Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister gave me this tip...maybe you all knew it, but I didn't!

Brinkley often gets out the front door b/c my kids leave it open inadvertently...and it SCARES me to death b/c we live on a busy street and he runs FROM me and absolutely WILL NOT come!! I have coerced him a few times with treats...but he is catching on to that....

My sister said instead of walking toward him...to run FROM HIM and call him at the same time...then HE will chase ME!!!
I did it yesterday...and it worked!
Right away!!! Perfectly!!! I was SO thrilled!
We will see how long it works before he catches on to it too like the treats....

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
HAHA, I can see you running with your arms all in the air like a lunatic screaming "BRINKLEYYYYYYYY!!! BRINKLEYYYYYYYY!"

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
thats a cool trick! parker doesnt run from me so i cant try it out. i started working with him every day going to the mail box when the street isnt so busy (but ours prob doesnt get as busy as urs) he seemes to listen pretty well...hasnt even tried to go in the street unless he sees someone he wants to say hi too, so that is something i have to work on. maybe next time he runs to see someone i will run away! might make the neighbors think im crazy though! lol

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
ive tried running away from jongee too when she had the habit running out the door (she doesnt do it anymore but i know shes waiting for the right moment )

most of the time she was too busy sniffing around doing her own buisness, she ignored me running away from her so i feel like an idiot running bymyself

but then im lucky that i live on a cul de sac (??) and theres barely any cars around and even if there are cars they drive really slowly ,but then it still scares me to death

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi has done that a few times. My dad was the one that figured out if I started to leave she would follow me. I don't even have to run. I just start to go in and Lexi follows. Also I discovered if Lexi won't come into a room with me if I shut the door and then reopen it she will happily come into the room.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i wish my dogs would run after me. i've tried that in the house. what worked for me a few times is that i faked that i was hurt. and then they'd come running to me like "are you allrigth" and when they realized that there was nothing wrong---they didnt care anymore. LOL

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie will run away too... but when i run he chases me! but when i stop running and bend down to get him... he takes off!! lol.. I think its because we play like that... we run after each other and i usually end up hiding from him... and he can NEVER find me... hahahha..hehe. He defently NOT a hunting dog. -_- but anyway... kodie will stop running away from me when i really get mad at him and yell. he will stand where he is and FREEZE.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 10 2004, 04:00 PM
Kodie will run away too... but when i run he chases me!  but when i stop running and bend down to get him... he takes off!! lol..  I think its because we play like that... we run after each other and i usually end up hiding from him... and he can NEVER find me... hahahha..hehe.  He defently NOT a hunting dog. -_-  but anyway... kodie will stop running away from me when i really get mad at him and yell.  he will stand where he is and FREEZE.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21956
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley would NOT stop or FREEZE...he was very naughty... I really had to snatch him fast when my trick worked though b/c he was getting ready to dart off again...probably playing...but it scares me SO bad that he will run in the road or KEEP running down the street or something...
Especially when he is being SO defiant!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Dec 10 2004, 04:00 PM
Kodie will run away too... but when i run he chases me!  but when i stop running and bend down to get him... he takes off!! lol..  I think its because we play like that... we run after each other and i usually end up hiding from him... and he can NEVER find me... hahahha..hehe.  He defently NOT a hunting dog. -_-  but anyway... kodie will stop running away from me when i really get mad at him and yell.  he will stand where he is and FREEZE.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21956
[/QUOTE]

Hey your sig is really nice!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Dec 10 2004, 01:57 PM
My sister gave me this tip...maybe you all knew it, but I didn't!

Brinkley often gets out the front door b/c my kids leave it open inadvertently...and it SCARES me to death b/c we live on a busy street and he runs FROM me and absolutely WILL NOT come!! I have coerced him a few times with treats...but he is catching on to that....

My sister said instead of walking toward him...to run FROM HIM and call him at the same time...then HE will chase ME!!!
I did it yesterday...and it worked!
Right away!!! Perfectly!!! I was SO thrilled!
We will see how long it works before he catches on to it too like the treats....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21915
[/QUOTE]

my friend just told me that also to run the other way
actually i am so paranoid about this because a few weeks ago these people i know who had a maltese she was taking her kids to school and her daughter forgot something so she ran inside to get it and the maltese got out got hit by a car and died so i am so nervous when i open my door because maxi is always right behind me , i also get nervous when my dog walker comes and i tell her please be careful maxi is as fast as lightening
when i first got maxi and i was at my friends house and he was playing outside i had the harness on him and he somehow got out and he was running down the street the more i ran after him, the more he ran i stopped cars and im screaming maxi maxi finally i cornered him and practically body slammed him, i thought my heart was going to stop , this has happened a few times he is like houdini he gets out and he runs
scarry

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Dec 11 2004, 10:53 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Maxismom
@Dec 11 2004, 07:25 AM
...this has happened a few times he is like houdini he gets out and he runs 
  scarry
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22064
HUH!!!???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22097
[/B][/QUOTE]

Houdini-(sp?)...the magician...meaning Maxi 's fast and like magic...Common Buttercup...gotta hangover today....LOL!?!?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A better thing to do would be to train a reliable recall and a solid wait command at the door. We had a young Maltese hit by a car and require reconstructive jaw surgery doing the same thing. She never ran far and never ran into the street, but it only took once. She's lucky to be alive. Many dogs are not so lucky. A reliable recall can be life-saving.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by JMM@Dec 11 2004, 04:02 PM
A better thing to do would be to train a reliable recall and a solid wait command at the door. We had a young Maltese hit by a car and require reconstructive jaw surgery doing the same thing. She never ran far and never ran into the street, but it only took once. She's lucky to be alive. Many dogs are not so lucky. A reliable recall can be life-saving.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22157
[/QUOTE]

My "recall" is reliable and effective until he gets outside...LOL...now "wait" we are not so hot on, but he comes and sits on command quite well in the house etc...just not when he escapes outside leashless...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Dec 11 2004, 02:38 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 10:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Maxismom
  scarry

HUH!!!???

[/QUOTE]

Houdini-(sp?)...the magician...meaning Maxi 's fast and like magic...Common Buttercup...gotta hangover today....LOL!?!?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22152
[/B][/QUOTE]
I know who Houdini is, you butt! LOL How do you escape a harness? Unless it's not on tight enough :/.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko+Dec 11 2004, 08:56 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2004, 10:53 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Maxismom
  scarry

HUH!!!???

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22152
I know who Houdini is, you butt! LOL How do you escape a harness? Unless it's not on tight enough :/.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22203
[/B][/QUOTE]

When brinkley escapes he doesn't have his harness on b/c i am not INTENDING for him to go out...oh...ok..i get it now...
she said he had a harness on...so he must be like houdini and get out of his harness..hehehehehehehehehe

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
HAHA TLUNN--You know why I'm laughing at you!
neener neener NEEEEEEENER

1 - 20 of 26 Posts