Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well I know I posted a topic not too long ago regarding what kind of flea meds to put Zoe on and I know that Brinkley's mom said that her vet said it was okay to find a few BUT
I found TWO FLEAS on Zoe today (at separate times) and I am kind of freaking out about it!

Well I got from Brinkley's mom on my last post that in order for the meds to kick in the fleas have to bite the dog..which is helpful info by the way...but is there anyway to further prevent her from having them on her at all?
She hasn't even been outside the past five or six days (it has been really hot) unless someone was carrying her and we have no other indoor animals that could have brought them in. I vacuumed the floors and changed her bedding and mine but I'm not sure what other precautions I should be taking......
Help! :wacko:
Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
447 Posts
LOL believe it or not, the day after I posted how great Advantix is, I found 3 FLEAS on Brit'ny when I gave her a bath!

I ran straight to the vet who told me the same thing, the fleas had not bit so they were just "hangn' around". Well I don't want them on her AT ALL, they probably feel gross on her and having fleas just reminds me of a dog that is not well taken care of, and anyone knows I take care of her.... soooooooooooooooo the vet said NO to flea collars because she is on the meds, NO to a dip (again the meds) but yes to a mild powder.

Lemme go get it right quick...okay its called Viper Insect dust. I got it at a feed store. It is completley harmless because its for vegetables and fruits, but it worked WONDERS! I gave her another bath today, not one single flea!

I had just sprinkled some through her fur and ruffled it around a lil (just one or two shakes and it actually made her whiter!) and then sprinkled it all over our carpet and then vacumed

Don't know which of the two did it, but no more fleas and I am very happy and so is she!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Good point Nichole!
*goes directly to fiance and tells him to go clean the vac NOW! LOL*

BTW I live in Fort Worth Texas, the heat and mild winters here make fleas and ticks VERY bad. Brit'ny only goes out to do #1 and #2 and scoots back in (less than a total of maybe 20 minutes a day) and like I said we have had problems.

Plus our house is in a more wooded area.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nicole: I grew up in Dubuque, IA (right on the border of IA, IL, WI) and the dog I grew up with never had fleas. I got Lexi after I moved to Des Moines, IA and I have found a couple of fleas on her since May.

I asked a vet if it is the region in the country you live in that determine how bad the fleas are in your area. He said that there can be no fleas in one area of a city and another area that has a major problem with fleas.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I do think the area of the country matters. We often have very mild winters here, and last winter was extremely mild. We had very little below freezing temps. That makes all bugs worse, but especially fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes.

I may look for the flea powder mentioned above. We have a farm store that will probably carry it. I still find the few "hanging around" too. I am sure they are on the cats as well, but because their fur is so much more dense, I cannot find them.
I try to catch them on Brinkley to kill them. If I do finally catch them, half the time, I drop them before I can kill them
, not doing a whole lot of good. I am just trying to be patient until fall and winter kick in, and hopefully things will get better. I am glad he does not potty outside, or we probably would have a big problem.

Oh, and I was glad Nichole mentioned the vacuum thing, because I was going to suggest that too.

Another thing, is look around for an exterminator company that covers flea sprays. We are on a quarterly spray thing a year. 32.00 a spray. They don't spray for fleas unless we ask, but when they do, if we find fleas in the carpet again, before time for our next quarterly spray, they come back and spray for free. They will also spray a portion of our yard around the perimeter of the house. One year we got sand fleas REALLY bad. Brought them in on our shoes and clothes or something. They said everyone had them bad. I tried spraying myself several times to no avail. Finally someone suggested this company. My other pest control people wanted to charge me 50.00 to come and spray for fleas, above what I was paying every quarter. This one is covered, and it was a relief to switch!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in San Luis Obispo in California, about 10 minutes away from the beach. (For those of you familiar with Ca. it is about 1.5 hours north of Santa Barbara, or about half way between San Fran and LA).
We never have cold winters (a day that doesn't reach about 63 is FREEZING for us! :lol: ) so I'm a little nervous that these fleas won't go away.
I'm really wondering how they are getting brought into our house though...can they be brought in on your shoes or something? We're going to the vet today for her next set of shots (
poor Zoe) so I'll ask her today!
I am a total neat freak so fleas REALLY bother me...I hate that you can't just squish them, that you have to break their backs or whatever it is. I just try flushing them if I can get them in a Kleenex or something....uck

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
brittany lot, i live in Valencia...San Luis Obispo is too cold for us! lol. and whats up with the heat thats going on, its been like 103 for the past 3 days!!!

anyway, we have never had problems with fleas, but i keep them on advantix. i used to use revolution but ellie got a bad reaction (lost hair and got scabs, it was gross) so we got them off that.

how big is a flea??

i know we get earwigs and roly polies a lot here--those are soo nasty!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The heat has been bad! It was actually a lot milder for us today
So, now I have found a total of SIX fleas on her! :eek: I am not to pleased about this. The vet said to do everything I had already done...wash all the bedding, vacuum the floors, bathe Zoe etc.
Tonight I sprayed a Raid Carpet Flea treatment on the carpet which kills the fleas and all their eggs...yuck. I assume that the spray is for dogs with much more severe problems, but I am so grossed out by any fleas that I really want to make sure they are all gone.
By the way, a flea is SUPER small. They are hard to find on Zoe since her hair is like 3.5 inches long but the white hair helps because they are black. The flea comb is my best friend because I find that is the only way you can remove them (so I guess they are big enough to get caught in a flea comb :wacko: ).
Anyway, if this flea problem doesn't go away I'm going to go NUTS :wacko: .
Wish me luck!!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Well...maybe you wouldn't have such a bad problem if she wasn't so darn cute!!!!
The fleas think she's cute!!!! He he!
She has got one of the SWEETEST faces! I just love the picture in your avatar. Everytime I see her my heart just melts.
What a cutie! I bet she can get away with murder!!! LOL.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Originally posted by Brittany Lot@Sep 3 2004, 11:30 PM
The heat has been bad!  It was actually a lot milder for us today
So, now I have found a total of SIX fleas on her!  :eek:  I am not to pleased about this.  The vet said to do everything I had already done...wash all the bedding, vacuum the floors, bathe Zoe etc.
Tonight I sprayed a Raid Carpet Flea treatment on the carpet which kills the fleas and all their eggs...yuck.  I assume that the spray is for dogs with much more severe problems, but I am so grossed out by any fleas that I really want to make sure they are all gone.
By the way, a flea is SUPER small.  They are hard to find on Zoe since her hair is like 3.5 inches long but the white hair helps because they are black.  The flea comb is my best friend because I find that is the only way you can remove them (so I guess they are big enough to get caught in a flea comb :wacko: ).
Anyway, if this flea problem doesn't go away I'm going to go NUTS  :wacko: .
Wish me luck!!!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8296
[/QUOTE]

Brittany PLEASE try the powder! I had the same problem I promise! Just try it, its like 3 bucks for a really BIG CAN at the feed shop! Sprinkle some on her back and on the carpet and in her bedding! It worked for me!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My sister also said that her vet told her...she has chihuahuas (sp?)...that giving them a bath in regular DAWN dishwashing liquid helped to kill the fleas. Gentler than flea/tick shampoo also.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone so much for your support and suggestions!

TLunn...you are so sweet (and she ABSOLUTELY gets away with murder
:lol: )
I tried to find that Viper powder stuff but I couldn't find it anywhere and the person that worked at our feed store said she hadn't heard of anything like it...that's why I got the Raid stuff.
Anywhoo so I sprayed everything last night and today I only found two dead fleas on her and NO fleas anywhere else...
YEAH!!!

Anyway, I also have to just say that I am SO happy to have found this site...everyone here is SO helpful and willing to share ideas and advice without criticizing....I know that certain other forums would not have been so helpful (let alone even allowed me to post this topic
).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts