Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This touches on the freedom of speech topic. We all know of the "other" forum, how it's censored and it sparks some resentment in the way that it treats good people that try to participate in it. While the "other " forum is a great source of information, we need to really keep the topics flowing and activity going here so that when others have had enough or banned from the "other" forum, or whatever reason searching for a nice little place to chat and gain info from fellow maltese people they will find that the "other" forum is not the "only" forum. Spoiled Maltese is the "best" forum!

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's exactly how I came here....others will follow and probably think the same way I did...."There has to be a Maltese board somewhere on the Internet that is user friendly and where my questions can be answered."

NEWCOMERS/LURKERS: We are people and dog friendly....please join us!!

Most sincerely,
Colette'sMom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Colette'sMom@Aug 31 2003, 01:44 PM
NEWCOMERS/LURKERS: We are people and dog friendly....please join us!!
Build it and they will come :D I have been working on getting us in more search engines and link directories and will probably add us to the maltese webring soon

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hopefully more will find us. I had a hard time finding another forum, I kept getting forums for people from Malta on my key word search

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have seen a MAJOR difference just since I have joined..the activity has really picked up and the people are finding their way, I think the sight is coming along very nicely!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Joe,
I feel the webring would be a wonderful idea....can we post our board under Maltese on AOL and other such places? You've really already done a wonderful job of search engine listing and meta tags. As I said previously, I found you very easily on Google. Unfortunately, so many people don't know how to even do a search....When others do find the Maltese forum and the Maltese mailing list, we have to wait until they get disgusted, as I did; they then search again and here we are! :D
Colette'sMom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Colette'sMom@Sep 1 2003, 02:35 PM
....can we post our board under Maltese on AOL and other such places? You've really already done a wonderful job of search engine listing and meta tags. As I said previously, I found you very easily on Google.
you could post it in a signature line or if someone was asking for Maltese related sites, something along those lines but i wouldnt just go in and post a link to it, some may view that as SPAM, I used to be pretty active on the AOL Maltese board, made alot of friends there, but I havent had AOL for years, I need to find away to get in there and say hi :D

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have gone out on other "dog" related sites that allow "other site" postings and directed those interested to this maltese site. I am glad it is picking up.... love it here!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Joe,
My husband uses AOL although I avoid it like the plague...I have cable so we connect without using their modem. Let me know how to access the Maltese board, and I'll cleverly put us on there. Whenever I put something into their "keyword" it takes me to the Web...not what I want.
Colette'sMom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I cant remember how you get to it, you have to look up Newsgroups I think, something like Dogs>Breeds>Maltese or something similar, I may have to go over to my brothers house and see if i can sign on on his account and figure it out

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
whats a meta tag? I'm pretty slow when it comes to computers. I know the programs we use at work and I'm great at surfing and web searches but the techie stuff and the lingo are way above my level.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm going to have to get rather complicated here.
A meta tag is a "thingy string" that you put in your web's scripting. It cannot be seen. It tells what the sight is about, but they must be inserted and written correctly. Then, if properly submitted to the major search engines, the site you want on the search engine should be picked up within a couple of months. The more "hits" a site gets, the further up you are on the search engine. Much also depends on how many people link to your site. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
? Thingy string
? For a minute there I thought a thingy string was a dongle. Boy was I off. I think I understand (maybe) anyway maybe we should all start entering Spoiledmaltese thru a search giving it a hit each time we visit. Would that work? Would that help move it up? I wish we could somehow get our whereabouts known to the "other" forums banned or ticked off former participants.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi Luv,
Go to Google and put in "Maltese Dog Forum". You'll see that Joe has done his work on the meta tags. We are visible. Except for Bobbie's mailing list and the other board that has to go through the moderator and maybe you'll get posted is the second top winner.
Then try on Goodgle other options such as "Maltese dog bulletin board". You'll see that other Maltese boards come up....note the dates of the posts! They're not exactly active and I note the pages are yellowing.
The only suggestion is to possibly have Joe put in "Maltese dog bulletin board" in his meta tag so that when Google makes its periodic rounds, it will pick up the word "bulletin board" also. There's no need to resubmit since we are already recognized. People are starting to use the word "forum" more than "bulletin board" but the name keeps hanging on nevertheless.
I am tempted to go to some of those boards and politely mention our exiistance. It doesn't seem like anyone is taking down posts....perhaps if a newcomer comes by some of the other boards and sees our URL, they may try us. The only reason I started posting here is because I saw current posts and replies. Our posts don't date back to the dark ages.
Why don't you all let me know what you think. I don't see this as spam. Looks like creative advertising to me. :lol:
Gail

·
Registered
181 Posts
Continued...........
My computer is not working correctly. You should be able to right click on a web site and then click on "View Source". That shows the meta tags right at the top and afterwards, all the scripting gibberish. Here's what mine looks like. There are strict rules that must be followed....I paid to have it done correctly since it was Greek to me. Joe's is also correct since we are indeed on Google.

<TITLE>Gail's French Educational Links</TITLE>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<META
content="french language educational resources links,educational links,liens educatifs,french links for teachers, French web links, t'chat, French chat room, students and lovers of French. FLE, educators,interactive educational links for the French class, students,learn French,Paris,francais,ressources educatives,liens utiles,tourism,over 600 French links,gailsfrenchlinks.com,"
name=KEYWORDS>
<META
content="Gail's French links has many French language resources for learning French: teachers, students,information on education,French classroom activities, activities pour la classe,Paris, learn French, apprendre le francais, tourism, culture. Learn about france and liens francais."
name=Description>
<META
content="french language resources for teachers,education links,learn,france,Paris,ressources français,French resources,liens,teaching activities,"

I don't usually get this boring.........I hope. :D

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Colette'sMom@Sep 3 2003, 11:30 PM
I don't usually get this boring.........I hope. :D
heck your talking my language :D i agree with the bulletin board keyword suggestion, i will add that soon, I also need to optimize the main page with more keywords, so the layout may change soon, i have been working on links from other sites and that will help a ton, the only thing is we have to wait for google to spider those sites and notice they are linked to us before our ranking will improve that much, but we'll get there a little at a time, my other forum i have averages about 150 sign ups a month, so in time i am sure we can get it to grow here

1 - 20 of 33 Posts