Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so i have found another puppy that i just have to have. this sounds nuts, i know. i have two dogs already and i promised my fiancee this would be the last.

okay...please no bashing...i'm pretty emotional as it is.

anyhow, he's APRI registration. i KNOW this is a puppymill red flag, but i honestly think she is just a BYB, tell me if i am wrong. okay, so i know most of you think its very wrong to buy from a byb but both my dogs are from byb. i am in no way saying this makes it okay, i'm just saying that this is all i know. i was considering waiting for a maltese from chaletdemaltese but that could be months.

the puppy is a yorkie (gasp..) doesn't make me any less of a malt love, i've just always wanted one.

anyhow, he would be a third dog, third puppy to be specific. my rott is almost 10 months and tessa is 5 months.

the puppy is 9 weeks old and the lady said she lets them go based on how long they have been on puppy food. he has been eating puppy food for 2 weeks.

she sent me a picture of the mother, she is beautiful, and he is breathtaking.

she also gave me the vet's number so i can call him and ask any questions i may have or have my vet speak to her vet.

okay, the good news...if you guys aren't already furious...she is driving from san francisco to los angeles so she will be passing by santa barbara and has offered to meet me so i would see the pup before paying for him and all that.

i know many of you may get upset and while i do ask for your honest opinion, i would also like to kindly ask that you keep in my i am a human being and have feelings and love this forum. i turn to you guys because i trust you and care for what you have to say...

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nousha,

I don't think anyone will be mean or harsh and certainly no one means to be. I am not an expert by far, but I did just want to say that your puppies are so young (both Morgan and Tessa). At that point in time (around that age) I also didn't think anything was wrong with Miko (and he came from a byb by the way). At 1.5 yrs of age, he developed bilateral luxating patellas, behavioral issues and some urinary/liver? issues. It kind of slowly developed that if I wasn't very observant could have gone one for another year (or longer). I know all these issues can happen with dogs from reputable breeders, but the heartbreak we have faced and will no doubt face more of in the future is unbelievable. I do blame it on the byb. Next time, I will not buy without significant health testing done on parents/pups, warranty and I personally will never go to anyone less than a great breeder. I think that you should just wait till your babies are a little older!! Just because it may be hard to have so many pups around and be a full time student. I know I have my hands full with Miko, school and my husband
!!

PS. Although its kind of the breeder to offer to meet you in Santa Barbara, I think it would be great to see the home where she raises puppies so that you would know for sure that she is not a puppy mill.

PSS. I really hope that nothing in this post offends you!! I just thought that I would share our experience with a byb.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by okw@Jun 9 2005, 10:12 PM
Nousha,

I don't think anyone will be mean or harsh and certainly no one means to be.  I am not an expert by far, but I did just want to say that your puppies are so young (both Morgan and Tessa).  At that point in time (around that age) I also didn't think anything was wrong with Miko (and he came from a byb by the way).  At 1.5 yrs of age, he developed bilateral luxating patellas, behavioral issues and some urinary/liver? issues.  It kind of slowly developed that if I wasn't very observant could have gone one for another year (or longer).  I know all these issues can happen with dogs from reputable breeders, but the heartbreak we have faced and will no doubt face more of in the future is unbelievable.  I do blame it on the byb.  Next time, I will not buy without significant health testing done on parents/pups, warranty and I personally will never go to anyone less than a great breeder.  I think that you should just wait till your babies are a little older!!  Just because it may be hard to have so many pups around and be a full time student.  I know I have my hands full with Miko, school and my husband
!!

PS.  Although its kind of the breeder to offer to meet you in Santa Barbara, I think it would be great to see the home where she raises puppies so that you would know for sure that she is not a puppy mill. 

PSS.  I really hope that nothing in this post offends you!!  I just thought that I would share our experience with a byb.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71208
[/QUOTE]

thank you for your thoughts, really. i appreciate it. i am trying to consider everything and that's why i came to you guys...

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I am also not here to bash or be mean. No one here can make the decision for you. You know all the red flags so you can make an educated decision.
1) APRI Registered
2) Letting them go at 9 weeks (too young)
3) Meeting you on the way (usually puppy millers do this to avoid people seeing thier homes)

I think you need to really decide on what breed you want and what you are looking for. The last thing you want is to be burned again. With each addition to the family, the work will increase. You really have to think about what you want and go for it or you may be adding more and more to your family.

I know Chalet de Malatese has a few puppies right now. All her females went into heat so she has many more puppies than usual. They are all young so you will have to wait at least 3 months.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
IMHO I would wait a couple years because if you get a puppy now you will have three dogs of about the same age. Then in 10 years you will have three senior citizen dogs with the health issues that are bound to come just from aging. It's tough emotionally and financially dealing with those issues with one dog... much less two.... I can't imagine doing so with three!

I do understand that longing feeling that hits our hearts when puppy fever hits . . .

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm not really good at advice but I will just remind you of one little detail... dogs can be expensive.
Just keep that in mind because you will have 3 to take care of..
Keep us updated on your decision!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just want to say I agree with all of the advice you have been given so far and that I applaud your approach to this emotional issue by coming to the knowledge base here at SM.

You are obviously and caring and loving fur-mom. :D

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 10 2005, 05:23 AM
IMHO I would wait a couple years because if you get a puppy now you will have three dogs of about the same age. Then in 10 years you will have three senior citizen dogs with the health issues that are bound to come just from aging. It's tough emotionally and financially dealing with those issues with one dog... much less two.... I can't imagine doing so with three!

I do understand that longing feeling that hits our hearts when puppy fever hits . . .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71228
[/QUOTE]

It's probably hard to imagine with puppies the kind of vet bills you can face as they age, but K&C's mom is absolutely right. My Lady will be 10 this year and her monthly medications run me $100-150. Can you imagine tripling that? Older dogs need dentals and some of the toy breeds, like Maltese, are prone to gum disease and need a yearly dental. Here, in Raleigh, North Carolina, routine dentals run about $200. Triple that.

I know it's hard to think with your head when your heart is telling you something else, but the best thing you can do for the two puppies you've already committed to is to make sure you don't over extend yourself. That's why I won't get another one no matter how tempted I have been sometimes. Lady's had 3 serious illnesses in the past 4 years requiring her to be hospitalized. Each time, the bill was around $1000.

Imagine tripling that!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 10 2005, 09:55 AM
Here, in Raleigh, North Carolina, routine dentals run about $200. Triple that.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71316
[/QUOTE]

Annie and Abbey have to have dentals this summer...ours are only 75$! :eek: I couldn't own pets in some areas of the country...I need to stay where I am!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Jun 10 2005, 10:01 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Jun 10 2005, 09:55 AM
Here, in Raleigh, North Carolina, routine dentals run about $200. Triple that.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71316

Annie and Abbey have to have dentals this summer...ours are only 75$! :eek: I couldn't own pets in some areas of the country...I need to stay where I am!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71318
[/B][/QUOTE]

Wow! Where do you live? I'm moving there!

Yeah, Lady's last dental was $195. Just cleaning, no problems. And she didn't even get anesthesia because of her health problems - my vet just "masked her down"!

I can never seem to get away with anything less than $100 for an office visit. Ouch!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 10 2005, 06:23 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71228
[/QUOTE]

That's a good point no one really wants to think about that. I know I don't
I would also put a few years between the puppies; I think it would be better for you and the puppies as well. Two pups are twice the love but also double the work, so imagine adding a third. Yokies are also a handful they are very attentive they give a lot of love and want it all back now. If you do decide to get one now I would suggest getting one that has already started putty training. It will just make it a lot easier for you. We lucked out that Chester was already trained to go outside. Yes he was still a puppy and had lots of accidents but it really did help that he already new outside was were to go. You will need to spend a lot of time with your yorkie. They don't like to be left alone. Of course they will have company with the other puppies, but they will want you with them as well
I would also love to get another puppy but not anytime soon.
I have to take the puppies in for flea treatment so that another dent in the pocket that we were not expecting. Even though only on got fleas… We have to treat both of them.

Wish you all the best with your decision

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Everyone has such good advice and input! I agree with everyone so far and I just have to say that Chelsey is right on target with the unexpected flea treatment that she needed for both dogs even though only one had/has them. Tic had a little run in with round worms and I needed to bring both to the vet and get meds for both, even though Tic was the one with the worms. Honestly I lucked out because my vet only charged me for one dog. If she hadn't done that I would have paid close to $300 and it happened just out of the blue one night. Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The "average" annual cost of owning a dog is $600. That doesn't include emergencies, illness, medications or grooming. That makes the best case scenario for "super dog" (no medical problems, illness, etc.) $9,000 over a 15 year lifetime.

I'd like to see the dog who only costs $600 a year! I figure it's more like $2500 for Lady and that's with no problems, just routine bloodwork every 6 months, a dental and her medications and food. (I groom her myself).

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 10 2005, 12:03 PM
The "average" annual cost of owning a dog is $600. That doesn't include emergencies, illness, medications or grooming. That makes the best case scenario for "super dog" (no medical problems, illness, etc.) $9,000 over a 15 year lifetime.

I'd like to see the dog who only costs $600 a year! I figure it's more like $2500 for Lady and that's with no problems, just routine bloodwork every 6 months, a dental and her medications and food. (I groom her myself).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71355
[/QUOTE]
Yikes! I guess my dogs aren't average!!! Before I got TicTac, my mom made me go through the file of all Peanut's vet bills and add it all up to see if I was willing to dish out that much for another dog. Goodness, I have probably spent more than $600 on dog food between the allergies and sensitive tummies...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Jun 10 2005, 12:03 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71355
[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. We pay more then that. I also groom Chester and chelsey myself as well.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'd double that "average" to about $1200, I think, for a relatively healthy dog. Even Lady's $2500 is low since I do a lot of her testing at home. I check her blood sugar myself - my vet charges close to $100 for an all day curve. I get those urine test strips to monitor her for uti's ($30 for 100). My vet charges $25 for the same test. I save on office visits ($35) quite often because my vet will prescibe an antibiotic without seeing her.

Pets really are almost a luxury item these days.

Here's a great link about the cost of owning a dog - high and low figures. High is over $38,000 for a 14 year lifespan!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=1543

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79+Jun 10 2005, 12:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-LadysMom
@Jun 10 2005, 11:29 AM
I'd double that "average" to about $1200, I think, for a relatively healthy dog. Even Lady's $2500 is low since I do a lot of her testing at home. I check her blood sugar myself - my vet charges close to $100 for an all day curve. I get those urine test strips to monitor her for uti's ($30 for 100). My vet charges $25 for the same test. I save on office visits ($35) quite often because my vet will prescibe an antibiotic without seeing her.

Pets really are almost a luxury item these days.

Here's a great link about the cost of owning a dog - high and low figures. High is over $38,000 for a 14 year lifespan!

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...&articleid=1543
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71370
My first year with Tuffy I spent over $2000 and he didn't even have any major medical problems that we had to contend with.. that was all just routine stuff plus all the groomings, toys, treats, food.. etc, etc. I admit to going overboard with him, but it just gives an idea of how much we invest into our pets.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71378
[/B][/QUOTE]

I would say that how much we spent on chester mostly vet bills and no major illness . Just rutine as well. No grooming. This year i know i spent way more then that, with all the products we ordered and clipers, play pen. Deffinelty not cheap

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh i am soooo mad, i just made a reply to all your helpful posts, it was long and i don't have time to recreate it. my computer is having a lot of problems lately. anyhow i just thanked you all and wanted you to know that i am going to give this a second thought and will keep you all posted. most of you are like mothers/friends to me that i can get advice from and i love having you all as an outlet. anyhow, i also posted a picture of the sucker who pulled me in and got me in this mess to start with. i'll post it at the bottom.

i also responded to charmypoo about the puppymillers meeting you. this woman is from Louisianna and it is just a coincidence that she and i will cross paths. i also am happy that i would be able to see this puppy and know if it is the same one rather than just having him flown out to me already paid for, you know.

here is the little monster. he is so freakin' darling!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts