Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

FOXTAIL!!

1K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  M&M's MOM 
#1 ·
I just pulled the biggest foxtail out of Chloe's eye! I looked down at her rubbing her face and her eye was all pink and gooey. I lifted up her eyelid and and there was this gigantic foxtail stuck inside the skin of her eyelid! Poor baby. I might take her to the vet, I'm worried about an eye abrasion. Anybody else ever have this happen?

#7 ·
I'm sure there is another name for it, I don't know what it is. It's that top part of a weed with little barb looking things on it. When it is dry, it is very sharp. They are all over in my area.

I just called the vet. They said I should come in to make sure I got it all out and she probably needs an antibiotic put in it. It's getting a little green goopy and swollen now. I'm sure she'll be just fine, just painful. I forgot to ask if I could give her a little pain reliever of some kind. She isn't up to her old silly antics. We'll be leaving for the vet in a little while. So I'll ask then.

thanks so much

#10 ·
Originally posted by mee@Jul 16 2005, 09:11 PM
i posted this in SM awhile ago about foxtails

foxtail

good luck at the vet!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82031
[/QUOTE]

That was a good article. Thank you posting that.

This is not the first time it has happened. My little yorkie had one in her eye last month, but I saw it right away and got it out and it didn't harm her at all. It's pretty difficult to get rid of the foxtails from our property as we live in a rural area. I've been pondering cutting their hair for the summer months. I love to brush them and they look so nice. But their hair picks up everything and I'm sure cutting will really help and keep them much cooler.

I may be posting pictures of little shaved pups soon.

#14 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jul 17 2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.backyardnature.net/fl_foxtl.htm

here is a link that shows the grass, and even pics of the flower head, scroll down page to see all pics.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82107
[/QUOTE]
Oh, thank you so much for the photo. I had some of those in pots around my fountain last year!! I am so glad to know about this... no more for me.. that's for sure!!! I had no idea that what everyone was talking about was something that I've had here!! Here is a photo from the web site above:

#17 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins+Jul 17 2005, 12:43 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jul 17 2005, 10:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-MomtwoMaltmuffins
@Jul 17 2005, 11:45 AM
http://www.backyardnature.net/fl_foxtl.htm

here is a link that shows the grass, and even pics of the flower head, scroll down page to see all pics.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82107

Oh, thank you so much for the photo. I had some of those in pots around my fountain last year!! I am so glad to know about this... no more for me.. that's for sure!!! I had no idea that what everyone was talking about was something that I've had here!! Here is a photo from the web site above:

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82112

[/QUOTE]
You had them in pots? I think they must have been different grasses, nurseries would not be selling foxtail since it is an invasive weed. There are ornamental grasses that can look similar to the pic on the web page.

Or do you mean you had those around your pots growing wild?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82128
[/B][/QUOTE]

Unless I am mistaken this is what my nursery sells in pots. Some people plant them but I don't believe they survive the winter. They are sort of purple-ish in color and to me look like the photo. Last year I bought about 8 plants and had them in pots surrounding the large fountain that is on my patio. Hmmmmm, maybe it was an ornamental grass but I swear it looked exactly like the photo posted above.....

#19 ·
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Jul 17 2005, 07:14 PM
Sher, sounds like an ornmental grass, purplish sounds like Fountain Grass, we have it here as an ornamental, but it does not over winter very well.

We have been buying this year some ornamental grasses for our xeriscape we are doing in our front yard.  Believe me Foxtail would not be one they would be selling at nurserys' it is considered an invasive weed. 

I think I know what grass you are referring to, there are ornamental grasses that have flower heads like that, but they are much softer than the Foxtail flower heads.  It could be a fountain, or feather grass, or any other type of ornamental grass, they are several available at nurseries.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=82225
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's good to know..... "fountain grass" does sound familiar... I'll check in to it just to be sure and yes, the fluffy part on the end was soft.

#20 ·
Jodi - Sorry to hear about Chloe's eye problem. Hope she is getting better every day.

#22 ·
My goodness..we live in the country but I had no idea how bad the foxtail can be for animals! There isn't any in our mowed lawn but I'm sure there is lots in our fields. Believe me, Maggie doesn't go out there and now I know for sure, she won't.

Gosh, foxtails looks sooooo innocent.....I pray her eye will be fine. Please keep us posted!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.