck!,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts