Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My name is Brittany and I am expecting my first maltese (a female) on July 20th when she finally turns twelve weeks old. I was so excited to find this site because the forum I had been visiting avidly before (MO) was extremely restricting. So many of my posts didn't make it on because I was mentioned a brand name or something....so frustrating :wacko: !
I am so glad that I found this forum as it is not restricting at all and I think I recognize a few from MO. I have been planning and planning for Zoe's arrival since way before she was born on April 27 and now that her arrival is getting closer I am planning for things double time!

I look forward to getting to know more of you on the forum and talking about things freely!
Talk to ya'll soon,
Brittany :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a name for her...Zoe. We already have a few nicknames like Zoe Bear. The hardest part for me has been all of the WAITING :wacko: ! I have been trying to make the time pass by getting everything all set and now I am basically broke!
I need to slow down on the spending so I still have some money for vet bills :lol: . So far she has about 10 toys, two doggie beds, one play pen, a crate, a carrier purse, several baby blankets, two kinds of kibble food, two kinds of canned food, and soooo many grooming supplies (three kinds of shampoos, two brushes, a comb, special towels, non-slip mat, and more). I aslo bought Simple Solutions...the stuff that takes stains and odor out of carpets, Bitter Apple, and I need to buy some piddle pads. I am going a little nuts!
I still have FOUR MORE WEEKS!!!
How will I ever make it :eek: ??
Thanks for the warm welcome!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Welcome to the group, Brittany. Hope you like it here. It is great place to learn about the Maltese and the people here are wonderful.

Can't wait to see pics of your little one and hear all about her.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
awwww!!! brittany---i saw you on MO a couple of days ago. im glad you found SM. you can talk about ANYTHING :D its awesome. anyway, i hope you can post more pics of zoe. i know exactly how excited you are. and when your stomach knots up on the drive home and you think of how you have to have all this responsibility---and if you ever want to go to hawaii (you cant take zoe
) so i've decided that i'm never traveling there.
i cant wait till you start posting about zoe's little personality and how smart she is.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Brittany, I know exactly what you mean by the wait making you broke. Lexi is my first maltese and I had to wait 5 weeks to get her. I spent the time getting all of the stuff she would "need". Heck I had bought some toys before I even found the breeder. :lol: I have had to put my self on a "Lexi Budget". I can only by stuff that she REALLY needs. I am not sure if I would have had any money left if I had to wait months for her.

To save money I got some of Lexi's toys at Goodwill. Some of Lexi's favorite toys are strips of felt that I cut from some left over felt. They are 1 X 8 inches and I tied a not in the middle. She loves to play fetch with them and tug of war. Plus you can wash them, if they get really gross it is easy to make more, and they are extremely cheap to make.
Go figure out of all of the toys she has her favorites are fabric and TP / Paper towel rolls. :lol:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
lol, that soo funny that her fav toys are cheap. i remember buying gruffi these large toys that were around $25 each! he played with them for a couple of days but he figured that since it was hard to play with the girls with large toys---he stopped liking large toys. lol. he grabs the smallest toys possible. i really like the goodwill idea!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome to you and Zoe, Brittany. Is that picture of you holding baby Zoe? How precious they are as babies and as toddlers, teenagers and adults! There is just no time they are not precious.

I'm am especially glad you found SM......we are a happy lot over here and there's not a nasty personality in the group! Now there are from time to time mischief makers from other sites which I won't mention but we just ignore them.

In the weeks left until you get Zoe, enjoy sleeping all night long :D And consider dying your carpet pee yellow :lol:

Welcome!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
picos parent thats so true!!! with sprite i didnt sleep well at night for 2 weeks. and ellie was "like a piece of sh*t"<----my sister said that. LOL. my sister was like "i didnt get any sleep". and in our old house i didnt know about natures miracle. we sold that house and there are stains EVERYWHERE!! lol. now in this house we're renting i keep a gallon of natures miracle "just in case". i cant wait till brittany and zoe have that bond. it happened with me after a few weeks. like i felt like a mother.
and its super cute when they get hurt or scared and they come to you. like they look to you as a protector. its an awesome feeling.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reading all of the experiences you all have with your babies makes me so jealous and anxious to get Zoe!

I have a big six hour car ride to go get her so I am hoping that she does okay riding in the car for that long...I am bringing along a regular kennel crate, a purse carrier, and this car seat thing I got from PetCo...I'm a little overly prepared in every aspect of her arrival :D
I bought Simple Solutions to use on the carpet for accidents...it removes stain and odor...Do you think that that will work as well as Nature's Miracle?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Brittany welcome to Spoiled Maltese...I also know how exiting you are counting the days until you go pick up your baby. Congratulations!!!!!!

Originally posted by doctorcathy@Jun 25 2004, 09:36 AM
i felt like a mother. 
  and its super cute when they get hurt or scared and they come to you.  like they look to you as a protector.  its an awesome feeling. 

doctorcathy, I totally know what you are talking about the motherhood feeling

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Brittany, I picked up Pico when he was 16 weeks (he'd been with his former owners 1 month but that's another story) and we had a 4 hour drive. I had a small crate which I place on the front seat but he wound up sleeping on my lap the entire trip. much to my delight.

I had water on the back floor and a pee pad, neither of which he used. I stopped once to let him pee on grass because I didn't want him to be uncomfortable holding it since he wasn't pee pad trained.

Now 6 hours is quite a bit longer than 4. (duh!) So I would make sure to have some Nutrical so her blood sugar doesn't dip dangerously low. Pico never gets sick traveling and I feed him normally when we do travel but some do get sick so you may not want to feed Zoe before traveling and the Nutrical will be insurance.

I'm sure Zoe is just as excited to get home as you are to get her home!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Welcome, welcome Brittany!! :D

Zoe is sooo cute!!!
My little guy is only 3 wks right now so 10 more weeks to go for me
! I can't wait and i've been preparing too! If you have any new puppy advice for me after you get Zoe, please share; i'm still learning!! Can't wait to see pictures when she arrives home!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for being so welcoming! This site has such a nice feel to it!

When I go to pick Zoe up I will be having my boyfriend drive (lucky him
) so that I will get to get in some cuddle time with my new pup (hopefully). I hope that Zoe and I will have an experience similar to Pico's.
I feel like such a paranoid mother; I am getting obsessed with doing everything just right and I am SO overprepared. Everything is puppy proofed and Zoe owns more toys than any dog should be allowed to! :lol:
Puppy-luv, How exciting for you that you have a little newborn getting ready to come home with you! The waiting is the worst isn't it? That's what kills me! :wacko:
Now it is only two more weeks and five days! I'm just trying to do activities that I won't be able to do with a new puppy so that I can take my mind off of the long wait and get all the non-pup stuff out of my system. Unfortunately I've pretty much run out of things to do since all I want to do is have Zoe come home <_<
I would love to hear what the first day was like when ya'll picked up your babies!
-Brittany

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you know what you should do? get one of those memory books and put in pics of zoe for every month until she's one and then every year. you can put the medical papers there and then put pics of her spay. put pics of her as a puppy peeing (it looks adorable). you can put what foods she's allergic to. i tried starting a memory book---but then i feel like its too late...and im so lazy. but it would be super cute if you did one. they actually sell one of those books at petsmart.

with sprite--the first day i brought her home. well, first we went to santa paula to pick her up, then we drove to a pizza place with her and then we took her home. on the ride home she licked the necklace i had. i was giving her karo syrup because she was getting white gums. she pooed on newspapers in the car. shes smart. but she didnt want to sit on my lap. she wanted to lay on the floor of the car. i was sad about that. i took her home...she just wanted to sleep. she didnt want to play with me.

with ellie--sprite hated her. didnt want to play with her. but ellie was sooo outgoing. she wanted to play. it was annoying then...but now when i think about it, it was cute---i would call sprite to play, sprite would come and ellie would be right behind her. on the ride home, cynthia was feeding her pieces kibble. she licked us. it was neat

with gruffi---oh my gosh! he was a pain. 5 weeks old, the girls would gang up on him. he would hide under our piano. and we had to wake up every hour to two hours to take him to go potty in the middle of the night! he played very little because the girls would take toys away from him. we would take him on little walks around the block. he was ADORABLE. now he's so big....with the same personality. lol.

you're going to have lots of fun. just make sure she goes potty before you take her on a tour of your home!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts