Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the coupon for 5 lbs of free dog food from Nutro last week, redeemed it and took the bag to the Humane Society today. I was really surprised by how delighted they were to get it. This is a no-kill facility and is just beautiful. I'd never been there before and there are 6 large, airy limestone buildings on the campus. The admin bldg has a large area for adoptions with bookshelves full of breed specific books and magazines for browsing. Sidewalks connect all the buildings so you can walk from Admin to Large dog kennels to feline kennel (it was so cool.....several large cat rooms in the front with glass walls so as you walk by on the sidewalk you can see the cats and kittens snoozing in the sun on the carpeted cat condos and platforms or playing or just gazing out at the world), then on to the Puppy Palace and then Special Needs kennel. I was so impressed. It smelled as fresh as a facility housing hundreds of animals could possibly smell.

Except. Every single dog that looked at me wanted me to adopt! The cats and kittens seemed perfectly content where they were but the dogs.......they begged to be taken home. Especially a sweet Lhasa Apso whose owner took her there because at 15 1/2, she was "soiling in the house". I really tried not to be judgmental....perhaps the owner was feeble or infirm or something...but how can you banish your companion in her old age?

I remember meeting a lady who lived in the condo across from my daughter in Boca who had 3 Bichon. I could see 2 of them at her 2nd floor living room balcony window and when I went over to meet her found out she had a 3rd who was aged and likely had alzheimer's but she had him in diapers and she kept him as beautifully groomed as the others and even more pampered because she treasured him so much. THAT'S how you treat a long time companion.

Oh, dear, I'm prattling on.......sorry.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
That is sad! The dog I grew up with (Oreo) is 13 1/2. I can't imagine just getting rid of her because she has accidents.

My family is already dreading the day she dies or we have to put her to sleep. She is a part of our family.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts

That is sad...
We have a cat that is aging...and he is getting finicky and he sprays often in the house and sometimes poos too. <_< It is REALLY aggravating...there is nothing as bad as the smell of cat urine...and you cannot get it out...luckily it is only in two main places...my closet and poor Emily's room----but they ARE animals...I would never think of getting rid of him, although somedays I could really string him up by his tail... ha ha...just kidding...He has been with us for over 10 years-I can't imagine sending him to a shelter.

The cats and kittens seemed perfectly content where they were but the dogs.......they begged to be taken home.[/B]
See, the cats would have been begging ME also...he he...no matter how content they LOOKED...ha ha...that is a cat's way...I would love to give them all homes... -_-

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this one lady that i took a pet 1st aid class told me a really messed up story...about HERSELF. i was soo upset.

her dog, a german shep, had cancer and was doing chemo (i think thats how you spell it) anyway, the dog got so week that she couldnt walk really and she would lay down all the time. so this lady was saying "i loved this dog, i couldnt put her to sleep...but she would pee in the house because she couldnt move"

so she asked her vet to put her dog on medication so that she wouldnt pee so often or something like that...and the vet said 'no' because the dog was doing chemo and she was already sick and stuff.

so the lady said "i had to go to 3 different vets till i found one that would give me what i wanted"

her dog died anyway.

and her and everyone in the class started talking about how their dogs are repeatedly bitten by snakes. i totally didnt understand them.

OH, and this one girl (whose dog got bitten by snakes and attacked by other dogs and a bunch of other stuff) started saying that we were bad people for giving our dogs rawhides.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Oct 13 2004, 08:38 AM
OH, and this one girl (whose dog got bitten by snakes and attacked by other dogs and a bunch of other stuff) started saying that we were bad people for giving our dogs rawhides. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11867
[/QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

·
Registered
831 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Oct 12 2004, 04:12 PM
Especially a sweet Lhasa Apso whose owner took her there because at 15 1/2, she was "soiling in the house".  I really tried not to be judgmental....perhaps the owner was feeble or infirm or something...but how can you banish your companion in her old age? 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=11828
[/QUOTE]

Oh, that just pisses me off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts